Rucksacks

I have been wanting to get a rucksack for a while so that I am somewhat familiar with marching before I ship out, but not sure what kind to get. Should I just wait until I am in? :confused:

Get the same ruck that you be issued with. i.e. Army = MOLLE

Get the same ruck that you be issued with. i.e. Army = MOLLE

Fuck That, Why have 2 pieces of shit, You can still use an alice with your unit when you get there. When you get your Molle from CIF just keep it in the duffle so it will be nice and clean for TA-50 layout and then turn in when you pcs or ets.

Fuck That, Why have 2 pieces of shit, You can still use an alice with your unit when you get there. When you get your Molle from CIF just keep it in the duffle so it will be nice and clean for TA-50 layout and then turn in when you pcs or ets.

I loaded a MOLLE ruck once, the frame broke while I was lifting it. My ALICE is older than a good number of the members of the board and is still going strong. No contest.

Blah blah blah from the pensioner crowd, get back in your rocking chairs.

Some units require you to use the current issue gear, I.E. ACU MOLLE, mine certainly does. He is also going to basic training which is going to require him to use a MOLLE.
You are required to use a MOLLE during basic training, during RANGER school and during SFAS, you make the choice.

Personally I think all US Mil rucks are shite, cant beat the Brit issue Bergen. :2c:

Wish I could find out the exact brand of the frame and bag I used (was issued) at Indoc, I loved the layout of that ruck. But until then, I'm stuck with my regular old school ALICE I've had for four years. Worked just fine on my ruck last night :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL....worrying about what ruck to train with? You need to be worried about things like your feet and conditioning, you can worry about ruck selection some other day.

Blah blah blah from the pensioner crowd, get back in your rocking chairs.

Some units require you to use the current issue gear, I.E. ACU MOLLE, mine certainly does. He is also going to basic training which is going to require him to use a MOLLE.
You are required to use a MOLLE during basic training, during RANGER school and during SFAS, you make the choice.

Personally I think all US Mil rucks are shite, cant beat the Brit issue Bergen. :2c:

T, Just because you are now HSLD don't forget Rucking is Rucking. Helo medic had the option for his EFMB why? because it is still an Issue Item (it is listed on the page). I Dont buy that everyone in your Unit rocks a molle, I'm sure you do due to you just being issued your gear. Hell if you/him want to blend in get a Large alice in ACU (Hint Malice) . Again Rucking is Rucking It sucks no Mater what!

T, Just because you are now HSLD don't forget Rucking is Rucking. Helo medic had the option for his EFMB why? because it is still an Issue Item (it is listed on the page). I Dont buy that everyone in your Unit rocks a molle, I'm sure you do due to you just being issued your gear. Hell if you/him want to blend in get a Large alice in ACU (Hint Malice) . Again Rucking is Rucking It sucks no Mater what!

NOW HSLD? lol! This is the lowest speed Ive ever been at :doh:

In my unit It is directive that the only gear to be used/carried is current issue ACU. Interesting point about an ACU ALICE though, In wonder if that could be slipped through? but as combat ops are focused on A'stan now which is a multicam theater whats the point?

And yes rucking is rucking, its hard and it hurts, after an hour the ruck sucks regardless of brand but the right fit for you can make a big difference IMO, just like boots.

NOW HSLD? lol! This is the lowest speed Ive ever been at :doh:

In my unit It is directive that the only gear to be used/carried is current issue ACU. Interesting point about an ACU ALICE though, In wonder if that could be slipped through? but as combat ops are focused on A'stan now which is a multicam theater whats the point?

And yes rucking is rucking, its hard and it hurts, after an hour the ruck sucks regardless of brand but the right fit for you can make a big difference IMO, just like boots.

LOL :D

You need to be worried about things like your feet and conditioning, you can worry about ruck selection some other day.

x2

if you/him want to blend in get a Large alice in ACU (Hint Malice) .

yup. I heart my Malice, and you can always upgrade the frame/straps/kidney pad or whatever. just re-read the first bunch of pages in this thread.

NOW as combat ops are focused on A'stan now which is a multicam theater whats the point?

which is another reason to wait til he's in to spend money on a nice rucksack. Also as part of the RIF package for the 'stan, they're issuing a lot of kit in Multicam. I *think* it includes a medium ruck, but i could be mistaken.

FYI - Kifaru has improved their line of packs with what they call "Generation 2". Their large packs didn't see any big significant changes, but they're now selling their remaining first Generation packs for 50% off (limited stock and colors available). You aren't going to get a much better opportunity. www.kifaru.net

for crying out loud, Listen up Grasshopper. Free is 90% right, what you need to do is just Ruck with 35-45 lbs dry (meaning your water is extra) start out with a 3 then 6,8,12 miler and repeat the next week. But for the sake of Grits don't use your 2 dollar school backpack, go to a surplus store and spend 40 bucks on a used Alice w/frame. If you need straps/kidney pad I can send you some used stuff. No matter what you do in life/your career that Large ruck will always be useful if not for you but for a friend that wants to go Rucking/Hiking/camping with you and they don't have one.

