Ranger Assessment and Selection Program (RASP)

You just don't need to be sending the shitbags to school/ Weed them out prior so you don't have fucking idiots that have a tab on their shoulder which means they WILL get a leadership position in the unit at some point.

I have had to deal with the fallout of too many tabs that never should have been SENT let alone should have been peered out in fucking DARBY.

My guess would be they probably do the first half of RASP and then head over to Regiment for a little train up program for them specifically. With RSTB now in the loop I don't have a full understanding. Rizzo or HHC can probably make a call to some guys at RTD and get answers if you need them Sir. My contact is no longer at RTD.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to inconvenience you. I'll just call down there on MON. My interest in RASP stems from the thesis I'm writing on "Improving intel support to the SF Group;" one of the main tenets of the paper is the need for some type of screening/assessment program for support troops going to SF Groups. Right now SF is the only SOF organization with a comparable mission that doesn't screen, assess, or train its supporters (Rangers, Delta, 160th, JSOC all do).

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2010/September/100908-03.html

FORT BENNING, Ga. (Courtesy of The Bayonet, Sept. 8, 2010) – The 75th Ranger Regiment has refined its assessment and selection process to expand the training and evaluation windows for potential candidates.

The unit is sending some Soldiers straight to Ranger School from the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program and Small Unit Ranger Tactics course, instead of to a battalion and deployment. The first two to take that route – Sgt. Joshua Fish and Spc. Brendan Smith - graduated Aug. 27.

"What makes these guys unique is they're the first to graduate from RASP 1 and go on to Ranger School," said Sgt. 1st Class Tyson Crosby, NCOIC of RASP 1. "Normally how it works, a guy will graduate from RASP 1, he'll go to his battalion, he'll train up and he might do one or two deployments ... Then, when his leadership determines he's ready to go to Ranger School, they'll send him to SURT first. The difference here is these guys have never been to a battalion."

RASP 1 replaced the regiment's Ranger Indoctrination Program in January, Crosby said. The instruction period for RASP 1 is eight weeks long, compared to four under the old RIP system. RASP 1 is for pay grades E-1 to E-5, while Soldiers E-6 and above - including officers - go through RASP 2.

He said the adjustments were made to give the regiment more time to scrutinize prospective unit members. Under the RIP, the top five percent of graduates were sent to Ranger School, as selected by cadre.

"We want the best guys in the (75th) Ranger Regiment," he said. "The longer we have to assess and select them and make sure they're performing, the better ... That's the reason we changed it, so we continue to select the best guys for service in the Ranger regiment. "When it comes down to it, one really good guy or great guy is better than three average ones."

Smith's journey went from one station unit training and Airborne School to RASP 1 and SURT, a three-week regimental program that mirrors the Warrior Training Center's Pre-Ranger Course. Then came 61 days in Ranger School.

Fish, who was already in the Army, started at RASP 1 and SURT but had to go to Ranger School before joining the regiment. All Infantry sergeants seeking an assignment at the 75th must be Ranger School graduates. Soldiers in lower ranks can attend at a later date, even if they failed on first attempts.

"These guys are the first to complete the new pipeline," said Sgt. 1st Class Eric Bohannon, the regiment's SURT NCOIC. "We're definitely looking for quality over quantity."

The regiment must send 550 to 600 Soldiers through RASP 1 each year to generate enough Skill Level I Rangers to meet operational demands - based on historical loss-and-retention trends, according to data provided by the unit.

The first RASP 1 class graduated in March. The eighth completed the course Sept. 2. The most recent group began with 165 Soldiers, but only about 40 graduated Thursday. The regiment's objective is nine RASP 1 classes a year.

The last SURT class, which set out with 84 Soldiers, sent only 48 to Ranger School, Bohannon said.

Crosby said there are greater advantages within this setup than what was done before under RIP.

"It's more time that my cadre have with the candidates," he said. "It's more time they get to see them in different situations to make sure they're picking the right guys, because what you don't want are guys who score 300 on their PT test, they road march really fast, they're really strong, but they just don't have what it takes. Mentally, their learning curve is too steep to be in this type of unit. We need smart guys, too."

