Ronda Rousey- best MMA Fighter Ever?

She looks more conditioned and less cocky, and coming from the guy who bet and won a good amount on Holm in her last fight, my money is on Ronda to straight whip Nunes' ass within the first round.

I'll eat all of these words if she doesn't finish her by the second round.
I stand corrected and served with a full plate and a half of hard crow to chew.

That was one of the fastest and most undisputed beatdowns I've seen in quite a while. Nunes soundly whipped her ass.

RIP Rowdy

Cruz/Garbrandt has been fight of the night.

I just re-watched the Cruz fight. Really really good. Unlike some, I'm not mad at his opponent for not engaging on the ground when Cruz would get knocked down. You've got control of the thing standing, keep it.

For as long as it lasts, here is the Rousey fight on You Tube:

Watching last night I felt they stopped it too quickly, seeing it again this morning, no way.
Ronda was offering zero defense, nothing.

I guess those comparisons to Ali and Mike Tyson were premature huh.
At the time they were made I think those comparisons were valid- as it stands now, though, she's got a great career behind her but what's behind her seems to be her best.

I don't think Rousey continues fighting- not sure how many fights she has left on her contract, but she's firmly in the "I am gonna go up to 140-145 and fight Cyborg for money cause Dana White is only willing to give me that fight" part of her career.

Nunes is the truth.

Rousey.jpg

Ali dominated boxing for 18 years over 60 bouts. Tyson did the same for a decade and over 50 fights. Rousey was declared the messiah of fighting sports after four years and a dozen fights in an uncompetitive field. It looks like her competition is starting to improve and her dominance had faded like VHS cassettes.

Rousey looked like a fucking amateur in there.

Rhonda took a year off and worked on what? Certainly not her boxing ability.
After that last loss, and all that time off, I cannot believe that no one taught her how to throw a fricking jab.

The fight prior to hers was mostly on their feet and the two guys fully respected each other's boxing ability; that is why it why it such a great fight when they did connect.

Nunes had zero respect for Rousey and walked right into her. Literally walked/ran right into her, and Ronda had no clue how to back Nunes off.

Ronda, we all learned last time that your only weapon is your arm-bar once you get someone on the ground. For you to come into this fight with the same strategy as last time, and not know how to defend yourself on your feet was not only frustrating, it was a waste of my good sleep time.

Ali dominated boxing for 18 years over 60 bouts. Tyson did the same for a decade and over 50 fights. Rousey was declared the messiah of fighting sports after four years and a dozen fights in an uncompetitive field. It looks like her competition is starting to improve and her dominance had faded like VHS cassettes.

I think she's facing the same dilemma that Royce Gracie faced. He was a pioneer of MMA but he had a singular skillset... Eventually, the sport and the fighters evolved, he didn't and very quickly found himself outmatched.

She's the same, an absolute pioneer of Womens MMA but she's a one trick pony and while WMMA has evolved, she hasn't at all. She has come up against two elite fighters in Holm and Nunes and she has been utterly destroyed. She'll go down as the first but definitely not the greatest.

I mean, she went away for a year, came back and looked like an amateur. She's done.

I think she's facing the same dilemma that Royce Gracie faced. He was a pioneer of MMA but he had a singular skillset... Eventually, the sport and the fighters evolved, he didn't and very quickly found himself outmatched.

I really like that comparison. A lot.

What I will add though, is that Gracie never had the history and foresight to adjust. Rhonda (and her "people"), especially after that last beating, had a full year to adjust course and learn how to fight out of her comfort zone. It looked instead as if she spent the full year doing cardio and tightening up her ground game, but not spending time on the things that she was not good at.

What a waste.

I'm not even a combatives amateur let alone expert, but if you had told me that Rousey was a champion, I would have assumed it was in playing patty cake from that fight. The one punch she threw looked halfassed and most of the time she looked like she just wanted it to be over. Her inner fight just seems to be gone. Not drive or ambition, but her "kill the enemy" fight.

Back