Rucksacks

The only problems I see with most packs these days, and this includes the Kifaru EMP that I have, is that there are too many straps and compartments.

It's good to have different places to store things, and it makes it easier to have more readily accesible equipment availible out of the main compartment. But I find that it gets to a point, where it is too much.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oh hell yeah, the new MOLLE ruck the issue us sucks! Joe puts all the attachment pouches on it and then put's his equipment spread out in all these areas making his ruck an unevenly distributed load. They are carrying the same amount of equipment, but it feels twice as heavy.

I just use the main compartment and throw all the attachments in a duffle bag.

I simply loved my large ALLICE pack the best!

The only problems I see with most packs these days, and this includes the Kifaru EMP that I have, is that there are too many straps and compartments.

It's good to have different places to store things, and it makes it easier to have more readily accesible equipment availible out of the main compartment. But I find that it gets to a point, where it is too much.

Anyone else have this problem?

Oh hell yeah, the new MOLLE ruck the issue us sucks! Joe puts all the attachment pouches on it and then put's his equipment spread out in all these areas making his ruck an unevenly distributed load. They are carrying the same amount of equipment, but it feels twice as heavy.

I just use the main compartment and throw all the attachments in a duffle bag.

I simply loved my large ALLICE pack the best!

ALICE pack is the best for me as well. The MOLLE is just way too much all over the place, although I do like the zipper at the bottom where you can get to gear purposely placed there w/o having to dig through your pack.

I've carried my Kelty Redwing all over the world. It's served me well over the past three years and, other than some well earned dirt and stains, has not fallen apart at all. But will Big Army let you sling a civilian pack? Also, I've never overtly carried anything tactical in it, though I know it can be done.

I like TT's stuff. I use their gear for my business.

I've carried my Kelty Redwing all over the world. It's served me well over the past three years and, other than some well earned dirt and stains, has not fallen apart at all. But will Big Army let you sling a civilian pack? Also, I've never overtly carried anything tactical in it, though I know it can be done.

I like TT's stuff. I use their gear for my business.

I have one that I use for day hikes. Its a pretty good little pack.

I didn't like the MOLLE pack because of the quagmire of straps and the plastic frame that always found a way to break. I also didn't like the way the day pack mounted to it.

I didn't like the Marine ILBE pack because it didn't work well with armor and it extended to far above the shoulders making raising your head a PITA in the prone. There was still a quagmire of straps. It would be an great pack for extended civilian style hikes though.

Right now I use a moded large ALICE with a MR NICE frame. Its working for me so far.

I still don't like the whole theory that mounting a day pack to a ruck really works.

So I'm not the only one who thinks the plastic frames on the MOLLE rucks suck. Haven't had a reason to use it downrange, so I haven't broken a frame yet.

Its is..it has one main compartment and a divider at the base for easier access to kit. The two side pouches can come off and make a day sac but as we were issued a sabre(lowe Alpine 35ltr) we 'll be using that as a patrol pack.

It has a floating lid which acts as compression for your kit..all round great pack.

The main is 100 ltr and the side pouches bring it up to 120 ltr.

I'm not that sold on the new pack yet. I haven't done any major walking in it but I've worn it with weight in it and it just didn't seem right on my back.

Then again, I always had a thing for the PLCE Backpack :D

Ive been running the TT MALICE 3 for 4 years now... its enough for me. Ive never been pitched gear that it wouldnt take. The 1000 denier holds up nice, looks like the day i bought it.

I've been a bit loathe to post things I make up here as I don't want it to look like I'm soliciting but I though I would post this one up here to give guys an idea of what they can do with a an Alice pack aside from the Malice if they are still using one. Please don't PM me to build one, I live in NZ and I'm busy enough catering to my Battalion and guys that wear to much hair gel but if you want the dimensions for something similar I'm more than happy to help, I can even recommend a few good stitch bitches CONUS that can hook you up.

I know some of the older guys will look at it and think I'm on drugs for having so many pouches and I do agree it's overkill but I have a list of stuff I have to take and this is the only way I can do it. I also use a Karrimor SF but I don't really like it in the jungle as it sits a bit high and I'm always getting snagged on wait a while and shit.