VOLUNTEER FOR DUTY

To meet minimum requirements for the RASP and assignment in the 75th Ranger Regiment, all Soldiers must be:

* An active-duty Army male
* A U.S. citizen
* 107 or higher in General Technical score on ASVAB test
* 240 or above (80 in each event) in Army Physical Fitness Test score
* Airborne-qualified or agree to attend Airborne training prior to assignment
* Eligible to obtain a secret clearance
* Soldiers interested in joining the unit should call 706-545-5124 or send an e-mail to 75recruit@soc.mil. For more information, visit ttps://www.infantry.army.mil/75thranger .

I've had the privilege of talking to a recent RASP grad and we were able to compare notes a bit(I went through RIP in 1996).

In my day, when a cherry pvt showed up at battalion he was a long way away from being a real asset to the unit. He hit the ground running and on fire and held on for dear life until he could get his feet under him and start tracking under his own steam. Other PFCICs would help as best they could. If he didn't quit or get dx'd then in due time he was good to go and if he stayed healthy and squared-away could expect a pre-ranger slot within 8-12 months, sometimes a little longer just depending on slots and how many squared-away guys were in line ahead of him. TIB bitches.

While that first part is still basically true, the present day optempo and other mission specific realities require a different level of competence comes out of RASP. We never used to fastrope in RIP or a lot of the other fundamental skills these guys are getting now. Combat lifesaver was an MTT some of us did every RRF rotation. If you stayed in the unit long enough you'd rotate through all the MTTs over time (demo, combatives, sniper, scoutswimmer, etc). Now these guys are getting introduced to the good stuff much quicker.

All in all it sounds to me like a real improvement and just a little bit less work for the team leaders down the line.

this statement is horseshit: SURT, a three-week regimental program that mirrors the Warrior Training Center's Pre-Ranger Course

No way in hell our Pre-Ranger course mirrors any other Pre-Ranger course anywhere else. PRC fn sucked lol.

The RASP attrition rate has been pretty staggering also. They are really taking a different approach to who they are putting in Regiment now from the sounds of it. Also, more and more guys are having to go through RASP first and then BAC, as opposed to the other way around.

So guys quit taking a Ranger contract just to get airborne school out of it and then quit as soon as they inprocess rasp. I think it is a great idea, as I had a couple of guys I should have gone all the way through with but they got hurt in airborne. This way, you know you will show up at RASP completely healthy.

So guys quit taking a Ranger contract just to get airborne school out of it and then quit as soon as they inprocess rasp. I think it is a great idea, as I had a couple of guys I should have gone all the way through with but they got hurt in airborne. This way, you know you will show up at RASP completely healthy.
Got it. Sounds smart to me. Thanks for the info.

Why would anyone take a Ranger contract and drop before RASP? That's a dick move, taking a contract where others wish they could have had it.

Why would anyone take a Ranger contract and drop before RASP? That's a dick move, taking a contract where others wish they could have had it.

There are quite a few dicks out there. Say recruiting quotas are met and you can't get 11B or Airborne unless you go to RASP or 18X...guys will do that and then bail. The 18X guys know that they will probably stay at Bragg and go to the 82nd which is what they wanted to begin with. I have no doubt it is done on the Marine side as well. Guys game the system.

There are quite a few dicks out there. Say recruiting quotas are met and you can't get 11B or Airborne unless you go to RASP or 18X...guys will do that and then bail. The 18X guys know that they will probably stay at Bragg and go to the 82nd which is what they wanted to begin with. I have no doubt it is done on the Marine side as well. Guys game the system.
Yeah.. Can't say I'm surprised.

I like the way they're doing it with the Ranger contract then. RASP first. Weed out those guys.

...Why would anyone take a Ranger contract and drop before RASP? That's a dick move, taking a contract where others wish they could have had it.

Line units are full of guys who gave up on their careers during basic. It's one of the reasons commanders have the ability to chapter shitheads out.

Recruiting commercials and Hollywood movies do a great job of setting certain expectations through sexy pictures and thumping music, but do a piss poor job of communicating the real cornerstones of Army life: weight, temperature, tedium, fatigue, and ambiguity - collectively referred to as The Suck.

The ability to handle The Suck is measured in Balls. Dude's can fight The Suck, deal with it, or embrace it - how happy and successful they are as soldiers depends largely on how much Balls they have. Some guys don't have any. HTH.

Line units are full of guys who gave up on their careers during basic. It's one of the reasons commanders have the ability to chapter shitheads out.

Recruiting commercials and Hollywood movies do a great job of setting certain expectations through sexy pictures and thumping music, but do a piss poor job of communicating the real cornerstones of Army life: weight, temperature, tedium, fatigue, and ambiguity - collectively referred to as The Suck.

