Race Descriptions Removed from Crime Alerts

Blizzard

Last edited:
This got ugly last year. Folks were being mugged/assulted on a regular basis on campus and the description was ALWAYS "black". The black students began to complain because campus police were profiling them (black male = potential suspect). Minneapolis is a hotbed for race issues as it is, this only made things worse. I'm not surprised that this happened, and don't know what the answer is, but what messsage are you conveying when you do this?

I won't apologize for saying this, to the best of my recollection not one of the on-campus assults were reported to be committed by any other race than black. Not reporting that, does not change anything. If anything it highlights the problem by saying "so many black men are committing crime that we don't walk to talk about it anymore"

As stupid as it may be:
A) It is one university.
B) The description has to be detailed., but unfortunately it doesn't describe the threshold.

The policy is stupid and the article half-assed, but it isn't the end of the world. Whe this becomes a trend or the norm, then we have problems.

Things like this do tend to change people's views of things like demographics. There is a report entitled "Miscounting Race: Explaining Whites' Misrepresentation of Racial Group Size" that I read in class that uses data like the above to show how whites often completely overestimate the proportion of our population that is minority, particularly black. Most whites' estimate that America is over 50% black, when in actuality that number is well below 15%. However because of how they are portrayed in media whites consistently overestimate. Changing the way we report crime would probably help change the misperceptions.

Here is another link.

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/journa..._shaped_our_perception_of_race_and_crime.html

As stupid as it may be:
A) It is one university.
B) The description has to be detailed., but unfortunately it doesn't describe the threshold.

The policy is stupid and the article half-assed, but it isn't the end of the world. Whe this becomes a trend or the norm, then we have problems.
Agree the article was light on details/background.

Here's a couple more that I found with a bit more info:
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/02/25/u-crime-alerts
Key:
MPRNews said:
Kaler said suspect descriptions will still be included when they help identify a potentially dangerous suspect, but that when the description is too general, the university will "note that only a limited description of the suspect(s) is available."

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/294128071.html
Key:
StarTribune said:
University of Minnesota police will stop sending out what they consider vague descriptions of suspects in campus crime alerts after criticism that authorities sometimes release racial descriptions and little other concrete information.

From now on, the campuswide bulletins triggered by serious crimes such as robbery and aggravated assault will only include the suspect’s description “when there is sufficient detail that would help identify a specific individual or group,” U Vice President Pamela Wheelock said Wednesday in an e-mail to students, faculty and staff...

...“For some, knowing they have all the information available about a crime, including the complete suspect description, makes them feel better informed and increases how safe they feel,” Wheelock said in the e-mail. “But others — particularly black men — have shared that suspect descriptions negatively impact their sense of safety.”...

...The campus advocacy group Whose Diversity?, which has been behind several recent high-profile demonstrations at the U, said in a statement Wednesday afternoon that it was pleased with the university’s “active engagement with the issue of racialized crime alerts from the administration.”

The group said, however, that the U’s announcement gave the impression that “the administration remains unconvinced that racial profiling has real and tangible consequences.”

A member of the group cited a study by university authorities that found that about a third of campus crime alerts provided “a limited suspect description.” That means race could still be included in about two-thirds of the crime alerts.

Note: According to Wikipedia, the University of Minnesota is the 6th largest student body in the U.S. with more than 50,000 students. It's an urban location with Minneapolis and St. Paul campus, with the main campus boarding downtown Minneapolis.

Last edited:
Things like this do tend to change people's views of things like demographics. There is a report entitled "Miscounting Race: Explaining Whites' Misrepresentation of Racial Group Size" that I read in class that uses data like the above to show how whites often completely overestimate the proportion of our population that is minority, particularly black. Most whites' estimate that America is over 50% black, when in actuality that number is well below 15%. However because of how they are portrayed in media whites consistently overestimate. Changing the way we report crime would probably help change the misperceptions.

Here is another link.

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/journa..._shaped_our_perception_of_race_and_crime.html
If there is a crime worthy of enough for authorities to put out an alert in my community, I want all available info related to the suspect to be shared, including race - even if it makes some people uncomfortable. I don't care if the person is black, white, yellow, or purple. We can't pretend facts don't exist.

Blizzard - I think the key word you used is, relevant. For example:

- Black male, about 6' tall, very slender build with short cropped hair and a small scar above left eye. That would be a description that makes race relevant
- Black male, wearing a Raiders hat and a blue jacket. This does not give a quality description; there is no point in adding race here. As I recall from last year's incidents, this was often an example of the 'official' description given.

Minneapolis is a hotbed for race issues as it is, this only made things worse.

Living in Orlando, we're always hearing about how f'ed up Sanford is in regards to race relations. However, since when did Minneapolis become such a racial pressure cooker?

