Question regarding combat medical jobs in the Army

Some Guy

Unverified
I realize I tend to ramble and type before I think, so I'll keep this consise. Couldn't find the information I was looking for through search function, I apologize if I missed it.

I'm currently enlisted to be a 68w (which is to say, I haven't gone through BCT yet, pretty obviously, I imagine). For experience in combat medicine, with emphasis on medicine, would I be better off staying with this, or transitioning into a special operations medical position?

Or would that depend entirely on my unit and my personal ability?

I don't understand your question? If you want experience in medicine go to medical school, or nursing school and come in as one of those. If you want to be a combat medic join as a 68W. The best medics have a W1 identifier which means they have been to SOCM.

Are you in good shape? Could you run 5 miles right this second? Could you do 10 dead hang pull ups? 75 push ups? If the answer to any of those questions is no, SOCM isn't right for you.

I realize I tend to ramble and type before I think, so I'll keep this consise. Couldn't find the information I was looking for through search function, I apologize if I missed it.

I'm currently enlisted to be a 68w (which is to say, I haven't gone through BCT yet, pretty obviously, I imagine). For experience in combat medicine, with emphasis on medicine, would I be better off staying with this, or transitioning into a special operations medical position?

Or would that depend entirely on my unit and my personal ability?

Do you mean the same SOF position you have misgivings about attempting to earn because someone you trained may turn into Mr. Hyde?

I don't understand your question? If you want experience in medicine go to medical school, or nursing school and come in as one of those. If you want to be a combat medic join as a 68W. The best medics have a W1 identifier which means they have been to SOCM.

Are you in good shape? Could you run 5 miles right this second? Could you do 10 dead hang pull ups? 75 push ups? If the answer to any of those questions is no, SOCM isn't right for you.

I could run 5 miles, but the rest, I'm still working on.

As for my question, my interest is in combat medicine, so, being a combat medic, but I'm slightly more interested in the medical side of it.

So, a job where I'm more involved with medevacs, and aid stations, would be preferable, but fieldwork also interests me.

I guess my question is, do special operations medics work with those, or anything similar, or do they tend to focus more on the combat side of the job?

Do you mean the same SOF position you have misgivings about attempting to earn because someone you trained may turn into Mr. Hyde?

Hey, my only sources of info are Hollywood, Google, the news, and a recruiter, all of which I trust about as far as I can throw, so unless one of those suddenly became honest, I'm pretty much clueless

Hey man, from a quick Google search I found the Navy's description of the joint SOCM course. Special Operations Combat Medic Course

"The goal of the Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) course is to train and qualify selected enlisted members to manage trauma patients, manage patients prior to medical evacuation, and provide basic medical care to team members."

Think of SOCM trained medics as "mid-level" providers, similar to civilian PA.

NOTE: information sourced from internet and books, not experience. Please understand I don't have experience in this subject.

Hey man, from a quick Google search I found the Navy's description of the joint SOCM course. Special Operations Combat Medic Course

"The goal of the Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) course is to train and qualify selected enlisted members to manage trauma patients, manage patients prior to medical evacuation, and provide basic medical care to team members."

NOTE: information sourced from internet and books, not experience. Please understand I don't have experience in this subject.

Thanks, though, I'm asking more about if they tend to get more experience using that medical training, I do know that SOCOM medics are some of the best first responder personnel around, I just don't know how frequently they have to use it

Correction, meant to say if they get more experience with the other parts of the combat medic job, such as medivacs, aid stations, etc

I was a lowly Paratrooper medic with no special operations experience but in my opinion, it depends on your unit and when you go in. Like TLDR said, some of the best line docs are SOCM's but if you go to a line unit, you will do some good medic shit also. Depends on what you want, like what has been said.

M.

I was a lowly Paratrooper medic with no special operations experience but in my opinion, it depends on your unit and when you go in. Like TLDR said, some of the best line docs are SOCM's but if you go to a line unit, you will do some good medic shit also. Depends on what you want, like what has been said.

M.

Alright, got it, thanks for the info

I could run 5 miles, but the rest, I'm still working on.

