Queen Elizabeth has died.

<SNIP>Would we shut these threads down due to the sentiments of the commonwealth members?
Since you asked…

This thread contains a somber mourning of the Queen, some expected sarcasm about Charles, and a few off topic side conversations; overall it is a typical ShadowSpear thread.

GB is an important ally, and many of our members here consider the Monarchy an important part of their personal history, so other than request the that politics be left out of it (start your own I hate the Queen thread if you want), I wouldn’t touch a thing in this thread.

I see some things on here that are irreverent, that make fun of the concept of royalty, but nothing disrespectful. I would say that the intellectual leap that people who live in countries unaffected by that type of thing to understand and empathize is a pretty significant leap.

Excuse you. We're better than...

PNG?
Only just. 🤣 So to catch up as I’ve been a bit busy elsewhere; Oz comedy contributes Hannah Gadsby, not really a contribution, more like a punishment.

As for HRH QE2, as one of our ex-PMs’ said, she put her personal needs aside in favour of the common good & did not waver from that position for her entire reign. King Charles had a hard act to follow.
The jokes started early; The Queen arrives in heaven & is reunited with previous kings, queens, sundry royals of the various houses. She asks St. Peter, “why does Princess Diana have a bigger halo than me?”
“That’s not a halo, that’s a steering wheel.”

Last edited:
Hell of a run dear lady, you showed most of us how we should act, even though we still mostly act a fool.

Fiancee is a huge Royal-phile or whatever they call those people. Basically from Charles speech Harry is written out, don't see him being welcome at the Christmas party until he's divorced. They've updated the line of succession and not updated the titles of Harry's children, which customarily would be changed to Prince and Princess the moment they went into the direct line of succession as they just have with Charles ascension.

Yeah, we fought two wars to say no to that. But saying people can't be sad is like telling people they couldn't be sad about Diana or Mother Theresa. And I think Diana's funeral was up there in the historic TV ratings department. Hell, do you see how many idiots in this country worship Ernesto Guevara de la Serna?

What is so disrespectful? Honest, non-sarcastic question.

This is an American hosted forum… a large portion of the DOD is of Irish, Latino and native ancestry (usually 2/3 or 3/3 of those categories) and will likely not be fans of the monarchy…. Would we shut these threads down due to the sentiments of the commonwealth members?
Not disrespectful eh? Id love to see the reaction to this thread if it was about a sitting POTUS. American hosted means what? The fact that you wrote that speaks volumes, this is "hosted" in the USA and has been an international forum from day one, NOT an American one.
The former Queen was a champion for everyone so yeah your wounded minority BS is irrelevant to her memory. Do you respect the office of the POTUS even though that office presided over the slaughter, ethnic cleansing and subjugation of the native Americans in the USA?
Who said anything about shutting down any thread? Not I, I would remove all the extraneous bullshit that was added to this thread which was the normal way we ran things here back in the day.
whatever, you do you. No one told you that you had to post here.

Not disrespectful eh? Id love to see the reaction to this thread if it was about a sitting POTUS. American hosted means what? The fact that you wrote that speaks volumes, this is "hosted" in the USA and has been an international forum from day one, NOT an American one.
The former Queen was a champion for everyone so yeah your wounded minority BS is irrelevant to her memory. Do you respect the office of the POTUS even though that office presided over the slaughter, ethnic cleansing and subjugation of the native Americans in the USA?
Who said anything about shutting down any thread? Not I, I would remove all the extraneous bullshit that was added to this thread which was the normal way we ran things here back in the day.
whatever, you do you. No one told you that you had to post here.
If it was an American president the reaction would likely be worse, to be frank.

We haven’t always been held to this standard of respecting in the best- people on here shit on Mandela and Thatcher when they died.
There was the expected split opinions.

This forum being American hosted would imply there will be more Americans. Which may make for some very different takes on the Queen than what would get from one with a higher commonwealth forum. You’re gonna get some negative posts about any royalty.

You can call it “wounded minority BS” but I’d say the amount of likes and agrees on my post shows that those feelings are very real for a many Americans, which you can discount all you want.

No one told me I had to post here, and no one is going to tell me I can post here.

I am not sure you can swing a dead cat on here from hitting a thread that has a fair amount of disrespect for an American politician, politician's family, or celebrity. So I am not sure any 'disrespect' is unique to the queen. Actually, I am not sure how much disrespect is to the queen, as much as it is directed to 'royalty' (in however it is packaged up).

I love the queen. A great ambassador, full of grace, respect, and who believed in duty to one's country. But the family gives the Kardashians a run for their money.

If it was an American president the reaction would likely be worse, to be frank.

We haven’t always been held to this standard of respecting in the best- people on here shit on Mandela and Thatcher when they died.
There was the expected split opinions.

This forum being American hosted would imply there will be more Americans. Which may make for some very different takes on the Queen than what would get from one with a higher commonwealth forum. You’re gonna get some negative posts about any royalty.

You can call it “wounded minority BS” but I’d say the amount of likes and agrees on my post shows that those feelings are very real for a many Americans, which you can discount all you want.

