Queen Elizabeth has died.

I'll have to find some rum. Long innings for her. I'd be surprised if Charles (I'm not sure if that will be his "monarch name" ) will reign for long.
Not a rumor. King Charles III now reigns
Long live the King...
However I'd rather he bow down and give William the helm. Just my .02c
I mean, I'm not going to cry. She's the head of state not my nana.
I'm exceptionally proud that I served the Queen as a Non Commissioned Officer in the Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment.
She was a positive in a world of negativity.

As any other American I don't dig the notion of royalty and sovereignty. I bow to no man, and one woman, and she is at home 8 miles north of me.

That said, her loss--and-life--is very and rightfully meaningful, she was full of grace and poise, and was at the helm through some turbulent times. She was a model of civility and calmness that was often needed.

Trivially, she and I are 12th cousins (pity I never got an invite to any family reunions or royal pig pickings...)

https://www.relativefinder.org/#/re...y%20Windsor/John%20Newport/European%20Royalty

If I’m not mistaken, they were our Brothers-in-Arms in two world wars, the Persian Gulf War, OIF, OEF/GWOT and Commonwealth troops—New Zealanders and Australians—fought our common enemy in Southeast Asia. You may not give a shit, but they gave enough of a shit to put their lives on the line in a number of American-led causes.
I give a shit about Churchill, the MOD, UKSF, the Paras, Guy Ritchie, Idris Elba- all the great things about the UK.

All love to the English homies who have been in our corner. I still couldn’t give a shit about a group of people who are funded and fed by their people for the sake of standing around parades looking spiffy.

If shit hit the fan the King isn’t the one with the nuclear codes. I’ll send my Christmas cards to Downing Street until that changes.

I give a shit about Churchill, the MOD, UKSF, the Paras, Guy Ritchie, Idris Elba- all the great things about the UK.

All love to the English homies who have been in our corner. I still couldn’t give a shit about a group of people who are funded and fed by their people for the sake of standing around parades looking spiffy.

If shit hit the fan the King isn’t the one with the nuclear codes. I’ll send my Christmas cards to Downing Street until that changes.

I jumped with the Paras, got my wings. Crazy fuckers.

I can't believe you left Elizabeth Hurley off that list. :)

Or Emily Blunt, Kate Winslet, Emma Watson, Helen Mirren, Judy Dench, Rachel Weisz, Rosamund Pike, Emilia Clarke, Kate Beckinsale, and about 2 dozen others I can't recall....

Edited add, most of the chicks in Call the Midwife...

This isn't meant for anyone specifically but there's a huge misnomer that the Monarch costs the taxpayers money. The Firm has its own wealth and creates economic growth, just by existing.

Inside ‘The Firm’: How The Royal Family’s $28 Billion Money Machine Really Works

Jordan Peterson just did a talk in the UK and discussed the Queen. Her symbolic power, helped keep the Prime Ministers in check. Where as the current state of the US and say, Trump. He refers to him as King and President, in this speech. Because he has decades of fame, that his Presidency is built upon.

Yeah they're self funding and while the King doesn't wield power directly he does provide a good constitutional backstop, in theory, to parliament going out of control.

You know, checks and balances.

Back