Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

It's really hard to avoid. Especially with our social media climate. But I agree with you. We need to go back to the days where everyone would just shut the fuck up.
It’s not that hard to do. Most, of not all, SOF personnel sign NDAs. That means keep your trap shut and screen any books or movies you decide to publish through your command or agency. Period. That’s what separates professionals from these selfish media darings. Failing to follow the rules and safeguard OPSEC puts your fellow service members at risk. You don’t ever put on a beret, scroll, or a trident for personal gain. Sure you may do it initially to prove something to yourself but you quickly learn that life in SOF is all about your team and your teammates.

What would drive someone to throw the reputation of their community under the bus to make a few bucks? I can’t even process the highway of epic moral failures and bad decisions that led to this incomprehensible tragedy.

Perhaps it’s time to stop recruiting for elite units off the street. Focus on internal recruitment of mature and experienced warfighters. How many join wanting to be a SEAL (or other’s) just for the “fame” they shouldn’t be seeking?

Agree. Prove you are a professional first and only then can you try out for the best.

If the reporting is to be believed these guys were front DEVGRU, which means they weren’t right off the street. They were seasoned SEALs with many years in the teams and multiple deployments.

The SSG Melgar was an 18X 3 deployments ago. So I am not really seeing how changing the off the street aspect plays any role in something like this.

If the reporting is to be believed these guys were front DEVGRU, which means they weren’t right off the street. They were seasoned SEALs with many years in the teams and multiple deployments.

It depends on if they came in off the streets and into the SEAL teams before ascending to DEVGRU. This kind of institutional rot doesn’t happen overnight, and if they came in as “SEAL babies” then they may very well have been trained that that was what right looked like on the teams. Who knows?

It depends on if they came in off the streets and into the SEAL teams before ascending to DEVGRU. This kind of institutional rot doesn’t happen overnight, and if they came in as “SEAL babies” then they may very well have been trained that that was what right looked like on the teams. Who knows?

Then there is no fix. That is an institutional failing. They would have been taught tht was the way it was period. From what I have seen from SEALs this type of behavior is not surprising.

So just as a discussion piece: How about going back to the future and scrapping the SEALs and have the Marines take over?

So just as a discussion piece: How about going back to the future and scrapping the SEALs and have the Marines take over?

We should keep this thread dedicated to discussing the incident involving the 2 SEAL's and the Green Beret.
Speculative conversations about how to "fix" the SEAL's or anything else along that line should probably be the subject of a separate thread.

Agreed. Sadly, if you look at everything surrounding the Teams the last few years, this is not a surprising place to end up.

I will bring my full thoughts to light when the investigation is over and people are convicted of a crime. However SEALs have shown to me a propensity to get away with whatever they can. They take “if you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying” to the fullest extent possible. That mindset is fine in combat. It is fine in BUD/S where the stakes are relatively low. It is very different in a politically sensitive, high risk low profile mission set.

We should keep this thread dedicated to discussing the incident involving the 2 SEAL's and the Green Beret.
Speculative conversations about how to "fix" the SEAL's or anything else along that line should probably be the subject of a separate thread.

I posted the previous message prior to you posting this. Delete it if you feel it is right.

When people see a movie like Training Day or something like The Shield, they usually don't know those stories are based upon real events (the Rampart scandal). Sadly, the narrative is all too real when you look at history only this time it took a tragic turn.

A SOF selection and training pipeline can only do so much to "build" a better human being or screen for those who don't belong. Take a couple of bad apples and weak leadership, now you have a recipe for disaster. We'd like to think peer pressure doesn't play a role, but if you believe a tab or badge can overcome some basic human instincts you're wrong. If people were infallible then leadership wouldn't matter as much in cases like these.

What those two did is horrific, but how did they get to that point? Was this their first instance of theft? Were others threatened and only SSgt Melger had to courage to speak up?

To me the second greatest "fail" here is the lack of immediate disciplinary action. A ship captain or squadron commander with nothing to do with an incident will immediately find themselves reassigned due to a "loss of confidence in their ability to command." If nothing else, DEVGRU should have a new command staff and that should have happened within days or weeks of this incident. NSW is sending a clear signal that they do not have the some standards as the rest of the Navy.

Regardless of other SEAL incidents, even in DEVGRU, I view this as a couple of shitbirds who were confronted by a man of integrity. That man paid for it with his life. In a world where everyone in uniform is hailed as some kind of hero, SSgt Melger stands well above the rest. That should be a bittersweet point of pride for the Regiment.

BSBD.

I wasn't there and I don't know anything as to facts and won't speculate, but as with numerous events like these (Injury, theft, destruction and death etc) get called into question, my thought always turns to this:

Where in the hell was the leadership in all of this....before, during and after?

Back