No one told me I had to post here, and no one is going to tell me I can post here.
Have a feel dude.

ETA: You also said this.

I give a shit about Churchill, the MOD, UKSF, the Paras, Guy Ritchie, Idris Elba- all the great things about the UK.

All love to the English homies who have been in our corner. I still couldn’t give a shit about a group of people who are funded and fed by their people for the sake of standing around parades looking spiffy.

If shit hit the fan the King isn’t the one with the nuclear codes. I’ll send my Christmas cards to Downing Street until that changes.

Well let's get down to it. She was a driver and mechanic in the Territorial Service during the second World War. Obvious she was never going to be deployed, but she did her shift so have some respect in that regard.

I am not sure you can swing a dead cat on here from hitting a thread that has a fair amount of disrespect for an American politician, politician's family, or celebrity. So I am not sure any 'disrespect' is unique to the queen. Actually, I am not sure how much disrespect is to the queen, as much as it is directed to 'royalty' (in however it is packaged up).

I love the queen. A great ambassador, full of grace, respect, and who believed in duty to one's country. But the family gives the Kardashians a run for their money.

Nah Doc, we just have people in this thread showing their ass.

Back in the day when it came to Obit threads we had some rules that were communicated when someone posted out of line. Now I never got the red sticker in the mod election...but some posts in here are pretty trashy and unbecoming of certain folks.

Last edited:
Back in the day when it came to Obit threads we had some rules that were communicated when someone posted out of line. Now I never got the red sticker in the mod election...but some posts in here are pretty trashy and unbecoming of certain folks.

No mods or admins anymore.

comedy central season 3 episode 16 GIF by Workaholics

So I'd like to shift the discussion slightly to a topic we've discussed over the years, but I think it's worth re-visiting. For our Commonwealth friends, what is the attraction of the monarchy? Why does it elicit such strong feelings? <--- If you're not from the UK commonwealth, please refrain from answering this question, I have a separate one for you.

If you're from the US, or another country that isn't in the Commonwealth, why do you think there's such an attraction to UK royalty specifically, and royalty in general? I can't scroll through Fox News right now without a dozen Royals-related articles. For a country that says things like "we fought two wars to not GAF about royalty," we sure seem to care...

^Looking for a professional discussion without aspersions cast onto anyone. Please and thank you.

So I'd like to shift the discussion slightly to a topic we've discussed over the years, but I think it's worth re-visiting. For our Commonwealth friends, what is the attraction of the monarchy? Why does it elicit such strong feelings? <--- If you're not from the UK commonwealth, please refrain from answering this question, I have a separate one for you.

If you're from the US, or another country that isn't in the Commonwealth, why do you think there's such an attraction to UK royalty specifically, and royalty in general? I can't scroll through Fox News right now without a dozen Royals-related articles. For a country that says things like "we fought two wars to not GAF about royalty," we sure seem to care...

^Looking for a professional discussion without aspersions cast onto anyone. Please and thank you.

Well, my people are Mexicans and Indians who got subjugated by white people...(half sarcasm, and yes I have fair skin).

Even after the two wars we fought against them, we were still closely tied for a very very long time. But for modernity? I believe there was a bit of a rehabilitation of our view of the British Monarchy starting back to Victoria that then got turbo-charged under Queen Elizabeth II. After she got over her stiff upper lip, and showed more emotion at times. More emotion than any monarch in their history bar her idiot uncle it connected here and across the globe. Things changed dramatically when they did the first televised Christmas address. Then you have Princess Diana. I think if we weren't close allies then culturally we'd not give to effs.

When you then get into the modern era, all of her family went into active service. Andrew fought in the Falklands campaign. Harry deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

And honestly up until very recently, there wasn't a lot of things that were trashy about the Windsors either.

I have this steaming pot of spaghetti that I'm going to throw out to the masses and if you think it sticks to your wall, so be it.

Some of you have such thin skin you make the Ferrari tifosi, or Dallas Cowboys fans if you prefer, look like grizzled mountaineers. I'm entertained.

I have this steaming pot of spaghetti that I'm going to throw out to the masses and if you think it sticks to your wall, so be it.

Some of you have such thin skin you make the Ferrari tifosi, or Dallas Cowboys fans if you prefer, look like grizzled mountaineers. I'm entertained.
Yeah I made a general “MERICA” joke and suddenly we went full retard with the feelings.

For a country that says things like "we fought two wars to not GAF about royalty," we sure seem to care...
That's a good question...there doesn't seem to be as much attention paid to the other crowned heads of Europe, or the world for that matter...I suspect that celebrity plays a part, as well as the desire among some folks for the traditions and trappings that come with monarchy...as one descended from folks who fought those two wars to rid ourselves of the House of Hanover and its heirs and assigns, I am likewise puzzled by the amount of press the House of Windsor receives on this side of the pond...dunno...little girls want to be princesses and little boys want to be kings...?

We fought so I don’t have to give a fuck. I choose to give a fuck about Elizabeth II because I think the woman earned it several times over.

That is a decision that applies to her specifically and it does not necessarily extend to other members of the royal family.

Back