Rucksacks

Didn't read all 7 pages, however in response to the title of the thread, rucksacks suck!! It is your life in a big green tick however, and the load weight you will carry in whatever type you use will be positioned differently than just dead weight. You might have shit poking you in the back when you get in the field that you didn't learn how to pack properly by using sand, plates, human heads, etc. I have to go with the Troll on the above.

Gotta weigh in. I made an earlier post but deleted it. Anyway......

Pack your ALICE like you would for any mission. Clothing, food, toiletries, water, sleeping bag, etc. Then walk with it. DON'T run with it. Walk as far as you can, go a little further each day. But in the end - the old saying keeps coming back - train as you fight - so, again, put in there what you would have in there, and carry that. Screw sandbags and all that other horseshit.

Mine used to weigh about 45 lbs.

I agree completely, thats why I like having my fins and all in it now, but given where I am stationed and the fact that my unit is not HSLD, I have no access to other gear to pack without utilizing self funds (which are lacking currently) and therefore I must improvise.. Thats what the steel plates were too, best I could do at the time, and back then I didnt want to keep my rocketfins in my bag (they were expensive and new) All of that steel plate stuff was when I was a civ trying to prepare my body for my PJ GTEP.
Side note: dont do step ups wearing tennis shoes, a 70 lb ruck, and holding a 45 lb bench bar; when you roll your ankle it WILL suck. ;)

He is a civilian, WTF does he know about field loading? Just saying.

That said it is better to field load. :2c:

OK this Kid knows nothing about packing, field gear, sop's,, Mission essential equipment, Combat fighting Load,ETC. Hell troll why don't you send him an IBA, Molle LBE (complete with pouches,mags and ammo), ACH, Boots, and a set of ACU's because "Thats what he will be wearing when Humping a Ruck in the field" Oh don't forget 5 days worth of rations and since you demed that he would have a side arm he needs a 9mil also. BTW the fluffy stuffing shit was to fill the BOTTOM of the Ruck so any other weight would be toward the top.

I would say this is a crawl stage as in crawl,walk, run. This was just PT Rucking advice, he can/learn to walk threw the woods like a ninja with a ruck on latter.

But what do I know!

Agreed.

OK this Kid knows nothing about packing, field gear, sop's,, Mission essential equipment, Combat fighting Load,ETC. Hell troll why don't you send him an IBA, Molle LBE (complete with pouches,mags and ammo), ACH, Boots, and a set of ACU's because "Thats what he will be wearing when Humping a Ruck in the field" Oh don't forget 5 days worth of rations and since you demed that he would have a side arm he needs a 9mil also. BTW the fluffy stuffing shit was to fill the BOTTOM of the Ruck so any other weight would be toward the top.

I would say this is a crawl stage as in crawl,walk, run. This was just PT Rucking advice, he can/learn to walk threw the woods like a ninja with a ruck on latter.

But what do I know!

If he has a ruck, clothing, boots, shoes, a parka, sleeping bag, some canned food, a tent, etc. Then my post is valid... these items can be excellent field training aids and expedients for the combat load items ... flexibility and the ability to improvise are key as a soldier (generic term for any servicemember). Knowing what's really going to be there and how it will ride is not something you want to find out in Basic, or a selection course, when you are used to perfect balance in your ruck from using plates.

I promise you the plates I used in no way provided perfect balance, in fact they moved a lot even. I wrapped them in towels to take up some space and try and minimize them slamming into my spine too much, but they still would give me a little love tap every now and then. (I would doubletime a half mile at a time- do not advise this to anyone) They also rubbed holes in the pack which I was not too happy about. I recently got to let a buddy who had significant sere training mend the overstressed shoulders that were coming undone from all the weight and abuse I have put the thing through. Your list of other improvised items is a good one.

The key is to fill it, and make it weigh a reasonable amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with CAR and the Troll, but I see EAT's point....

definitely pack your ruck with useable/semi-usable items. a couple uniforms can be exchanged for a couple pairs of old jeans and a pair of long sleeve shirts, sweaters, or a couple really light jackets or some hooded sweaters. socks are socks, throw in a few pairs of those. boots? if you don't have a pair, a couple pairs of sneakers will weigh close to the same. as for food and gear -

