Ranger school - NG

Dimethylamine

Field Artillery
Verified Military
Well, after years of patience, things are starting to come to fruition. I was told a lot that Ranger School in the Guard was close to impossible. As objective as a person as I was, I didn't want to believe it, but I kept utilizing my options. I tried pre-Ranger in FABOLC and didn't think it was worth it because I had to focus on my studies instead, and they didn't honor slots for Guard guys. It also turned out my class ended up not getting any slots from the school house. I felt bad for the 8 people that sacrificed their off time for nothing (other than getting good PT).

Fast forward a bit, I was with the FIST for a while, so I was attached in infantry units and wanted to be one of the few Artillery guys with a tab, because it was another way for us to gain credibility with the maneuver. I say that because the maneuver unit we were with didn't have much faith in Fires.

Fast forward a bit more, in my deployment, in the garrison environment, we did a pre-Ranger style training to secure slots for the Guard's RTAC program. I made it through, but they gave all the slots to the infantry guys instead. I asked the infantry BC if I could still get a chance to go. He quickly changed the subject.

Now today, back to my organic unit and away from the infantry, I heard with our new budget, they're trying to send more people in my state to go and jumped at that opportunity without much hesitation. My leadership gave me the green light and are in the process of registering me for a class. It'll likely be in Winter, but an opportunity is an opportunity (I don't know what's worse, swamp ass and struggling to stay awake in the Southern heat, or freezing my ass off in the mountains).

I've been pretty patient after 4 years and still need to be more patient because I haven't gotten there yet. I've been trying to highlight my deficiencies and strengths and trying to work with them. My cardio and strength is good, but I need to work on my rucking because I don't enjoy it at all. I'm fine tuning my nutrition and trying to work through my sleep issues, because I need to recover well if I'm going to train hard; I sleep 8 hours a day, but I think I'm developing sleep apnea.

If all goes right, I'll be the only tabbed officer in my battalion and/or this can be a good segway to 19th Group.
If someone tells you that you can't get a Ranger School slot in the Guard, don't listen to them, as it can be possible. Just don't take no for an answer.

Last edited:
I hear good things about RTAC. Solid pass rate for dudes who graduate. Apparently it used to just be two weeks of smoking, per my buddy who went to school in the guard before he came to Regiment. Lots changed since then, you should have a good experience.

Free chicken- considering you’re going to a winter class, make sure you have the correctly sized cold weather inserts. They will drop you, even if you have them. Insure they match your boot size.

ETA- WTC runs good programs. I did their MTT Jumpmaster course and it was run well. Also I have a buddy from sniper school who is an instructor at RTAC, former 2/75 dude. He’ll do you right. @Dimethylamine

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear good things about RTAC. Solid pass rate for dudes who graduate. Apparently it used to just be two weeks of smoking, per my buddy who went to school in the guard before he came to Regiment. Lots changed since then, you should have a good experience.

Free chicken- considering you’re going to a winter class, make sure you have the correctly sized cold weather inserts. They will drop you, even if you have them. Insure they match your boot size.
Thanks for the advice. I take it they allow things like Superfeet insoles if they allow inserts? I have flat feet, so that's my challenge in rucking. I prefer rucking on the soft dirt than the pavement.

Thanks for the advice. I take it they allow things like Superfeet insoles if they allow inserts? I have flat feet, so that's my challenge in rucking. I prefer rucking on the soft dirt than the pavement.
Don’t quote me but I don’t think that’s allowed. Granted they are not checking inside your boots so whatever soles you have inside of them at the time, should be GTG.

They don’t allow things like body glide as it “can make you over heat.” There are more items that fall under that list, best advice I can give is to just pack what’s on the list and bring all additional items that are listed on the “optional” list. Don’t try and sneak things by. DM me for any further info you want.

So, I guess I'll be attending a winter class. Not my top pick, but an opportunity is an opportunity. I'll attend in January. I prefer the cold than the hot, as I've been caught by my neighbors in jogging in the snow with just a t-shirt.

I also picked up an ADOS gig working at MEPS, so I get to continue to Guard bum. :ROFLMAO: I feel pretty thankful; chill schedule and plenty of time to prepare and do PT.

Last edited:
Don’t quote me but I don’t think that’s allowed. Granted they are not checking inside your boots so whatever soles you have inside of them at the time, should be GTG.

They don’t allow things like body glide as it “can make you over heat.” There are more items that fall under that list, best advice I can give is to just pack what’s on the list and bring all additional items that are listed on the “optional” list. Don’t try and sneak things by. DM me for any further info you want.

I know this comes across as majoring in the minors, but I'm curious about how the day to days are when preparing for the day while out in the field. At least for our FTXs, I try to have a strategy in packing my stuff so I can maximize time and be the first ready. IE packing a shirt, underwear, and socks in one plastic bag so it's readily available so I can change without trying rummage through my ruck, wasting time.

