Race Descriptions Removed from Crime Alerts

So, apparently the University of Minnesota isn't going to follow their previously announced policy?:

U of M Student Sexually Assaulted off Campus; Suspect at Large

Hmmm...will those protestors show up in the office, angered over the release of this ambiguous description?
To be fair, it looks like the report itself is coming from the Minneapolis Police Department. The previous article detailing the policy said that the UofM will drop race descriptions from campus crime alerts, which I imagine would cover internal emails/notices to students and staff. That probably doesn't prevent police from reporting race descriptions to the media, as we are seeing here.

Now, if this report IS coming from the university itself, that's a policy violation and a pretty hypocritical thing to do. Though I have to wonder why the school would be handling security issues occurring outside of school grounds.

I'm seeing two different stories presented here. One from the local CBS affiliate says that the MPD are looking into the matter:
Police are looking for a suspect after a University of Minnesota student was the victim of a sexual assault.
Authorities said the incident happened at about 12:45 a.m. Monday, off campus, near the intersection of 8th Street SE and 13th Avenue SE. Police said the victim was scraping snow from her car in an apartment parking lot when the suspect approached from behind and sprayed her in the face with an irritant.
The suspect then forced the female to the ground and sexually assaulted her, police said. The suspect then fled the area through an alley.
Police responded to the incident and searched the area for the suspect, but could not locate him. The victim was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.
Police said the victim described the suspect as a white male about 5 feet, 10 inches to 6 feet, 1 inch tall with a medium build. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black sweatpants with three white stripes on the side at the time of the incident.
Minneapolis Police said the incident is under investigation, and anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police tip line at -

HOWEVER, the Star Tribune released a slightly different version of the story: http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/297282491.html
A 20-year-old University of Minnesota student clearing snow off her car near campus was ambushed from behind and raped in a parking lot late at night, authorities said. The suspect remains at large.
The attack occurred in a residential lot about 12:45 a.m. Monday near 8th Street and 13th Avenue SE., about two blocks northwest of various university athletic buildings and facilities, according to campus police.
As the woman was clearing her car of freshly fallen snow, a man sneaked up from behind and sprayed a chemical irritant in her face, university police said in a campus crime alert sent to students, staff members and others.
The man then forced the woman to the ground and raped her before fleeing down an alley, U police added.
The woman was treated at Hennepin County Medical Center, according to the Minneapolis Police Department, which is handling the investigation.
University police released a description of the suspect that included few specifics.

If that description came from the university cops as indicated by the Star Tribune story, then the school is very likely violating its own policy.

Violating a sensless policy, that no one will no protest because the color of the suspects skin.

To be fair, it looks like the report itself is coming from the Minneapolis Police Department. The previous article detailing the policy said that the UofM will drop race descriptions from campus crime alerts, which I imagine would cover internal emails/notices to students and staff. That probably doesn't prevent police from reporting race descriptions to the media, as we are seeing here.

Now, if this report IS coming from the university itself, that's a policy violation and a pretty hypocritical thing to do. Though I have to wonder why the school would be handling security issues occurring outside of school grounds.

I'm seeing two different stories presented here. One from the local CBS affiliate says that the MPD are looking into the matter:

HOWEVER, the Star Tribune released a slightly different version of the story: http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/297282491.html

If that description came from the university cops as indicated by the Star Tribune story, then the school is very likely violating its own policy.
Yet another source:
http://www.kare11.com/story/news/cr...us-rape-triggers-u-of-m-crime-alert/70329104/
The University of Minnesota (U of M) has issued a crime alert after a woman was attacked and raped just off campus early Monday...

...the suspect is a white male, five feet ten to six feet one inch tall with a medium build. He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black sweatpants with three white stripes on the side.
Don't know who is the real driver of the description above (UMPD or MPD) but does anyone still truly believe that adding race to this description is not important?

"All units, be advised - shots fired - vehicle taken. Be on the lookout for a person and a vehicle - Nothing further" :rolleyes:

If that was what was happening/what the rule was, then I would be rolling my eyes as well. This rule was to only stop them from using descriptions of race in their campus alert system(mostly an email alert that goes out to all faculty, students, and staff when any crime happens on campus). NOT to prevent police from using descriptions to find perps.