As for my question, my interest is in combat medicine, so, being a combat medic, but I'm slightly more interested in the medical side of it.

So, a job where I'm more involved with medevacs, and aid stations, would be preferable, but fieldwork also interests me.

I guess my question is, do special operations medics work with those, or anything similar, or do they tend to focus more on the combat side of the job?

I can only speak as an 18D, which you likely will never become, but as an 18D a minuscule amount of time is spent on training medically compared to training for the myriad of other shit you have to do. Shooting, demo, jumping, communications training, all kinds of miscellaneous stuff. All of that has a medical component. You will be lugging your aid bag around, you will be treating teammates for illnesses, seeing their kids for ear infections. Maybe once a year you do an official battalion level refresh, and every two you do a SOCM refresh. As for working in a clinic, stateside that is rare occurrence. Deployed you may run your own clinic.

A SOCM medic is nothing like a PA. A SOCM medic is a really good trauma and critical care transport paramedic/nurse.

@TLDR20 My mistake.

An author from ArmyRanger.com (with his piece republished by the Havok Journal) describes his SOCM course experience, writing that "because of the often austere and remote environments in which you will operate your scope of practice is comparable to a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician’s Assistant."
http://havokjournal.com/national-security/inside-the-special-operations-combat-medic-course/

Of course civilian PA's do not practice medicine while under fire or rope out of helos like a SOCM, but is this author's description (of a certain role) still accurate?

I'm not in any way attempting to argue or challenge anyone's experience, I would just like to clarify any confusion on my part.

I can only speak as an 18D, which you likely will never become, but as an 18D a minuscule amount of time is spent on training medically compared to training for the myriad of other shit you have to do. Shooting, demo, jumping, communications training, all kinds of miscellaneous stuff. All of that has a medical component. You will be lugging your aid bag around, you will be treating teammates for illnesses, seeing their kids for ear infections. Maybe once a year you do an official battalion level refresh, and every two you do a SOCM refresh. As for working in a clinic, stateside that is rare occurrence. Deployed you may run your own clinic.

I'll keep all that in mind, thanks

@TLDR20 My mistake.

An author from ArmyRanger.com (with his piece republished by the Havok Journal) describes his SOCM course experience, writing that "because of the often austere and remote environments in which you will operate your scope of practice is comparable to a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician’s Assistant."
Inside the Special Operations Combat Medic Course

Of course civilian PA's do not practice medicine while under fire or rope out of helos like a SOCM, but is this author's description (of a certain role) still accurate?

I'm not in any way attempting to argue or challenge anyone's experience, I would just like to clarify any confusion on my part.

The author doesn't have a great grasp on the realities of the scope of an NP or a PA. I was under a similar impression before I became a nurse and have seen how NP's and PA's practice outside the Army. I would say a 18D or Navy SARC IDC is closer to a PA than a SOCM medic but still a long long way off.

A good example is based simply off of what you have in austere environment on which to base any potential diagnosis, while good for an austere environment, a SOF medic is at best treating a surface condition. A SOF independent practitioner like an 18D or SARC IDC simply doesn't have the ability to delve deeper than a cursory lab check. Much of what we do is formulaic, when stuff falls outside of that formula, there isn't the same level of ability. There is a reason we are trained to be able to call back and relay symptoms to a PA or MD, then treat off their recommendation.

ETA: for reference I was one of Kirby's instructors in CTM.

Last edited:

That's the thing that many people never realize. It was true for me in the Army and it's true in SWAT. What may be a training evolution for everyone else is always a real-world mission for the medic because we must always be ready for things to go tits up. It could be a training accident or something unexpected like new onset PSVT or biliary colic or renal calculi, but that's why we're there (in addition to doing all the training everyone else is).

While your enthusiasm is understandable and you dropped the caveat regarding books, the others in this thread are supplying information based upon their experiences, one of whom is a former 18D instructor. I'd refrain from posting about things outside of your experience.

While your enthusiasm is understandable and you dropped the caveat regarding books, the others in this thread are supplying information based upon their experiences, one of whom is a former 18D instructor. I'd refrain from posting about things outside of your experience.

I understand and will stay in my lane.

Back