I know my sleep will be limited and I'll accept that, but how can I maximize packing my gear so when I do things like changing clothes or doing hygiene, I can maximize convenience?

I know this comes across as majoring in the minors, but I'm curious about how the day to days are when preparing for the day while out in the field. At least for our FTXs, I try to have a strategy in packing my stuff so I can maximize time and be the first ready. IE packing a shirt, underwear, and socks in one plastic bag so it's readily available so I can change without trying rummage through my ruck, wasting time.

I know my sleep will be limited and I'll accept that, but how can I maximize packing my gear so when I do things like changing clothes or doing hygiene, I can maximize convenience?
Accept you won’t change uniforms often and just pack those away, same with boots. Keep socks easily accessible. You’ll slowly stop shaving over time. Especially by Florida, you’ll never take off face paint. Honestly it’ll just be trial and error and getting used to the rhythm.

I got my slot for RTAC (was in a V billet) and fucked it up after only 3 days in the course because I was focused on shit down the road so I tried to ensure my 40 yr old ass (then) was strong enough endure Mountains. While in RTAC, I missed a required gate by 90 seconds and my shaved head went back to work soon after.

My point is: give 100% for the event you’re in and your goal should be to make it to the next event. Best of luck! That tab will open doors, both in the Guard and outside too: it would help in my current job (perhaps @DasBoot would consider me a dorky nerd?…nah, prob not).

I got my slot for RTAC (was in a V billet) and fucked it up after only 3 days in the course because I was focused on shit down the road so I tried to ensure my 40 yr old ass (then) was strong enough endure Mountains. While in RTAC, I missed a required gate by 90 seconds and my shaved head went back to work soon after.

My point is: give 100% for the event you’re in and your goal should be to make it to the next event. Best of luck! That tab will open doors, both in the Guard and outside too: it would help in my current job (perhaps @DasBoot would consider me a dorky nerd?…nah, prob not).
…. Fucking nerd.

I really hate how Guard funding works. I got word from a friend in our G3 saying how our budget this year got a lot smaller so they're cutting schools. I would've thought with low retention it meant less people to fill schools.

I'm not denied yet, but schools are on the chopping block. Either way, Charlie Mike.

My sniper/Ranger buddy did ranger school, then airborne (back to back, as is tradition for non RASP, SFAS or Airborne Brigade alumni), then EIB all within like 6 months and showed up to U of Maryland for class on a Monday when he was in the guard.

EIB > Air Assault.

Good for this kid, but it’s been done before. My homie also has the distinction of being the first NG to RASP dude in history.

My sniper/Ranger buddy did ranger school, then airborne (back to back, as is tradition for non RASP, SFAS or Airborne Brigade alumni), then EIB all within like 6 months and showed up to U of Maryland for class on a Monday when he was in the guard.

EIB > Air Assault.

Good for this kid, but it’s been done before. My homie also has the distinction of being the first NG to RASP dude in history.

Yeah, I know it's been done. They put out an article everytime it happens it seems. I posted to encourage the OP since he's stuck in the NG cycle.

Yeah, I know it's been done. They put out an article everytime it happens it seems. I posted to encourage the OP since he's stuck in the NG cycle.
I might’ve come off a bit harsh. Great job to the kid who did all this, and thanks for sharing it to motivate guys going to school.

I think I’m just coming to the realization that nothing is cool in the DOD during peace time.

Stories about the guard 10 years ago- “WalMart greeter who moon lights as 18C at 19th Group kills 5 Taliban with a pencil, awarded Silver Star. A fucking. Pencil.”

Now- “Young Joe does all the schools. That’s all we got.”

I might’ve come off a bit harsh. Great job to the kid who did all this, and thanks for sharing it to motivate guys going to school.

I think I’m just coming to the realization that nothing is cool in the DOD during peace time.

Stories about the guard 10 years ago- “WalMart greeter who moon lights as 18C at 19th Group kills 5 Taliban with a pencil, awarded Silver Star. A fucking. Pencil.”

Now- “Young Joe does all the schools. That’s all we got.”

I'm tracking, I didn't think you were being that way.

I agree. Is weird to say, but I loved being in the wartime reserve if I was not on orders. Because, I could get orders for anything. And you had reservists on and off of active duty teaching great classes based on lessons learned and best practices.

What’s your 5 mile and 12 miler look like?

I'll be honest, my rucking still feels shaky but I'm addressing it. I did the Norwegian Foot March Badge recently and did 18.6 miles in 4 hours and 20 minutes. I did a 9 miler with 43 lbs dry last week with minimal food in 2 hours and 10 minutes and a 6 miler with 50 lbs in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

5 miler is about 38 minutes. I've been doing long distance runs but now I'm doing more sprints and intervals.

EIB > Air Assault.

Possibly a new thread idea but why is it that the RR really dislikes NG? However, the new NDAA that was signed has an interesting proposal that considers making a NG Ranger Battalion and allow NG soldiers to attend RASP. I have the document but I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here or not.

Back