Random Interesting Bits of History

I want to believe, but until someone pulls a serial number or the like off the seabed...

See also: DB Cooper (I still think he went in, no pull, high speed dirt)
Concur. There was a vague shape at the bottom of the ocean that depending on the angle looks like anything from a plane to the face of Jesus.

"We spent $13 million looking for something and found nothing... except this completely random image that we DESPERATELY hope is SOMETHING."

This post is based on a metric shit ton of reading.

ID'ing aircraft wreckage is either easy or insanely difficult. Planes have a number of parts, like the engines, with serial numbers that can be used to ID the aircraft, assuming the SN is visible and records of the a/c remain.

Her plane has details which can be used such as patches on the plane's skin and customization for the interior. Plus, even if they can't ID her specific a/c, but can confirm an overall model, how many Lockheed Electras were lost in that area? This is assuming the a/c is intact...

Aircraft archaeology is fascinating, but you need a wreck and not a sonar printout used to scam procure funds for an expedition.

The article said it's 5,000 meters underwater. That's deeper than the Titanic. I'm sure they can get better resolution but I imagine it will not be enough to pull serial numbers.
Yeah, from what I've read 5000 -6000 meters is max depth for a drop camera. Can only imagine the costs involved. Good chance it won't happen.

And some of those are going to be pretty shallow.

If I had the money I would take a tour of the Pacific battlefields. Island by island by island.

Me too. Guadalcanal would be my first stop.

I do have a packet of black volcanic sand from Iwo Jima that a 5th MarDiv Iwo vet friend sent me when he revisited the island in 2006.

I’ve been to Guam and Okinawa. I’d like to see Tarawa and Peleliu.

Concur. There was a vague shape at the bottom of the ocean that depending on the angle looks like anything from a plane to the face of Jesus.

"We spent $13 million looking for something and found nothing... except this completely random image that we DESPERATELY hope is SOMETHING."
Follow up. The explorer says there were never a lot of WWII planes in that area and sounds pretty confident that he'll be able to pull it up.

I didn't think the images look like an Electra, due the swept wings. But I suppose the wings could be swept in the crash?

MSN

Follow up. The explorer says there were never a lot of WWII planes in that area and sounds pretty confident that he'll be able to pull it up.

I didn't think the images look like an Electra, due the swept wings. But I suppose the wings could be swept in the crash?

MSN
Wings were slightly swept on the leading edge. It's possible the leading edge collapsed due to water pressure, same with the trailing edges,
One the plane filled with water it would sink, how fast it hit the sea floor would also determine how damaged the structure is.
I'll wait and withhold judgement either way until wreckage gets pulled up.

Back