Rucksacks

informative!! thanks!!! I have the same problem and I just figured I didn't know how to properly install a kidney pad... guess I know better now! :D

The TT kidney pad is notorious for having issues with slippage. They also tend to roll a bit under heavy loads (>80 lbs). For the reasons noted I used an Eagle Industries pad on my ruck for some time before switching to a NICE frame and eventually a Kifaru ruck.

I still have a slightly mod'd ALICE with standard frame sitting in my kit room in the event I go back down south....

Crip

I know I am a gear whore but I always am looking at new things. I saw this posted in another place by one of our old members and it has peaked my interest:uhh: now we all know Molle Rucks SUCK the frame even more:2c: But this looks interesting, have any of you seen or heard anything about this Frame and or Pack?

http://www.downeastinc.com/packs/packs.html

http://www.downeastinc.com/1606.html

Anyone tried this out yet? It's a collaboration between Camelbak and Mystery Ranch. Considering getting it or the Kelty Falcon 4000...

60912-b.jpg

camelbak-trizip-004.jpg

I can't speak to that, BUT the only kelty I've ever owned had this problem where the waist strap would work itself loose every 10 min or so and dump all the weight on my shoulders.. and this was on a relatively flat trail, pack weight couldn't have been more than 35 or 40 lbs... :2c:

Cupcake-
look into the Lowe Alpine Series too... We tested them when I was at Devens - not bad, but the MilSpec version was a little long/tall for me. One issue with internal frame packs... they get warm on your back and stay that way. think about where you are going to be using it.

Yeah, the Lowes are too long for me (63" if i really think tall). I just picked up a Mystery Ranch Big Sky. Went to the store and they pieced it together for me with the right size yoke and belt so it fits really well. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow morning. It was spendy, but hopefully I'll never have to buy another one. It was tough deciding between getting the Mystery Ranch Frame and putting my alice on it or getting a whole pack, but I had a hard time swallowing 300 bucks for just a frame.

Oh, this has to lead to a song.... Go Ask Alice - I love me my Large Alice (old style frame and all....)

You can keep her. I just tested out my new pack and it was the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my back (sorry SPC Smalls... ). I haven't rucked in a while so I started out with a fairly light load of 35 lbs. Usually on the first ruck after a long break it takes a little while to get comfortable under the weight again. I threw this pack on and went about 10k. It felt like a was wearing a fanny pack. My back and shoulders never got sore (not even those pesky bulged disks),the weight never felt like a burden, and no limbs went numb. My feet still suffered a bit, but that's gonna happen.

Anyone want to buy an Arc'Teryx backpack? I'm gonna ditch my civi bag and stick with this one for all endeavors.

I love my MALICE. not crazy about the ALICE frame, but with the double padded Tac tailor kidney pad and straps, it's tits. I'll upgrade to a MR NICE frame eventually, I just can't justify it yet. we don't ruck hardly at all in the Cav.

Mystery Ranch *gotta love the grizzly for some long humps* followed closely by the ALICE pack. The best thing you can do with the MOLLE frame is never unwrap the bitch.
I was talking to some of the new guys that came over before I got out, Hood isn't even issuing the ALICE anymore, WTF?!

I'm looking really hard at the DEI 1606 Alice compatible frame and strap kits. Trying to organise a trial by my unit.
FNULNU, we have the MR Trizips, they are OK but no good for more than a night. Do you have pics of your Mystery Ranch setup?

I was talking to some of the new guys that came over before I got out, Hood isn't even issuing the ALICE anymore, WTF?!

not true. Well, at least not in my Battalion.... All of my nugs and myself got the big green tick and then the nugs got a MOLLE in RFI. I got mine from CIF at Stewart 2 years ago. I just keep the issue alice and all of the stupid suspenders and belt and such in the pack 'til it's time to turn it in when I PCS. :D

After all of the research I have done and reading the threads here, I am pretty much sold on the Mystery Ranch Nice Comm 2. Perfect set up for what I need, but the only problem is that it is so damned expensive (with the frame and other accessories). I tried to order it through my supply system but it is one of the few packs that they carry that doesn't have an assigned NSN.

For anybody that has experience with the Mystery Ranch packs, how do they feel wearing them with body armor? I know with my issued ILBE it is hard to get it to fit right over the plate carrier. Haven't tested it with an Alice pack yet.

HeloMedic - Where is a good place to pick up the double padded Tac tailor kidney pad and straps?

After all of the research I have done and reading the threads here, I am pretty much sold on the Mystery Ranch Nice Comm 2. Perfect set up for what I need, but the only problem is that it is so damned expensive (with the frame and other accessories). I tried to order it through my supply system but it is one of the few packs that they carry that doesn't have an assigned NSN.

For anybody that has experience with the Mystery Ranch packs, how do they feel wearing them with body armor? I know with my issued ILBE it is hard to get it to fit right over the plate carrier. Haven't tested it with an Alice pack yet.

HeloMedic - Where is a good place to pick up the double padded Tac tailor kidney pad and straps?

Mystery ranch packs have an option to add "bolsters" to the frame. They stabilize the ruck when you're wearing armor. It's worth the extra 50 bucks to get these if you wear your pack with armor plates. I don't know of any better system for dealing with armor. The Bolster seam like a pretty simple trick actually though. I kind of think you could make a similar thing for an alice frame... but I haven't attempted it.

I'll take picks of it and post them.

They are a lot of dough, but they also bring me much joy, and I don't spend a lot of money on stuff, so when I do, I want the best one, that has a life time guarantee so I will never have to buy another one again.

Mystery ranch packs have stupid pricing. Have you looked at Eberlestock

Just checked out Eberlestock. Not a bad deal. No joke about the Mystery Ranch pricing ($750 for the complete setup). If I can't get the Mystery Ranch packs through my supply system, then I will definately look into Eberlestock. They have a FAC pack that looks like it might work perfectly for what I need. Do you have any personal experience with the Eberlestock packs?

Back