Rucksacks

Well, I will soon be getting issued a Lowe Alpine (Saracen)Pack.....pictures will be posted. :)

Had something similar issued at Group in the 80's - still had to jump an ALICE for a long time due to issues with ahrnessing the beast to jump - and us short guys still had a hell of a time jumping those long ass Lowes...

Only in a shitbird outfit with shitbird leaders IMO.

Anal disipline covers a deeper problem, A well lead unit doesn't need it. :2c:

Thus the quote 'Shooter's choice' takes on an all-encompassing meaning!

Gunz-rucks-equipment.....Shooter's choice

Like Centermass, I always had my own modified ruck, claymore pockets....added side pockets...broke a frame or two...bought new ones....

I modified my kidney pad with a 100 mph taped airplane pillow and the same for the frame crossbeam. Used the taped pillow, (held on by green bungies) as my waddaya think? pillow....and the bungies for the poncho hootch.....

Took about 60 seconds to set up...and say nite nite..

H2 had about the same thing.....

;);)

Had something similar issued at Group in the 80's - still had to jump an ALICE for a long time due to issues with ahrnessing the beast to jump - and us short guys still had a hell of a time jumping those long ass Lowes...

Their being made specifically for the Irish DF, in our Camo pattern. A few Units have been issued(deployed) so far and nothing but good things to say..

The Back is adjustable and the padding is first class.. our issued one now was in two sizes only and if you didn't get issued one suited to your back.. your fucked..

Were also getting issued a day sac, lowe alpine sabre

taped airplane pillow and the same for the frame crossbeam. Used the taped pillow, (held on by green bungies) as my waddaya think? pillow....and the bungies for the poncho hootch...

Thats a bloody good Idea, I used a kidney pad on my cross beam but damn that pillow idea sure sounds comfy.

I picked up a Bugout Bag on base today for like 40$, officially called the "three day pass" http://www.campingsurvival.com/thdaypababl.html

I've got a really good first impression of it, held 3 days of gear nicely, seems comfortable and sturdy, lots of individual compartments to keep things organized and eazy to find.. even had a place to stick my camelbak blatter.. I'll have to wait till Sunday to give a better review, but I've got high hopes..

I picked up a Bugout Bag on base today for like 40$, officially called the "three day pass" http://www.campingsurvival.com/thdaypababl.html

I've got a really good first impression of it, held 3 days of gear nicely, seems comfortable and sturdy, lots of individual compartments to keep things organized and eazy to find.. even had a place to stick my camelbak blatter.. I'll have to wait till Sunday to give a better review, but I've got high hopes..

yup. good bags, I have one in black and one in ACU. I like them a lot.

you're gonna laugh.... that's why i bought my black one. i had left my ACU one at home while I was downrange, and while taking A&P and Psych online, I got tired of dragging 25 Lbs of textbooks. it should work.

'Bug-out' bag was an oversized camelback with extra pockets and an 'old school' bra full of mags..

Snaplink on the handle and attached to anywhere in the vehicle or helo so you know where it is should 'something' happen.

I carried an 'extra' basic load of ammo.....12 M4's mags, 6 extra Glock mags, surefire, grenades, smoke..power bars, and of course water...Silva, strobe...etc...

I'd get on the helo in kit (w/bug-out bag) with KBR folks lookin at me like. 'What the..., who the...'??...as we're flyin over Bdad.....

If that B-hawk would've been shot down at any point...well,...picture the Mog all over again...I wasn't about to end up wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Crew chiefs, to their benefit , were very understanding about having another shooter on board.

:2c:

I carried a Tactical Tailor 3-day pack, http://tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40, with me with anything I would need should I survive a helo going down. Bad thing is I did my time in Afghanistan unarmed, so no extra mags for me. That doesn't mean you aren't of any value however. Pack it full of water, maps, signaling devices (I carried IR and conventional chem lights and a strobe) and the don't-leave-home-without-it Iridium phone with extra batteries and higher gain antenna, and you become less dead weight in the event of bad things happening. I snap-linked mine to my vest figuring in the event of a crash I wouldn't lose it.

I always felt it better to have and not need, than need and not have.

'Bug-out' bag was an oversized camelback with extra pockets and an 'old school' bra full of mags..

Snaplink on the handle and attached to anywhere in the vehicle or helo so you know where it is should 'something' happen.

I carried an 'extra' basic load of ammo.....12 M4's mags, 6 extra Glock mags, surefire, grenades, smoke..power bars, and of course water...Silva, strobe...etc...

I'd get on the helo in kit (w/bug-out bag) with KBR folks lookin at me like. 'What the..., who the...'??...as we're flyin over Bdad.....

If that B-hawk would've been shot down at any point...well,...picture the Mog all over again...I wasn't about to end up wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Crew chiefs, to their benefit , were very understanding about having another shooter on board.

:2c:

always. whenever I flew with my crews we were always happy to have the extra guns and bullets, and they were always happy to have me. I never worried about carrying extra ammo, though. I knew if the bird went down, the pilots wouldn't need the ammo, so I'd have 14 extra mags of 5.56 and 6 extra of 9mm.

I carried a Tactical Tailor 3-day pack, http://tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40, with me with anything I would need should I survive a helo going down. Bad thing is I did my time in Afghanistan unarmed, so no extra mags for me. That doesn't mean you aren't of any value however. Pack it full of water, maps, signaling devices (I carried IR and conventional chem lights and a strobe) and the don't-leave-home-without-it Iridium phone with extra batteries and higher gain antenna, and you become less dead weight in the event of bad things happening. I snap-linked mine to my vest figuring in the event of a crash I wouldn't lose it.

yup. like condoms and guns.

My wife calls me the Last Boy Scout.

When I was in my Squad would always asked me why I carried so much stuff. "You will thank me one day"

I got thanked a lot

My wife calls me the Last Boy Scout.

When I was in my Squad would always asked me why I carried so much stuff. "You will thank me one day"

I got thanked a lot

I had the same thing happen. "You're a dumbass to carry all that extra shit..."

"Umm, can we have (insert item here)..."

A side note on the MOLLE - anybody have any problems jumping it? When we jumped ours (which we did only once), we had more injuries on that jump than the entire training cycle previous.

One of my mates broke his MOLLE frame by pulling it out of the box, putting it together, and throwing it up on top of his walllocker.

I had the same thing happen. "You're a dumbass to carry all that extra shit..."

"Umm, can we have (insert item here)..."

A side note on the MOLLE - anybody have any problems jumping it? When we jumped ours (which we did only once), we had more injuries on that jump than the entire training cycle previous.

One of my mates broke his MOLLE frame by pulling it out of the box, putting it together, and throwing it up on top of his walllocker.

I read somewhere that the mole ruck was not designed by, or intended for use with, paratroopers. this probably would explain the plethora of injuries...... personally, I like my MALICE ruck.

Back