Regiment and the T-11 Parachute

• Thread starter Boondocksaint375
  • Start date
They should come out with a square like the HALO shoot for static line, that way guys can steer away from tree's and power lines and so on. The Chute would be able to hold enough weight like the MC-4 and be able to take the blast of an opening.

I'm assuming the new version has something to do with the rate of descent?

Yeah, I second steerability. I have landed in trees and major highways.

Steerability, while novel in concept, is not practical (in fact, down right dangerous) if you were to apply it on a mass scale.

Smaller sticks, chalks, sure.

Mass Tacs? No one would make it off the drop zone except maybe the JM's who asked for an extra race track to put themselves out after everyone else was done colliding with each other.....:D

They should come out with a square like the HALO shoot for static line, that way guys can steer away from tree's and power lines and so on. The Chute would be able to hold enough weight like the MC-4 and be able to take the blast of an opening.

I thought they had a square used for S/L jumps. I vaguely recall the Marines doing something with them....an MC-5?

They already have the canopies on the sport side, they'd just have to tweak them to make them Mil friendly.

I almost think it'd be worthwhile to figure out how to make a parachute that performs like a T-10 ie straight down with no control input... but if you actually grab at the toggles it somehow "converts" to a more controllable canopy. Trying to wrap my head around that one...

I almost think it'd be worthwhile to figure out how to make a parachute that performs like a T-10 ie straight down with no control input... but if you actually grab at the toggles it somehow "converts" to a more controllable canopy. Trying to wrap my head around that one...

Any Ram-air canopy will have a little forward drive due to the design - needs air to pressurize the cells. But if the brake lines "cat-eyes" are set deep enough it will have very little drive. The canopy will basically be in a "stall" which will bring the canopy nearly straight down. Release the brakes the stall is taken out, forward drive increases, etc... All ram air canopies are packed as to minimize forward drive on opening. Brakes released - you go into full flight.

Cat eyes are the portion where you stow the toggle beneath the riser ring.
The Marines are using the MC-5 which is the MC-4 in Static line configuration.

So what 'chutes are actually in use for S/L jumps now?

What ever happened to the SF-10 'Chute,a copy of a forrest service chute-was that ever fielded?

Any Ram-air canopy will have a little forward drive due to the design - needs air to pressurize the cells. But if the brake lines "cat-eyes" are set deep enough it will have very little drive. The canopy will basically be in a "stall" which will bring the canopy nearly straight down. Release the brakes the stall is taken out, forward drive increases, etc... All ram air canopies are packed as to minimize forward drive on opening. Brakes released - you go into full flight.

Cat eyes are the portion where you stow the toggle beneath the riser ring.
The Marines are using the MC-5 which is the MC-4 in Static line configuration.

I don't know a thing about ram-air canopy's, the entry cost for me to jump even when I was still active duty was... a full rig. The rental rigs here only hold 205 lbs of jumper.

So, you could have a larger canopy with minimal forward drive, and when you go for the toggles due to OH SHIT JUMPER/TREE/ROAD/ASP/POWER LINES, you could go to full maneuverability?

So, you could have a larger canopy with minimal forward drive, and when you go for the toggles due to OH SHIT JUMPER/TREE/ROAD/ASP/POWER LINES, you could go to full maneuverability?

Yes (you can get little forward drive with relatively smaller canopies too). Cool think about a ram air design is you don't even need toggles to turn - the rear risers will get you turned quickly. The toggle turn, rear riser turn, and front riser turn all act differently. If you've just opened up and something/someone is in front of you - grab a rear riser - it can save your life...

koz
AFF-I, TI, SL-I, FAA rigger

Precision made/ makes a ram-air pilot's emergency rig that you can land without any toggle input.

The problem is once you turn a ram-air it isn't like a round. While the turns are quicker you lose altitude (sometimes a lot) in a turn unless you know how to fly your canopy. Over the last few years some 50% or so of sport deaths are under functioning canopies that were improperly handled.

Back