Ranger School and Support MOS attendance. Mandatory or not?

Fdewinter02

Verified Military
I had a quick question about the culture within the 75th Ranger Regiment about support MOS' attending Ranger School and whether it is mandatory or just encouraged.
I have an Army Infantry background and have never served in the Regiment but I understand that to progress further as an 11B in the Regiment you have to be tabbed. When you get to the rank of E4 within the Regiment and you haven't passed Ranger School for whatever reason you will seek life elsewhere in the conventional Army in one of the Infantry Divisions. I know this because I've served with some of these cases as well as the cases of Rangers who have been RFS'd for adverse action, mostly DUI's.
Is this standard for 11B's in the Regiment applied to support MOS' in the Regiment i.e. your cooks, mechanics, medics, clerks, etc. etc. or can you still progress to E5-E7 without being tabbed? Thank you.

Last edited:
No. You start advancing in rank within the Regiment, at some point, you'll be told the course is awaiting your arrival. It's no secret that includes everyone across the board.

Some exceptions were made for mid level Rangers not classing up due to the past optempo, but that has since past.

A lot of soft skills guys don't go for a long Time or ever go. Pretty sure our head rigger, who has a ton of school including MFFJM, does not have his tab. There are several guys in a similar boat

Back