Race Descriptions Removed from Crime Alerts

You know what, I find it offensive that they keep saying these attackers were "Male". It's sexist and should be removed from the description, it unfairly makes 50% of the population look bad.

You know what, I find it offensive that they keep saying these attackers were "Male". It's sexist and should be removed from the description, it unfairly makes 50% of the population look bad.
I was going to make this same point.

...and then there's those fuckers with tattoos...

I will find my study and post the numbers. You have to pay to read it online but I have it in book form.
Thanks- that's exactly the reason I didn't read the whole thing. I was interested in the article, but not interested enough to pay for it ;)

You miss the point. It's okay to target or vilify "approved" groups like men, Christians, or veterans, but not unapproved groups like women, muslims, or minorities. I don't undertand why this is so difficult to understand. :rolleyes:

Are you sure about that? The abstract said only one study (done 10 years ago) found 14% of white Americans thought that America was 50% black. That's 14% of one study, done ten years ago, with no indication of the sample size or the parameters of the study, whether the study was peer-reviewed, or if more recent studies contradict that figure. No doubt people over-estimate size of US minority groups, but there's a big difference between that and "most whites," don't you think?

Well this is according to the article, rather than typing it all out, I'm going to take a picture and upload it:
image.jpg

Well this is according to the article, rather than typing it all out, I'm going to take a picture and upload it:
View attachment 12675
Great. Now, I have to see the doc for this kink in my neck. ;-) Besides, there's only like 12 black people in Minnesota, so I'm pretty sure the non-white population is not being dramatically overstated. ;-) To me, that's really a Red Herring arguement to this issue.

As pardus, eluded to earlier, do you think gender should be included in descriptions? Same argument can be made; why are all nearly all suspects male - doesn't that mischaracterize myself and the rest of the law abiding male population as predators...or does it simply state a fact?

Great. Now, I have to see the doc for this kink in my neck. ;-) Besides, there's only like 12 black people in Minnesota, so I'm pretty sure the non-white population is not being dramatically overstated. ;-) To me, that's really a Red Herring arguement to this issue.

As pardus, eluded to earlier, do you think gender should be included in descriptions? Same argument can be made; why are all nearly all suspects male - doesn't that mischaracterize myself and the rest of the law abiding male population as predators...or does it simply state a fact?

To try and portray men, or Christians or any other majority as a minority is such a joke.
These are not police warnings, this goes out to the entire school. Does every member of the school(student, faculty, worker, administrator) need to know that a "black male" robbed someone on the other side of campus? Is viewing every black person as a possible suspect for the rest of the day a valuable tool? I don't think it is. I think there is more damage done by such thinking, and it is very well demonstrated.

Does every member of the school(student, faculty, worker, administrator) need to know that a "black male" robbed someone on the other side of campus?

By itself, I can kinda' see your point. IF literally the only thing in the report is "black male", then it's truly a worthless report. But the racial sensitivity aspect of it needs to go, by default unless there is some other reason to suspect that there is systemic racism. And I'm not saying it doesn't happen in today's world, but systemic racism is WAY more likely to be alleged than it actually is to have occurred in my personal experience in the private and public sector. The issue here isn't racism, it's crap reporting and either lots of black males committing crimes, or the same mofo's making a killing snatching iPhones and wallets on that campus.

By itself, I can kinda' see your point. IF literally the only thing in the report is "black male", then it's truly a worthless report. But the racial sensitivity aspect of it needs to go, by default unless there is some other reason to suspect that there is systemic racism. And I'm not saying it doesn't happen in today's world, but systemic racism is WAY more likely to be alleged than it actually is to have occurred in my personal experience in the private and public sector. The issue here isn't racism, it's crap reporting and either lots of black males committing crimes, or the same mofo's making a killing snatching iPhones and wallets on that campus.

So me and my wife get two schools emergency alerts. Most often it is "tall black male" now if I see this twice a week for 4 years how am I going to view the world moving forward? This isn't about racism, it is about tweaking something that has shown to have a negative impact so as to change that impact a little bit.

To try and portray men, or Christians or any other majority as a minority is such a joke.

If it's inappropriate to identify someone by race, why is it appropriate to identify someone by gender? Aren't most perpetrators men? Why is it okay to identify men and not blacks?

These are not police warnings, this goes out to the entire school. Does every member of the school(student, faculty, worker, administrator) need to know that a "black male" robbed someone on the other side of campus? Is viewing every black person as a possible suspect for the rest of the day a valuable tool? I don't think it is. I think there is more damage done by such thinking, and it is very well demonstrated.

If you aren't going to describe the perpetrator, so people can be alert and aware, why send out an alert at all? What purpose does the alert serve if it doesn't describe the perp?

If it's inappropriate to identify someone by race, why is it appropriate to identify someone by gender? Aren't most perpetrators men? Why is it okay to identify men and not blacks?

If you aren't going to describe the perpetrator, so people can be alert and aware, why send out an alert at all? What purpose does the alert serve if it doesn't describe the perp?

If there is sufficient description then the race will still be described. If the only description is black male in hoodie and mask, that description is not relevant to most of the people who see the description.

The problem with removing race isn't just a description. If we apply this "equality" thing to the entire narrative then why have ANY description save for clothing...assuming the clothing isn't religious in nature?

Race or sex or whatever, we can't protect one category over the others. Rather, we shouldn't.

So me and my wife get two schools emergency alerts. Most often it is "tall black male" now if I see this twice a week for 4 years how am I going to view the world moving forward? This isn't about racism, it is about tweaking something that has shown to have a negative impact so as to change that impact a little bit.

If attacks are coming from "Black Males" then Black males should be described in the description. Jesus dude, this is common sense stuff. Not racial.

If there is sufficient description then the race will still be described. If the only description is black male in hoodie and mask, that description is not relevant to most of the people who see the description.

Then why send out an alert at all?

So you would prefer someone got robbed across campus and the description is brown eyes, black hair? That just described 25% of the women I dated. But the subject is a white male with black long hair and a green tee shirt with brown eyes. Yes everyone needs to know. Black, white, or purple not giving a full description is just plan stupid. The police are constantly talking about community policing, you just took that out of the equation. They just made their job harder.

If the only description is black male in hoodie and mask, that description is not relevant to most of the people who see the description.

I think getting out as much information as possible to the community can only help the community find and apprehend a suspect.

So, apparently the University of Minnesota isn't going to follow their previously announced policy?:

U of M Student Sexually Assaulted off Campus; Suspect at Large

The suspect is described as a white man, 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a medium building. He was wearing a black-hooded sweatshirt and black sweatpants with thee white stripes down the side.

Hmmm...will those protestors show up in the office, angered over the release of this ambiguous description?

Last edited:
If the only description is black male in hoodie and mask, that description is not relevant to most of the people who see the description.
The suspect is described as a white man, 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a medium building. He was wearing a black-hooded sweatshirt and black sweatpants with thee white stripes down the side.
So they did the same thing. Is it just as rasict and irreverent even though they said white male?

Back