The Kifaru's are the cats pajamas, and that is truly a great deal! However it will be a long time off that you would be even close to you being able to use that in any Military way. Also you would be spoiled with it and your "Basic Rucking" skills would suffer.

Roger that. I have been using a WWII era pack I bought years ago for school from a surplus place, but it cuts the circulation of at the shoulders when it is loaded past 30lbs - hence the interest in finding an actual rucksack. The military surplus store here should have one like you have described, but I will check it out. What should I be packing it with? I read some people either use bags of kitty litter or sand, but the sand seems to me that it would weigh the pack down too much in one spot..?

Roger that. I have been using a WWII era pack I bought years ago for school from a surplus place, but it cuts the circulation of at the shoulders when it is loaded past 30lbs - hence the interest in finding an actual rucksack. The military surplus store here should have one like you have described, but I will check it out. What should I be packing it with? I read some people either use bags of kitty litter or sand, but the sand seems to me that it would weigh the pack down too much in one spot..?

The weight should be against your back. As evenly distributed as possible. If its all at the bottom it will pull on the shoulders and fatigue them.
I will often use old phone books/yellow pages, fill my ruck with them to the desired weight, bags of garden mulch etc... they aren't densely heavy like sand so wont pool at the bottom of your ruck.

The weight should be against your back. As evenly distributed as possible. If its all at the bottom it will pull on the shoulders and fatigue them.
I will often use old phone books/yellow pages, fill my ruck with them to the desired weight, bags of garden mulch etc... they aren't densely heavy like sand so wont pool at the bottom of your ruck.

If you get an Alice there is this neat pocket inside made to carry a Radio:), put a sand bag or two in there and distribute the rest of weight between the pockets and the rest of the pack. use a sleeping bag or comforter as stuffing/being able to distribute the load.

If you get an Alice there is this neat pocket inside made to carry a Radio:), put a sand bag or two in there and distribute the rest of weight between the pockets and the rest of the pack. use a sleeping bag or comforter as stuffing/being able to distribute the load.

True. I used to have an old 81mm dummy bomb that Id throw in that pouch.

Thats how I load mine (I used to use steel plates from a bench set though, never sand) and then water bottles or tiny dumbells in the outer pockets. Made for a heavy S O B if I wanted it to be (I liked it around 70 lbs usually)
Sadly, now that I am starting up again after a year of zero rucking, I find myself with none of my previous load out supplies, only my ruck. But I now put functional items inside (for now, til I need more weight) and water bottles in the outer pockets. Radio pouch is empty at the moment but the bag is balanced. (fins wetsuit mask snorkel dive boots inside)

Thats how I load mine (I used to use steel plates from a bench set though, never sand) and then water bottles or tiny dumbells in the outer pockets. Made for a heavy S O B if I wanted it to be (I liked it around 70 lbs usually)
Sadly, now that I am starting up again after a year of zero rucking, I find myself with none of my previous load out supplies, only my ruck. But I now put functional items inside (for now, til I need more weight) and water bottles in the outer pockets. Radio pouch is empty at the moment but the bag is balanced. (fins wetsuit mask snorkel dive boots inside)

Good Stuff, I forgot weights!

I CAN"T STRESS THIS ENOUGH (brent) DO NOT TRAIN WITH OVER 45LBS (DRY) DURING YOUR TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get a feel for the lay of the land the rest will work itself out!

Advice from an old Troll... load a ruck like you would for the field, and to the weight you would need for say 5 days living. You'll learn how to pack what you need where you need it. Use gear not sandbags - learn how your ruck balances when you have mission stack, not weight plates in it. What's your basic load of ammo going to be - you'll have min 6x30rd rifle in your pouches, 1x30rd in your weapon, side arm and 4x pistol mags... so figure crew served issue, extra personal (side and long) of 3-400, extra water, rations, snivel gear, commo gear, clothing.... It's better to get good at carrying what you need, getting it in and out of your ruck (at night, no lights) than just humping the weight.

Weight plates close to your back in the radio pouch, with fluffy stuffing is miles from your D-gear stowed for action. Practice stops where you have to get stuff out and repack in short intervals... your ruck is your home, not just a big tick... Learn how to dump your ruck when you need to, and get it back in order.

A geared out ruck takes on a life of it's own, and it carries differently than a "pt" ruck - it was SOP for us to only carry geared out rucks for our marching days... and I'm glad we did.

Back