This pack design was originally thought up by a chap known as the Rexpert from 1NZSAS, even with all the 1000d it weighs slightly less than out issue Alice and enables you to only have to go inside the pack to conduct night routine, everything you need for the day to day stuff is on the outside.

DSCF0729Medium.jpg

Front overall view. The central pouch is massive to fit 3 days broken down rations,

DSCF0736Medium.jpg

Side zipper pouch with wet weather trousers. Jacket goes in the other side.

DSCF0733Medium.jpg

Top three snivel gear pouches. Snivel pouch, sized to fit a gas can and cooker.

DSCF0738Medium.jpg

Main lid compartment, you can fit a mammoth amount of gear in here.

DSCF0737Medium.jpg

Top claymore pouch. It fits 2 claymores prepped up, some wanker thought a 5 man team was perfectly capable of ambushing so SOP changed to two.

so, not to be a necromancer or anything.... but since I'm looking for a MR NICE frame, which one is it that you can use with the ALICE? or do they not have it anymore? do you have to do any modifications to the pack in order to fit the frame, or does it slip right over? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

the link that's ben posted in this thread isn't good anymore; MR changed the site considerably.

There are two NICE frames, the difference is the max recommended weight to be supported. They are the same functionally.

I would get the more heavy duty one if I were you.

Crip

so, not to be a necromancer or anything.... but since I'm looking for a MR NICE frame, which one is it that you can use with the ALICE? or do they not have it anymore? do you have to do any modifications to the pack in order to fit the frame, or does it slip right over? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

the link that's ben posted in this thread isn't good anymore; MR changed the site considerably.

Again, as with the ALICE, the standard to affix most is with either FASTEX buckles, grommets, nylon straps or even a combination of them all.

Try this one- Link

Just started using a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack.....Really like it so far. everything is extra long, like the sternum strap, so it makes it easier to use over top of your flak and rig. Has two comparments for bladders and has a harness for a radio if needs be.

The waist belt can be folded away in a pouch when not in use, and it has a 3 zipper system, so you can open the bag fully. has a great back support, which can be sized for the individual and is very comfortable.

The only thing that I think may be an issue, is that the bag is designed to go wide instead of out, when packing it. So you have to take that into account, when moving indoors with it.

But all things said and done I think it is a great pack and would recommend it to anyone.

I found one ding on my Malice 3 and that is with the kidney pad ordered through TT. The buckles loosen up, seemingly with little to no load on them. I put a half-hitch in then using the free running end and the problem went away. Taping them would probably work too. Otherwise, the beast is awesome.

I found one ding on my Malice 3 and that is with the kidney pad ordered through TT. The buckles loosen up, seemingly with little to no load on them. I put a half-hitch in then using the free running end and the problem went away. Taping them would probably work too. Otherwise, the beast is awesome.

I was hoping you'd go with the Trash bags and 550 cord to make your own ruck... Duct tape for the stress points.:doh::D

Free, is it the metal ladderlocks like the old Alice gear or a plastic ladderlock? If its the old metal type there is a way to lash those straps that wont slip without the hitch. Can you pass the running end back through the buckle?

Free, is it the metal ladderlocks like the old Alice gear or a plastic ladderlock? If its the old metal type there is a way to lash those straps that wont slip without the hitch. Can you pass the running end back through the buckle?

Plastic. The others like it on the bag have no problem, just the two on my kidney pad seem to do it. Once I put the half-hitch in the problem went away.

I'm guessing they will be standard 1" Ladderlocks, probably Duraflex. The reason the are slipping is a ladderlock is designed to allow slide adjustment on a level surface i.e. pull directly on it. Because it is contouring with your waist it is being slightly rounded and allowing the tension to come off. The solution is to either stitch the buckles so the teeth side is facing towards the pack or you can try doing these. I recommend choking it back, if that doesn't work use the triglides (I can send you some if you need) I dont advise knotting your webbing as if it gets enough pressure on it, it locks down and will never come undone, you have to cut it and that will screw you up when it comes time to strip your pack if your frame blows out or you need to clean it for FET etc.

I hope this all makes sense dude, I've got my geek on. I'll get started on Actetel and Nylon fittings comparison next...

mosaic.jpg

Back