Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

It's unfortunate that what we were speculating has been confirmed. Keeping the victim in mind, I wonder how it's affecting operations within the command and within their teams.

Normally in situations like this where the story changes, we eventually find out that there was a whole lot of wrongdoing preceding the fatal incident. Substance abuse, or aguments about money, and/or women is often a predicator. I have no way of knowing what, if anything, may have contributed to this incident. it could have gone down just as the suspects said. But in my experience there's usually a lot more to the story. Otherwise, the truth is story version #1 and there aren't a bunch of changes.

Single-source reporting, cannot confirm or deny. But very interesting development if true.

Green Beret Discovered SEALs’ Illicit Cash. Then He Was Killed.

Melgar, two special operations sources say, discovered the SEALs were pocketing some of the money from the informant fund. The SEALS offered to cut him in, but Melgar declined, these sources said.

The SEALs allegedly claimed Melgar was drunk at the time of the incident. But...

It was the worst excuse the SEALs could have made up. A former AFRICOM official who saw the autopsy report said no drugs or alcohol were found in Melgar’s system. At least one source believes he did not drink alcohol at all. The SEALs’ story was unraveling.

Was just about to post that, it would make sense that they can't name the source however it's an extremely egregious accusation being leveled, it's out of my lane but I'd wait for the official findings and if it turns out that what the article says is true then punish the culprits to the fullest extent.

Thoughts go to Staff Sergeant Melgars family, from every account he was a good man.

That's one of those stories where I felt something was awry from the get-go! Regardless, it was a tragedy for one family and probably won't end well for several others.

That's one of those stories where I felt something was awry from the get-go! Regardless, it was a tragedy for one family and probably won't end well for several others.

Me too. Unfortunately this type of thing, while rare, happens with enough regularity to trip warning flares the second the first story came out.

This is starting to spin off the rails for the SEALs. It's certainly not looking good, and the ripple effects of this will be felt for awhile. What a shitty story all the way around. If this was a movie, it would be the kind where we all came on here to talk about how unrealistic it was.

I fucking hate every part of this whole story.
And that's what I have to say about that.

Yeah, I do too.

Normally in situations like this where the story changes, we eventually find out that there was a whole lot of wrongdoing preceding the fatal incident...

^^^This.

Sometimes, with all the publicity, all the hype about Navy SEALs, I think just shitcan the whole program and start over again from scratch...rename it, repackage it, and this time enforce secrecy and non-disclosure with extreme prejudice, top to bottom, just freaking disappear from the radar, from Hollywood, from all the outside influences on the psych of these warriors.

I'm not saying this is a team thing. But for an organization that we are not supposed to know even exists, we know waaaaay too fucking much. SEALs are like instant celebrities...especially DEVGRU...and fame, even if it's associational, can ruin anybody or anything, especially people who are not prepared for it. It can make you think you're a kind of god...and maybe even above the law.

Last edited:
Yeah, I do too.

^^^This.

Sometimes, with all the publicity, all the hype, all the fucking bullshit about Navy SEALs, I think just motherfucking shitcan the whole program and start over again from scratch...rename it, repackage it, and this time enforce secrecy and non-disclosure with extreme prejudice, top to bottom, just freaking disappear from the radar, from Hollywood, from all the outside influences on the psych of these warriors.

I'm not saying this is a team thing. But for an organization that we are not supposed to know even exists, we know waaaaay too fucking much. SEALs are like instant celebrities...especially DEVGRU...and fame, even if it's associational, can ruin anybody or anything, especially people who are not prepared for it. It can make you think you're better than everybody else, more privileged...and maybe even above the law.

It's really hard to avoid. Especially with our social media climate. But I agree with you. We need to go back to the days where everyone would just shut the fuck up.

Damn...NBC Nightly News has this story with statements from the investigation. This is going to get worse IMO.

Blue Skies.

NBC Nightly News

One of the Navy SEALs being investigated in the death of a Green Beret in Africa told a witness that he "choked [him] out" in the pre-dawn hours of June 4 and that he and another SEAL were out "to get back" at the victim for a perceived offense that night, according to documents from an Army investigation obtained by NBC News.

Witness: Navy SEAL said he "choked out" Green Beret who died

The witness also said that DeDolph indicated he and Matthews "and possibly other individuals" had used "duct tape" on Melgar, but had left that out of their interviews about the death because they were afraid it would be considered hazing.

"Possibly others?" Damn...

Back