Royal Marines Commandos: New Mission and Uniform

Diddums

Unverified
New commando uniform for Royal Marines

"Elite commandos of the Royal Navy are undertaking a bold modernisation project – known as the Future Commando Force programme – which will overhaul the way world famous Green Berets operate around the globe. As part of this restructuring, Royal Marines will have a new uniform, fit for a new era of warfare, that is in-keeping with the maritime traditions of the corps, and also honours their commando forebears."

"Royal Marines commandant general major general Matt Holmes said: “The Vanguard Strike Company will lead and inform how the Royal Marines and Army Commandos will operate and fight in a dynamic, technological era of warfare.
“We envisage several of these networked sub-units persistently forward deployed around the globe, with an array of sophisticated enabling capabilities, to present dilemmas to adversaries whilst supporting partners.
“These will all be at high-readiness, as a capable forward contingency force at the core of the Royal Navy’s Littoral Response Groups.”

uniforminfographic.jpg

That longgun looks very similar to the one in my closet - minus the ACOG(EOTECH fiend). 8-) The Crye rocks everyday.

The Royal Marines have a long and storied similar honorable history alongside the USSF/OSS...We are and will forever be Brothers of the Sword.

(That knife is gold plated and weighs about 12lbs. It is truly a masterpiece. I'm honored to own it as it is a piece of history)

Might as well just expand SBS. Most of them come from the RMC. The changes described—no more battalion or company-sized operations, no more traditional naval infantry-type missions; just small teams infiltrating, conducting recon and direct action raids then “disappearing into the night”—sounds like Special Operations to me.

Might as well just expand SBS. The changes described—small teams infiltrating, conducting recon and direct action raids then “disappearing into the night”—sounds like Special Operations to me.
Good point. But do you think those are legit missions for the general purpose force as well? That’s kind of what I’m thinking.

Last edited:
Good point. But do you think those are legit missions for the general purpose force as well? That’s kind of what I’m thinking.

I dunno, sir, you’d be a better judge of that than me. I’ve always thought the strength of the RMs was the ability to pull off larger scale commando raids, like our Rangers, or amphibious operations as they did in the Falklands, like our Marines.

Seems like both US and UK Marines are both undergoing leaner transitions.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is "what is the traditional role?" If we go back far enough Marines won't even be infantry today they'll be basically armed ship security. Roles change and in the RM context WW2 was the driver of that and they became Commandos, which is what this seems to hark back to.

I remember when they were in Northern Ireland. 40 Commando and 42 Commando IIRC. Maybe others. Battalion-sized deployments. And quite a few were killed. This was during the Troubles which I followed it with keen interest at the time. When I was with 2/6 in '73 we did a join FTX with a BN of RMCs, but I can't remember which commando. We were envious of their hair regs, lol.

If you go back thousands of years you see the same basic pattern, but it is brilliantly illustrated since the fall of 1914:
War happens. Your TTPs change. Your equipment changes. War ends. You evaluate the 5W's and make a prediction on how you'll fight the next war (probably a predictive 5W's here as well).

Look at the US since January 1, 2001 and then every 5 years after. Look at how much has changed militarily. Other nations are doing the same, this is a natural pattern. Now, some nations do better than others with the lessons learned and predictive analysis while others...become fodder in the next war. The UK is doing what all of our nations are doing and it will work out or it won't. You plan and hope to be Germany in '39 at the start and the US in '45 at the end, but no plan survives first contact (also, fuck Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney).

Might as well just expand SBS. Most of them come from the RMC. The changes described—no more battalion or company-sized operations, no more traditional naval infantry-type missions; just small teams infiltrating, conducting recon and direct action raids then “disappearing into the night”—sounds like Special Operations to me.

I'm sure if they could stand up another SBS squadron they would but thats easier said than done. There will still be a significant difference in capaballities between SBS and RMC. As mentioned above this seems to be a change in focus and TTPs, similar to what the Army Rangers went through (as far as my understanding goes from listening to former Rangers on podcasts/forums) after 9/11. Rangers went from an elite light infrantry role (simiar to RMC) eg "Blackhawk down" to conducting missons of greater complexity.

So saying "just expand SBS" would be saying the same as, rather than developing the Ranger Regiment they should just expand Delta.

If you go back thousands of years you see the same basic pattern, but it is brilliantly illustrated since the fall of 1914:
War happens. Your TTPs change. Your equipment changes. War ends. You evaluate the 5W's and make a prediction on how you'll fight the next war (probably a predictive 5W's here as well).

Look at the US since January 1, 2001 and then every 5 years after. Look at how much has changed militarily. Other nations are doing the same, this is a natural pattern. Now, some nations do better than others with the lessons learned and predictive analysis while others...become fodder in the next war. The UK is doing what all of our nations are doing and it will work out or it won't. You plan and hope to be Germany in '39 at the start and the US in '45 at the end, but no plan survives first contact (also, fuck Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney).
Why fuck Rumsfeld and Cheney? Not a big fan of either but curious.

Back