Ranger Transfer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSiatonist

Designated Hoops Sniper!
Howdy.

A guy posted this and I wanted to help out so I'm posting it here. He is a serving member and is from the other site.

needing advice from Rangers on this forum:

I've wrote in the past about my intent for joining a Ranger battalion as an 11b (if the possibility still exists for me) after returning from a deployment.

so at this moment I'm at a crossroad. I'm graduating from grad school this December (returned from A-stan this past august) and right now I'm set for trying out for 20th SF Group with the goal of getting a long tab.

however, as an alternative, I'm thinking about going to a recruiter and asking for a Ranger-oriented contract (I'm national guard out of IL). My question is whether or not I'll be able to enter a battalion as an 11B?

My stats:
-25 years old, E-5. I'll take a reduction in rank back to E-1 if I have to.
-Fluent in Urdu (Pakistani) and designated marksman qualified through the course at Camp Robinson, Arkansas (got the top gun and distinguished honor grad as well in my class).
-as stated, I'll have a Masters in History this coming December.
-286 PT score, at this moment I'm slotted to go pre-Ranger screening in Benning next February and am pending Ranger and Airborne school for next year (I doubt I'll have trouble getting those slots as well).

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

If anyone thinks this is a mistake for any reason, please do remove the thread.

Thanks.

Well if he is truthful about who he is and what he has done, I would say training for the Q course. He is way past his prime time entry into Rgr Bn. The only way I would say go that route is after he comes back from Ranger School. With his language skills and a degree behind him, SF really is a better option for him.:2c:

He needs to decide what he wants. Both doors are open to him. He can go the Ranger route, his rank nor his age are disqualifiers, or he can go to SFAS and see from there.
The biggest obstacle is himself. Once he gets over that then he should be good to go. No one can say that he would make a better Ranger or a better Team guy in SF based on whatever qualities he has. Time for him to decide.

Masters? Military experience? Fluency in Urdu?

Tell him to apply to the Agency

I second dknob. Especially if he's being honest about his KSAs -- especially because of the Urdu.

I understand the "hard" languages are in high demand. He'd have to be confident he could test high; probably at least a solid 3, if not a 4, if he says he's "fluent".

I only wonder where he'd be more in demand -- DI or DO.
Then again, he's gonna have to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.

Masters? Military experience? Fluency in Urdu?

Tell him to apply to the Agency
Dude... lets not set him up for failure. The clown show will be around for him in the future, after he gets experience in the military, among those who will use his skills properly.

I second dknob. Especially if he's being honest about his KSAs -- especially because of the Urdu.

I understand the "hard" languages are in high demand. He'd have to be confident he could test high; probably at least a solid 3, if not a 4, if he says he's "fluent".

I only wonder where he'd be more in demand -- DI or DO.
Then again, he's gonna have to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up.

A 4? Hush! Don't speak if you know nothing.

Sand Man,
I would suggest to your buddy that he go active either way. My loyalties lie with both regiments. I started as a Ranger and am now in SF. I would not change a thing. I learned about tactics and team dynamics as a Ranger which served me well later in my career as an SF guy.
Either way, he should get some active time.
I love me some Rangers. They are consumate professionals who master the basics of soldiering and press the fight like no one else.
His language skills will come to fruition as an SF guy but are not paramount at this point. One has to have experience before those skills are really worth anything to SOF. Although, he will get paid no matter which unit he chooses.
I always suggest to young guys that they start at Ranger Regiment just because of the strong base they will receive. Then, if they choose to, they can move on to other units and occupational specialties. Guys seem to rush into positions that they are not ready for, a team guy needs that base of experience before he can operate as an ODA member (much less the working for the Clown Institution of America).
:2c:

Yes I agree with you JJ, but look this guy would have a BIG BULLSEYE on his chest if he went to Bn now(without a tab), if he is slotted for Hooah School, go there first. At least he would learn a great deal there. They would not give him a team in Regiment without one (tab).

We don't want to set him up for failure. But if he is thinking this way (SF and Ranger) he needs to go active. Regiment makes great operators to move on the better places like SF and other fences, he needs to know that, but it comes at a price with his rank, everyone will zero in on him. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but he will be SEEN.

Big Green, much less SF could use his skills now, but he is looking at a lot of time getting there no matter which route he travels with training.

JJ, you and Tyrant know it better than anyone. Regiment has made you a better operator, soldier and person for that matter. And you would not take that back for anything. But Regiment is a young mans world.... I have seen it work before, but it was few and far between.:2c:

To all -

Just wanted folks to know that I'm the guy that's in need of the advice and suggestions and I wanted to thank you guys for your responses. I appreciate Sand Man posting my question.

I have spoken with some of my friends as well about this and so far I've been told either hell yes go to a battalion or hell no go SF if you can instead. I'm still juggling between the two.

To be clear, I am only recently weighing my options because I just received my US citizenship in Bagram, Afghanistan while I was deployed. I was born in Pakistan and grew up in the states but 9/11 screwed my family pretty good: two FBI interviews and screenings and 3 years later we were finally able to get permanent residency in 2004 after applying in 1999. I enlisted later that year, and then deployed in 08-09 where I finally was given full citizenship. Thus, I wasn't able to enlist until i was 20 and then went guard instead of active duty because i wanted to finish college. So it's only now that I can really decide which way I want to go.

one quick comment: by no means do I wish to sound and talk as if this is a simple "option A vs. option B" conversation. I just want to explore my options. again, thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

^^it shouldn't really. I've spent 22 out of my 25 years living in the US. plus overseas i was granted an interim security clearance.

Back to the original topic. What do YOU want to do, and why?

If I could sum it in one line I would say that I desire to work with the local nationals of a given nation and use them in direct action missions.

ok, so working with local nationals would probably suggest that I should try for SF; but recognizing that some would argue that their primary role is to work in the unconventional side of things as opposed to simply resorting to direct action, a Ranger bat looks more appealing.

currently I'm definitely leaning towards SF and have been in contact with a SF guard unit near where I live and am preparing for their tryouts to get on a training team and then move on to assessment and selection.

my only concern is whether or not I'm missing out on anything without trying to go to a Ranger bat first?

If I could sum it in one line I would say that I desire to work with the local nationals of a given nation and use them in direct action missions.

ok, so working with local nationals would probably suggest that I should try for SF; but recognizing that some would argue that their primary role is to work in the unconventional side of things as opposed to simply resorting to direct action, a Ranger bat looks more appealing.

currently I'm definitely leaning towards SF and have been in contact with a SF guard unit near where I live and am preparing for their tryouts to get on a training team and then move on to assessment and selection.

my only concern is whether or not I'm missing out on anything without trying to go to a Ranger bat first?
Well of course you're going to miss out on some things by not going to a Ranger Battalion. It sounds like to me that you're already moving towards the SF route. Good luck.

Well of course you're going to miss out on some things by not going to a Ranger Battalion. It sounds like to me that you're already moving towards the SF route. Good luck.

true, and thanks.

Don't overthink it. Just follow your gut. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back