The ability to handle The Suck is measured in Balls. Dude's can fight The Suck, deal with it, or embrace it - how happy and successful they are as soldiers depends largely on how much Balls they have. Some guys don't have any. HTH.

That is a freaking fantastic post, spot on. On a side note, I think more guys dropped their 18x and opt 40 contracts in Basic than actually quit in RASP or SOPC!

Thanks for the straight answer. I like hearing this kind of stuff.

An update:

The unit has an intensive regimental assessment and selection process where only the most exceptional officers, non-commissioned officers, and Soldiers are selected to serve. In January 2010, RASP replaced the old RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program). This selection process is necessary for all soldiers who wish to serve in a Ranger battalion. Where RIP was four weeks, RASP is now eight weeks long. Lower enlisted soldiers will attend RASP 1 whereas higher enlisted and officers will attend RASP 2. The training is just as difficult and has been extended so instructors have more evaluation time for soldiers wishing to become Army Rangers. The graduation rate for the course remains low at 10-30% of the initial volunteers.

As with RIP, graduates of RASP will be awarded the Ranger scroll (black and red) along with the Khaki (Tan) Beret.

The 75th Ranger Regiment seeks highly motivated, physically fit and intelligent Soldiers to serve within its ranks. Successful Ranger candidates are self-starters who possess the dedication to be a member of the nation’s premiere special operations raid force.

After completion of Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training, new recruits will move on to three weeks of Airborne School at Fort Benning, Ga, learning how to safely conduct Static Line Airborne Operations. Immediately following Airborne School volunteers will move to the Ranger Assessment and Selection facility, where they will be in Pre-RASP until starting RASP.

RASP is broken down into two levels of training: RASP 1 for Junior Non-Commissioned Officers and Enlisted Soldiers (pay grades E-1 through E-5) and RASP 2 for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers, Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates will train on physical fitness, marksmanship, small unit tactics, medical proficiency and mobility. Training is fast-paced and intense, ensuring Ranger candidates are prepared to employ their skills in both continued training and worldwide operations upon reaching their assigned Ranger unit. Throughout the course all candidates will be screened to ensure that only the best Soldiers are chosen for service in the Ranger Regiment.

RASP 1 is an 8 week selection course that is broken down into Phase 1, which is three weeks long; and Phase 2, which is five weeks long. Ranger candidates will learn the basics of what it takes to become a member of an elite fighting force. Candidates are tested on their mental and physical capabilities, while learning the advanced skills all Rangers are required to know to start their career with the 75th Ranger Regiment.

RASP 2 is a 21-day selection course for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers in the rank of Staff-Sergeant and above, all Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates are tested on their physical and mental capabilities while learning the special tactics, techniques and procedures that set the Regiment apart, and learning the expectations of leading and developing young Rangers to be the Regimental leadership of tomorrow. Upon successful completion of RASP, candidates will don the khaki (Tan) beret and 75th Ranger Regiment Scroll, knowing that they are a U.S. Army Ranger, and a member of one of the finest and most distinguished Army units in the world.

RASP 1 Phase 1: Weeks 1-3 Graded Events

Army Physical Fitness Test:

• To begin RASP 1, Phase I a minimum score of 60% in your age
group
• To continue on to RASP 1, Phase II, a minimum score of 70% in
your age group
• 12 mile forced march in 3hrs with a 45 lb rucksack
• 5 mile run in 40 minutes or less

Attain 80% on the following tests:

• Ranger First Responder Test & Trauma Lanes
• Ranger Standards Test
• Ranger History Test
• Combat Navigation (Day & Night)

Pass the following:

• Peer Evaluations/RASP Selection Board
• Psychological Screening

RASP 1 Phase 2: Weeks 4-8 Advanced Ranger Skills Training

• To pass RASP 1, Phase 2 a minimum score of 80% of your age
group
• Combat Driver’s Course
• Hand-to-hand Fighting & Combatives Certification
• Ranger Advanced Tactical Marksmanship Training
• Combat Explosives and Breaching Course
• FRIES Training – Fast Roping & Combat Extraction

RASP 2 MAJOR EVENTS

Week 1
• APFT, a minimum score of 80% in your age group required to continue
• 5-mile run, a time of 40 minutes or less is required to continue
• 12 mile ruck march, within 3 hours
• History and Standards Written tests, must score 80% or more