Canned food is fine, or camp food if you're an outdoorsy-type, also bags of sunflower seeds, trail mix, or really whatever you want in there. a good heavy jacket or parks will equate to some sniffle/snivel gear (cold weather shite) and you can get creative with ammo, commo, and the like. it also depends on your job - I carry plenty o' ammo, but I don't carry crew-served loadout or commo, beyond a small motorola or *maybe* an MBITR. I get a pass for the 30 to 40 LBs. of aid station on top of my ruck, and frankly, I'm nearly always near my PSG, PL, or a SL with one. BUT - you could still use a brick instead of an MBITR, and then fold up a small tentpole (if you have a tent, if not, it's not important to buy one just for this) to use as an "antennae". you could also get some 2x4 scraps, or something similar in size to a STANAG magazine in size. a 30 rd mag weighs approx. 1.5 LBs, so 6 of them weighs 9 Lbs. all in all, it'll take creativity, but once you've assembled around 40-50Lbs. (I also recommend 45 Lbs.) of stuff, start packing it in your ruck. I think you can try field packing it later, for right now arrange it so it doesn't poke you in the back or lean to one side. best of luck.

Ive never understood extra uniforms and boots in a ruck, a total fucking waste of time and space IMO.
WTF good is that?
Your ruck loading is going to change between every mission, most of the shit I carried is because some asshole Officer or SNCO told me to take some worthless shit I didnt need and never used, I can go light and perform :2c:
Ammo, commo, warmth and water are must have's with regards to weight.

In regard to the POSSIBLE recruit in question and rucking (which it seems this thread has turned into ), I (as stated before) haven't read all seven pages of this and that. However, where this young person is concerned, I would like to see them post their current PT score based on 2 min pushups, 2 min situps, 2 mile run, and see if all the brewhaha is even worth posting. All the rucking in the world won't mean a thang if you ain't got the swang. I agree with parts of many and most of some, but I will tell you this; people in training aspects hated to have me as the pace man due to my stride and drive. If this hopeful isn't meeting the PT standards then all of this back and forth is just a bunch of in-house cock fighting. Tuck your shit back in, sit back down on the shitter, and hold your side of the newspaper until he posts some PT scores.

In regard to the POSSIBLE recruit in question and rucking (which it seems this thread has turned into ), I (as stated before) haven't read all seven pages of this and that. However, where this young person is concerned, I would like to see them post their current PT score based on 2 min pushups, 2 min situps, 2 mile run, and see if all the brewhaha is even worth posting. All the rucking in the world won't mean a thang if you ain't got the swang. I agree with parts of many and most of some, but I will tell you this; people in training aspects hated to have me as the pace man due to my stride and drive. If this hopeful isn't meeting the PT standards then all of this back and forth is just a bunch of in-house cock fighting. Tuck your shit back in, sit back down on the shitter, and hold your side of the newspaper until he posts some PT scores.

You're such a wet woobie.......

PT scores? Alright, but my last PT test was proctored by my recruiter about 3 months ago, and she only gave me 1:00 minute for cals rather than 2:00. Also, I was only timed for a 1.5 mile, not a 2 mile.

Pushups: 50
Situps: 60
1.5 mile: 10:20

Is that legit enough?

That's OK, you still need to do some work though, particularly on your run.

If we are going to get anal about how to load the ruck then we need to go back to my original point and ensure he uses the ruck he is issued with I.E. the MOLLE, because the style of ruck makes huge difference when humping it.

If he has a ruck, clothing, boots, shoes, a parka, sleeping bag, some canned food, a tent, etc. Then my post is valid... these items can be excellent field training aids and expedients for the combat load items ... flexibility and the ability to improvise are key as a soldier (generic term for any servicemember). Knowing what's really going to be there and how it will ride is not something you want to find out in Basic, or a selection course, when you are used to perfect balance in your ruck from using plates.

Since he (brent) has been asking me about PJ indoc, I can deduce that the MOLLE is not what he'd be issued, at least not at first. As for further in the pipeline, those more knowledgeable than me on the matter would have to chime in.
The ALICE prepared me well, I felt. What I was given at Indoc worked significantly better (hence why I wish I could find out what it was and look into buying one personally) but still was a version of the ALICE, so far as I could tell. (maybe a MALICE even)

OK, didnt know he was looking as AF, in that case he should get an ALICE.

I didn't mean to take over this thread, but I sincerely appreciate all of te information everyone is taking the time to share with me. Thank you!

If we are going to get anal about how to load the ruck then we need to go back to my original point and ensure he uses the ruck he is issued with I.E. the MOLLE, because the style of ruck makes huge difference when humping it.

Agreed as to choice of ruck. I still believe it shoud be packed with gear and supplies to get the correct idea for loading. That way he'll be able to tell what the feel of different methods of packing while moving - learn by experience what needs to sit where, without damaging kidneys by bouncing hard, sharp corners of things off of them.

Brent - have you gotten through the frequency drift here and figured out which of the information you need?

Back