Saying "the suspect is a black male" does not give an accurate description of a suspect. It narrows it down to 1/6 Americans, but then what does it do on the nightly news? Like you said @Blizzard facts are facts, it is a fact that things like this on the news and on crime alerts reinforce negative stereotypes. It serves to make every black man a potential suspect. They will still say the race if there is enough other information to make the description more detailed than just "tall black male"

Blizzard - I think the key word you used is, relevant. For example:

- Black male, about 6' tall, very slender build with short cropped hair and a small scar above left eye. That would be a description that makes race relevant
- Black male, wearing a Raiders hat and a blue jacket. This does not give a quality description; there is no point in adding race here. As I recall from last year's incidents, this was often an example of the 'official' description given.

I think it depends greatly on how soon after the incident the alert is going out. I find it highly relevant if it's within a day or so, as witnesses or those who potentially know the suspect may aid in identification.

Living in Orlando, we're always hearing about how f'ed up Sanford is in regards to race relations. However, since when did Minneapolis become such a racial pressure cooker?

I live in Lake Mary and my family tends to go Sanford for everyday shopping like Target, Walmart, Publix, etc. Maybe we don't go into bad neighborhoods, but I've never seen all of this racial hatred and shyte discussed during the Zimmerman trial. I'm not saying bad areas don't exist, but the portrait shown to America during the trial is one of a city primed to riot and I just don't see that. Maybe it is east of 17/92 but we also don't have a reason to that way.

Here is another link.

Are you sure about that? The abstract said only one study (done 10 years ago) found 14% of white Americans thought that America was 50% black. That's 14% of one study, done ten years ago, with no indication of the sample size or the parameters of the study, whether the study was peer-reviewed, or if more recent studies contradict that figure. No doubt people over-estimate size of US minority groups, but there's a big difference between that and "most whites," don't you think?

Are you sure about that? The abstract said only one study (done 10 years ago) found 14% of white Americans thought that America was 50% black. That's 14% of one study, done ten years ago, with no indication of the sample size or the parameters of the study, whether the study was peer-reviewed, or if more recent studies contradict that figure. No doubt people over-estimate size of US minority groups, but there's a big difference between that and "most whites," don't you think?

I will find my study and post the numbers. You have to pay to read it online but I have it in book form.

As an aside, ask someone today what percentage of America is black. I have had 1 person guess within 5 points.

Last edited:
First thought is that this puts the university in violation of the Clery Act's mandate for timely warnings. A warning is useless if the description of the bad guy is generic.

It's true that often witness and victim descriptions of perpetrators fit many people, but the description is what it is. It doesn't help anyone to further muddle the issue by removing a key identifier.

I will find my study and post the numbers. You have to pay to read it online but I have it in book form.

As an aside, ask someone today what percentage of America is black. I have had 1 person guess within 5 points.

So I guess my reply of "why should I care" would probably be considered wrong too... since I really don't give two shits about race.

I give a shit about people, and if you're worth the oxygen you intake or if you should be required to have houseplants to at least offset your lack of value to the species.

The big issue is that 'victims' do not think to get a good description. Remember, we as veterans/military/LEO community are to varying degrees Trained observers... and think to look for identifying marks, features or physical anomalies. Joe or Jane Schmuckatelli on the street has no clue.

This debate is one of the craziest I have ever read. Race is unimportant? Then I guess color of a vehicle, eyes, jacket, are irrelevant. "A dude just mugged me, go find him" 1 in 4, 2 in 4, 3 in 4 is still relevant you just eliminated a part of your suspects. " A white dude with natural blond hair and green eyes just mugged me, go find him" figure out the statistics on that. It is even less than the black population. So race does help.....add red hair into the equation even less of the population.

So I guess my reply of "why should I care" would probably be considered wrong too... since I really don't give two shits about race.

I give a shit about people, and if you're worth the oxygen you intake or if you should be required to have houseplants to at least offset your lack of value to the species.

I said almost that exact thing at work the other day. I believe many gen Z are of the same ilk.

The big issue is that 'victims' do not think to get a good description. Remember, we as veterans/military/LEO community are to varying degrees Trained observers... and think to look for identifying marks, features or physical anomalies. Joe or Jane Schmuckatelli on the street has no clue.

In my experience, they get descriptions generally right. Especially race. I have made countless arrests in the immediate aftermath to a crime based on very specific witness descriptions. It's being more specific to a person, such as in a line-up, where problems have historically arisen. Switching to sequential lineups has greatly lessened the chances of a false positive identification.

I live in Lake Mary and my family tends to go Sanford for everyday shopping like Target, Walmart, Publix, etc. Maybe we don't go into bad neighborhoods, but I've never seen all of this racial hatred and shyte discussed during the Zimmerman trial. I'm not saying bad areas don't exist, but the portrait shown to America during the trial is one of a city primed to riot and I just don't see that. Maybe it is east of 17/92 but we also don't have a reason to that way.
They do have an awesome German restaurant. There's the Zimmerman thing, the mob that beat that pregnant lady, but I guess not that much. I suppose it's more like the town's got a rep.

Back