Last edited:
Bad form on UoM's part. I understand their intent, but this is not the way to do it. As others have said, removing race from crime alerts that will go out to those most affected is not going to help.

If that was what was happening/what the rule was, then I would be rolling my eyes as well. This rule was to only stop them from using descriptions of race in their campus alert system(mostly an email alert that goes out to all faculty, students, and staff when any crime happens on campus). NOT to prevent police from using descriptions to find perps.

C'mon dude. The post was meant as sarcasm, but also, an indication of just how stupid things will get if the PC nut jobs continue on.

As for the safety of all on a campus, in my book, that trumps all - including as much of a description, as possible. Hurt your feelings in the process of potentially saving lives or a life? Oh well.

"All units, be advised - shots fired - vehicle taken. Be on the lookout for a person and a vehicle - Nothing further" :rolleyes:

What COLOR was the vehicle??? Better yet, was it Japanese, Korean, German, or perhaps British? Xenophobia???

Relaying whether it was a motorcycle or auto would be disparaging against four-wheel modes of transportation.:D

It is "interesting" how race is an issue in MN but MA police can throw out the 4th Amendment when looking for a terrorist suspect. PC is only correct when it fits a political viewpoint.

...and here we go...

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/302589281.html

Police: University of Minnesota student raped at knife-point by 2 suspects in her dorm room
The victim said she didn't know her attackers; police have no “detailed descriptions” to release.

Two young men, one armed with a knife, raped a University of Minnesota student in her dorm room, authorities said Tuesday. No arrests have been made.

The assault occurred between 12:45 and 1:30 a.m. Sunday in Sanford Hall, in the 1100 block of University Avenue SE., according to campus police. The victim, a freshman, reported the assault to U police the next day and said she did not know her attackers.

“Unfortunately, we have very limited suspect descriptions at this time,” Busse said, declining to offer any more than the student described her attackers as 18 to 21 years old.

The university said in late February that it was raising the bar on the specificity needed before suspect descriptions would be released to the public. The change in policy followed criticism that authorities sometimes release racial descriptions and little other concrete information about at-large suspects.

<snip>

I swear that I am not trying to be jaded, but with all the pub the U's announcement made about not disclosing race, the phrase : police have no “detailed descriptions” to release automatically makes the assumption the suspects are black. Stupid politically correct bullshit.

So, apparently the University of Minnesota isn't going to follow their previously announced policy?:

U of M Student Sexually Assaulted off Campus; Suspect at Large

Hmmm...will those protestors show up in the office, angered over the release of this ambiguous description?

If you go to the U's website they didn't violate their policy which says in part,

"Crime Alerts may include the following details:
a) A description of the incident
b) Physical description of the suspect
c) A photo or composite drawing of the suspect, if available
d) Apparent connection to previous incidents, if applicable
e) Any other pertinent information relating to the crime
f) Relevant crime prevention tips"

https://police.umn.edu/crime-alerts

Putting out a description of 5' 10" medium build regardless of race is appropriate. Just offering a race alone, unless at best your offering a specific race for each incident, isn't necessarily going to be beneficial or appropriate.

Hmmm...so I may need to rethink my thoughts around the whole "releasing the race thing" without a good description. Turns out the bitch lied. I don't use that word lightly, but in this case I think it fits.

I wish the university would come out and say the same thing, but instead they keep referring to her as a student in crisis. Give me a fucking break.

I'm guessing that sometime in the next few hours I'll be able to post a statement from the University hailing their decision not to provide a racial description as a success in not reinforcing stereotypes. I guess in this case, they would be right.

Note, I am only assuming she told the police that the men were black, I make that assumption because it seems like every time somebody falsely accuses someone of attacking them or trying to abduct them, they always point out black men.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/303006671.html

University of Minnesota police said Thursday that the student who reported being raped by armed strangers in her dorm Sunday was “in crisis” and in need of “professional assistance.”

They no longer believe that she was the victim of an armed sexual assault, as originally reported, according to Vice President Pam Wheelock, who oversees the Police Department.

I hope that she is charged for making a false report.
It's also meaningless to the subject of this thread IMO.

Back