Reclassing to 35N

RTBro

Verified SOF
I'm currently an 11B in my reenlistment window, and I've been thinking about switching over to the Intel side of operations. Given that I have a background in computer science and foreign language (3/3 Arabic), I figured I should give SIGINT a serious look. I noticed that SOT-A seems to be an assignment of choice for a lot of the Intel support folks on this message board. However, given that 35P is an overstrength MOS, would anyone with a SOF support background recommend reclassing to 35N instead, and hope for a Group assignment?

Any 35N out there?

I think right now, if you're looking at advancement over the long term, 35N is the way to go if you want to be a SIGINTer. However, with your language skills you might consider looking at 35M, 35L, or even 35F.

The real question is what type of work do you want to do and what kind of career path are you looking for (behind a desk, in the field, part of a large unit, more independent operations, etc.). I posted on another thread several weeks ago a general breakdown of Army intelligence MOS duties. See if you can bring it up in search and see if it helps.

If you are outside of SOF, 35N with language are infinitely more useful than without, and promotions are fairly steady.

What about opportunities within the SOF communities? SOT-A/SOT-B? Would a language coded position as a 35N lead me into desk job in Meade or Gordon where I never see the light again?

After reading your intro, go back to the 75th as a 35P if you are welcome back into that organization.

SOT-A has been discussed on the board and it is a good job for maybe half the people that end up doing it. There are only a few I know here.

35N is a good job almost anywhere you in my opinion. Group/SOF obviously has advantages.

One caveat to returning the 75th, it's in Fort Benning. I'm tired of Fort Benning/Columbus.

As always @Il Duce gives great advice! 35P with V are never over strengthed.

Most of the 35Ps in RTSB are reclass'd 11Bs but there are unconventional jobs for Ns within SOF and INSCOM.

As mentioned before, 35-EVERYTHING keeps you close to a windowless SCIF. Suntans are for homo boat owners. Job opportunities after the military are plentiful for 35Ns.

"35P with V are never over strengthed"

Are you implying that with a Victor qualifier a career counselor can work some magic with the IN/OUT calls?

A 3/3 Arab with a short tab would AT A MINIMUM get a hand job from branch to reclass to 35-series.

Check your PM.
69057575.jpg

One thing to bear in mind in a SIGINT career is you're going to need to move in and out of a variety of jobs if you want to progress. The days of hanging out in group for decades are largely gone - SMUs are another matter but concentrate on your 50m target first.

SOT-A is a great assignment, but if you want to move up past E6 and/or progress to WO you need to spend time working an NSA mission. That may be at NSA-W but there are a number of other cryptologic centers and CSGs with some high speed units. In every case your ability to learn about the enterprise - the tools and skills being used from national to tactical is what is going to make you excel. A Ranger tab will get you a leg up in any competition in MI that is picture-deep (so boards will always break your way other things being equal). But, you'll find once you're face-to-face and getting evaluated you better have some technical skill or you're better off staying 11B.

One thing to bear in mind in a SIGINT career is you're going to need to move in and out of a variety of jobs if you want to progress. The days of hanging out in group for decades are largely gone - SMUs are another matter but concentrate on your 50m target first.

SOT-A is a great assignment, but if you want to move up past E6 and/or progress to WO you need to spend time working an NSA mission. That may be at NSA-W but there are a number of other cryptologic centers and CSGs with some high speed units. In every case your ability to learn about the enterprise - the tools and skills being used from national to tactical is what is going to make you excel. A Ranger tab will get you a leg up in any competition in MI that is picture-deep (so boards will always break your way other things being equal). But, you'll find once you're face-to-face and getting evaluated you better have some technical skill or you're better off staying 11B.

This post should be loved. I will say the knowledge of how things work at Meade is a significant gap at the tactical level simply because most type As don't do well so close to the flag pole yet their unit would benefit from folks with that experience. There are so many issues in Group that could be solved by knowing who to call in MD.

I cannot over emphasize the technical skills: Python scripting, Net+, Sec+, CEH, etc. and how a device communicates with another device (all stuff taught in college).

Cryptologic Support Group. It's a semi-permanent team of NSA troopers (joint service) with duty at a specific command - Echelon Above Corps (EAC). They provide SIGINT support - including access to NSANet and NSANet databases for the supported command.

SIGINT has a huge variety in where and how you can serve. If you choose 35N, 35P, or 35S don't get myopic on a single job.

Back