Week 2
• M9 Qualification
• CQM Tables
• Airborne Operation
• FTX, 24-36 hours

Week 3
• Psychological Assessment
• RASP Board

An update:

The unit has an intensive regimental assessment and selection process where only the most exceptional officers, non-commissioned officers, and Soldiers are selected to serve. In January 2010, RASP replaced the old RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program). This selection process is necessary for all soldiers who wish to serve in a Ranger battalion. Where RIP was four weeks, RASP is now eight weeks long. Lower enlisted soldiers will attend RASP 1 whereas higher enlisted and officers will attend RASP 2. The training is just as difficult and has been extended so instructors have more evaluation time for soldiers wishing to become Army Rangers. The graduation rate for the course remains low at 10-30% of the initial volunteers.

As with RIP, graduates of RASP will be awarded the Ranger scroll (black and red) along with the Khaki (Tan) Beret.

The 75th Ranger Regiment seeks highly motivated, physically fit and intelligent Soldiers to serve within its ranks. Successful Ranger candidates are self-starters who possess the dedication to be a member of the nation’s premiere special operations raid force.

After completion of Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training, new recruits will move on to three weeks of Airborne School at Fort Benning, Ga, learning how to safely conduct Static Line Airborne Operations. Immediately following Airborne School volunteers will move to the Ranger Assessment and Selection facility, where they will be in Pre-RASP until starting RASP.

RASP is broken down into two levels of training: RASP 1 for Junior Non-Commissioned Officers and Enlisted Soldiers (pay grades E-1 through E-5) and RASP 2 for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers, Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates will train on physical fitness, marksmanship, small unit tactics, medical proficiency and mobility. Training is fast-paced and intense, ensuring Ranger candidates are prepared to employ their skills in both continued training and worldwide operations upon reaching their assigned Ranger unit. Throughout the course all candidates will be screened to ensure that only the best Soldiers are chosen for service in the Ranger Regiment.

RASP 1 is an 8 week selection course that is broken down into Phase 1, which is three weeks long; and Phase 2, which is five weeks long. Ranger candidates will learn the basics of what it takes to become a member of an elite fighting force. Candidates are tested on their mental and physical capabilities, while learning the advanced skills all Rangers are required to know to start their career with the 75th Ranger Regiment.

RASP 2 is a 21-day selection course for Senior Non-Commissioned Officers in the rank of Staff-Sergeant and above, all Officers and Warrant Officers. Candidates are tested on their physical and mental capabilities while learning the special tactics, techniques and procedures that set the Regiment apart, and learning the expectations of leading and developing young Rangers to be the Regimental leadership of tomorrow. Upon successful completion of RASP, candidates will don the khaki (Tan) beret and 75th Ranger Regiment Scroll, knowing that they are a U.S. Army Ranger, and a member of one of the finest and most distinguished Army units in the world.

RASP 1 Phase 1: Weeks 1-3 Graded Events

• To begin RASP 1, Phase I a minimum score of 60% in your age
group
• To continue on to RASP 1, Phase II, a minimum score of 70% in
your age group
• 12 mile forced march in 3hrs with a 45 lb rucksack
• 5 mile run in 40 minutes or less

Attain 80% on the following tests:

• Ranger First Responder Test & Trauma Lanes
• Ranger Standards Test
• Ranger History Test
• Combat Navigation (Day & Night)

Pass the following:

• Peer Evaluations/RASP Selection Board
• Psychological Screening

RASP 1 Phase 2: Weeks 4-8 Advanced Ranger Skills Training

• To pass RASP 1, Phase 2 a minimum score of 80% of your age
group
• Combat Driver’s Course
• Hand-to-hand Fighting & Combatives Certification
• Ranger Advanced Tactical Marksmanship Training
• Combat Explosives and Breaching Course
• FRIES Training – Fast Roping & Combat Extraction

RASP 2 MAJOR EVENTS

Week 1
• APFT, a minimum score of 80% in your age group required to continue
• 5-mile run, a time of 40 minutes or less is required to continue
• 12 mile ruck march, within 3 hours
• History and Standards Written tests, must score 80% or more

Week 2
• M9 Qualification
• CQM Tables
• Airborne Operation
• FTX, 24-36 hours

Week 3
• Psychological Assessment
• RASP Board
Any news on whether or not CSM Merrit's "Pipeline" is going to be implemented?
https://shadowspear.com/vb/threads/army-times-sof-unleashed-on-the-world.13044/page-4#post-196237

Back