Rucksacks

Forgive my ignorant ass, why would a ruck make any difference to injuries while jumping?

It's slung below the jumper while landing.... :uhh:

The problem we found was the ruck with it's "ergonomic parabolic frame" turned into a little wing when lowered, and started making us oscillate like a sum'bitch.

The command in all of it's glory decided we HAD to take them to Afghanistan (typical big army - it's new, it MUST be better), but everyone left them when we went to Iraq a couple of months after getting home.

I still have and use my Alice - and i keep a bug out bag in my car, just had to steristrip a stone cutters finger together on Fri while I was out on a site inspection - The construction guys looked at me funny when the small aid kit, bottle of water and clean white terry towels were readily available from the management geeks trunk as soon as he pulled up...

Never underestimate the power of having a well stocked bug out bag - or a loaded trunk in the car.

Anyone know anything about Kelty packs?...

The one you referenced is a pretty large pack, standing about the same height as the Kifaru EMR. I thought about purchasing one prior to my vacation in SA, but the waist belt was the deciding factor not to buy. It has a HUGE plastic piece that sits over your lower abdomen that I didnt like. I will try to find some pics to show you what I am talking about.

Other than that it seemed like a well made pack. I would probably look at the Arctera packs if I were gonna spend 400.00 or a Kifaru...

Crip

I own 2 Kelty both have held up so far...Also own a Dana which was bought by Marmot. Good backs I have had mine over 12 years

Lowe Alpine Saracen

This is the New pack on Issue to the Irish Defence Forces.

The Guy in the Vid gives a good review of the Pack.

Used Kiwi issue ALICE clone last year in the jungle - Was the dogs bollox!
Normally use a Lowe Alpine Vector Commando or Samson, good bags.

Pictures of the Irish Lowe Saracen. Great Pack and loads of features..It has tons of compression straps and the Snow sleeve goes up to about a foot above the top of the pack.

PB, this pack would fit your huge size as its fully adjustable back system, as seen in the vid.

Attachments

• DSCF0253.jpg
    DSCF0253.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0248.jpg
    DSCF0248.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0250.jpg
    DSCF0250.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0249.jpg
    DSCF0249.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 89
The only problems I see with most packs these days, and this includes the Kifaru EMP that I have, is that there are too many straps and compartments.

It's good to have different places to store things, and it makes it easier to have more readily accesible equipment availible out of the main compartment. But I find that it gets to a point, where it is too much.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thats why I like the Arcteryx echo, and packs like that:
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Echo.asp#

The Lowe Alpine one you have Irish looks really good. Simple and big.

The only problems I see with most packs these days, and this includes the Kifaru EMP that I have, is that there are too many straps and compartments.

It's good to have different places to store things, and it makes it easier to have more readily accesible equipment availible out of the main compartment. But I find that it gets to a point, where it is too much.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thats why I like the Arcteryx echo, and packs like that:
http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Echo.asp#

The Lowe Alpine one you have Irish looks really good. Simple and big.

Its is..it has one main compartment and a divider at the base for easier access to kit. The two side pouches can come off and make a day sac but as we were issued a sabre(lowe Alpine 35ltr) we 'll be using that as a patrol pack.

It has a floating lid which acts as compression for your kit..all round great pack.

The main is 100 ltr and the side pouches bring it up to 120 ltr.

They're all just modified versions of the old Brit bergen that I've carried for years now, good basic design.

Back