Rucksacks

Speaking of rucks

Well, having just spent 22 days under a Kifaru ZXR on combat patrols and recon missions in the jungles of a country south of where most of you are... I can tell you that I wouldnt take it back for a second go round if I had an ALICE pack.

While the ruck is as comfortable to wear as one can hope for bearing 90 lbs of light weight gear it isnt as user friendly as I would have liked. I found the small size of the top opening quite annoying when looking for something, however the bottom opening seemed to be about the right size. The pack wore well over my rack but use of the waist/hip belt is mandatory if moving more than 50 meters and would be near impossible if utilizing a vest or other LBE which hangs low. I tried using it sans belt but due to the tendency of the back to round when the cinch straps are used; the shape of the back padding; and the lumber pad it beat me to death (listing side to side) while trying to maneuver thru the thick foliage and vegetation found here.

It also takes a considerable amount of time to get into and adjusted, which I found to be a problem when moving out from a halt (the Indig dont wait for you to get your shit on and adjusted before they start moving out, and they will leave you.) The slide locks for the shoulder straps seem to work themselves loose during movement which required constant adjustments to the shoulder straps, lift offs, and sternum strap; this become more than annoying after a short amount of time.

I also found the ruck too tall, for me atleast, to use in this environment due to the number of wait-a-minute vines and low hanging trees; my XTL caught on everything it seems. The side slot pockets were useful for holding my hydration bladders until I bumped into a black palm and pierced one of them on the thorns then I started carrying the other inside the main compartment.

All that being said, the ability to go "slick" was a benefit. The XTL was great for get to quickly items and again it was pretty comfortable.

And the worst part about the whole thing... the inability, due to how low it extends past the lumbar pad, to do a rucksack flop and remain in a reclined position...

Crip

I have the Kifaru Extended mission pack, I have the same type of complaints. Great ruck, but not exactly what the military needs.

Crip, was it a personal purchase or unit issue?

I tried the ZXR on but knew just from how it fit in the shop it was too tall and got a Navigator instead.

Crip, was it a personal purchase or unit issue?

I tried the ZXR on but knew just from how it fit in the shop it was too tall and got a Navigator instead.

It was a personal purchase.

I hadnt had the chance to try one prior to purchase but was very pleased with my Marauder so I though what the hell. I think I will be digging my MALICE out of the closet when I get home, or having an ALICE mod'd to suit my needs and getting another MR NICE frame for it.

It is a great pack for other applications, but the jungle, during combat ops, is not where it was built for...

YMMV,

Crip

I too am a huge fan of the large alice. I had mine upgraded at the sew shop in Ft. Bragg to match the tactical tailor ruck. That thing is way overpriced! You can get a used ruck at the surplus store and have it modified for under $100.00. Add some decent shoulder straps and she' good to go.

I used a Kelty bag while deployed in the Philippines. Good bag but not big enough for the type of travel you will be doing IMO. We used them as bug out bags, enough room for all of the essential incase of an unplanned week or two spent in the jungles if you know what I mean.

Good thread.

It was a very interesting time indeed. If you think the news was fascinating you should have been on the ground watching...

Crip

Stay Safe
Have already heard some intresting stories

If you want to get rid of your pack let me know

I took my molle and threw that piece of trash in the closet and stuck with the alice large becasue it has never let me down in 7years. I wont do anymore modifications to it since I am down to ets in 9months.

Nice. That issue?

Brit Army issue.
NZ uses a modified ALICE.

When I was in we were issued large ALICE packs (before they were modified), the straps and frame killed me but for jungle environments the size and shape are really good, better than the PLCE bergen IMO as that is quite tall and wide, would like to try one of the new fancy ALICE packs.

I too am a huge fan of the large alice. ...

Ditto. I tried using the new MOLLE ruck a couple of years back, it looks cool but wasn't as functional as I would have liked. This PCS I didn't even take the one the unit issued.

Anything they issue that includes a video so you can put it together, is probably too complicated for you to issue to a guy like me.:2c:

Ditto. I tried using the new MOLLE ruck a couple of years back, it looks cool but wasn't as functional as I would have liked. This PCS I didn't even take the one the unit issued.

Anything they issue that includes a video so you can put it together, is probably too complicated for you to issue to a guy like me.:2c:

I tossed a MOLLE ruck into the back of an LMTV and pulled it out to find the frame cracked. Mothballed.

maybe I got lucky but I liked mine.... was issued at bat, cleared to alaska with it, used it consistently throughout everything I did... Most of the time I could use my camelbak backpack and take care of everything I needed to out of that.

but, with all the horror stories about them breaking etc, I don't fault people for not using them. I beat the shit out of mine before I even thought about using it for anything when we got them issued... Mine didn't break on my testing, so I used it when I could. I preferred the modified version that they made/issued for the gustav gunners, the sleeping bag pouch on the bottom was permanently attached with a lace-up and/or zippered seperator, so you could have a veritable cavern of storage if you wanted.

Being a civvie now, and hearing the issues with a kifaru in a jungle, and with how thick it can get in the woods up here, I might end up going another route now.

If you can get your hands on one first do it. Just like the differences in height between models there are also differences in width.

Being as big a guy as you are I don't imagine your ruck would get hung up on anything you wouldn't if you got one sized right. :2c:

I just find that my MOLLE ruck doesn't hold what I need it to. I can't wait until the conventional army adopts multicam. my MALICE ruck rocks my socks.

I can tell you that I wouldnt take it back for a second go round if I had an ALICE pack.

Crip

I think I will be digging my MALICE out of the closet when I get home, or having an ALICE mod'd to suit my needs and getting another MR NICE frame for it.

YMMV,

Crip

after having read all of this again whilst sober.... I like my MALICE ruck better than my MOLLE ruck, but I just don't like the way it pulls me back the heavier it gets. does the MR NICE frame fix that?

It was a very interesting time indeed. If you think the news was fascinating you should have been on the ground watching...

Crip

be safe, bro. i know safe doesn't always factor in to tactics, but just come back in one piece, roughly the same size as when you left, k?

If you can get your hands on one first do it. Just like the differences in height between models there are also differences in width.

Being as big a guy as you are I don't imagine your ruck would get hung up on anything you wouldn't if you got one sized right. :2c:

Yeah, plus I have the advantage of not having to be tactical anymore so I can just bulldoze if necessary lol

it'd be nice to see one but that would require a flight to the lower 48.

Back