Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
From the article

"According to one version of events, one of the SEALs put Sergeant Melgar in a chokehold. When the sergeant passed out, the commandos frantically tried to revive him. Failing that, they rushed him to an emergency clinic, where he was pronounced dead."

From the article

"According to one version of events, one of the SEALs put Sergeant Melgar in a chokehold. When the sergeant passed out, the commandos frantically tried to revive him. Failing that, they rushed him to an emergency clinic, where he was pronounced dead."

I'll do this crazy thing and wait for the investigation to finish, but the story doesn't feel like some mutual MMA gone wrong.

First, prayers to his family and teammates. Not the way you'd expect to die deployed.

Second, to quote myself when I got in a car wreck when I was 16..."Oh, this is bad...very, very bad."

Seems off that two highly trained individuals could have potentially applied a choke hold wrong and still fail to revive the Sergeant. Circulation automatically resumes after the hold is released.

Well, if prolonged(near 5 minutes+), onset of brain damage is inevitable due to lack of oxygen saturation in the brain. However, it may only be a couple of minutes to put someone out and for them to come to if you temporarily cut off circulation. You'd have to have him in the hold for a while in order to put him in a state passed revival. In my opinion, he might have been strangled instead.

Back