Ranger school - NG

Me too. Sit ups are borderline dogmatic in the fitness world that span generations. There are way better and equitable exercises to measure core strength.

I see a lot of old people at the gym that do sit ups that end up just nearly herniating their necks, but they're set in their ways so I don't bother correcting it.

Me too. Sit ups are borderline dogmatic in the fitness world that span generations. There are way better and equitable exercises to measure core strength.

I see a lot of old people at the gym that do sit ups that end up just nearly herniating their necks, but they're set in their ways so I don't bother correcting it.

Paraphrasing a fitness guy I know (by 'fitness guy' I mean he has all of the appropriate degrees and initials behind his name), the assumption that sit-ups work the abdominals is largely false; they damage the low back and neck if you are pulling your neck...many better metrics with which to measure core strength. He was a consultant with the Marines when they changed their thing to include planks.

Edited to add, I have always been awful with sit-ups/crunches, but can hold a correct plank for 90 seconds.

When I was in, we had to do our sit-ups in the rain - uphill - both ways - with a rucksack - with nobody holding our feet - and no WiFi...
...NO.FUCKING.WIFI

Meanwhile, this current generation just wants to use words like "core" and "musculoskeletal injuries" and "neck pain" and even meaningless terms like "dogmatic"

We sure as hell didn't have dogmatic when I was in uniform.
We only had dogmanual - and we were damn glad to have it.
Pull your skirt down Army of 2023, I can see your vagina.

Today's military is going to hell in a hand-basket my friends.
Hell in a hand-basket.

Paraphrasing a fitness guy I know (by 'fitness guy' I mean he has all of the appropriate degrees and initials behind his name), the assumption that sit-ups work the abdominals is largely false; they damage the low back and neck if you are pulling your neck...many better metrics with which to measure core strength. He was a consultant with the Marines when they changed their thing to include planks.

Edited to add, I have always been awful with sit-ups/crunches, but can hold a correct plank for 90 seconds.
I put my hands on top of my head to avoid the temptation to pull on my neck.

When I was in, we had to do our sit-ups in the rain - uphill - both ways - with a rucksack - with nobody holding our feet - and no WiFi...
...NO.FUCKING.WIFI

Meanwhile, this current generation just wants to use words like "core" and "musculoskeletal injuries" and "neck pain" and even meaningless terms like "dogmatic"

We sure as hell didn't have dogmatic when I was in uniform.
We only had dogmanual - and we were damn glad to have it.
Pull your skirt down Army of 2023, I can see your vagina.

Today's military is going to hell in a hand-basket my friends.
Hell in a hand-basket.

Well back in MY day, back in Valley Forge, we had no shoes! Kids these days get MREs, we had fire cakes, so just flour and water. Yuck! Don't get me started on leadership; Von Steuben was a hard ass but we sure learned a lot.

Back