Rucksacks

AWP

SOF Support
Discuss pro's and cons of Military rucksacks. I'm looking for one to be used mainly as a means of carrying gear from one FOB to another. I'm leaning towards the Malice 3 from TT. I can't fathom dropping the dollars for a new Kifaru since it would essentially be tactical luggage to me and not a method for carrying a lot of gear a long way like it once was.

Any experience with the Kelty packs? Anyone know where to look for used gear or good deals on new stuff instead of going straight to the manufacturer? Ebay has been a bust lately, no one wants to get rid of a ruck I guess. LOL

I have the MOLLE and would like a bit more cargo capacity and utility. I'm guessing for the money and my intended usage the Malice 3 is my best choice.

Thoughts? Any dope on rucks would be good if for no other reason than to add a thread on the subject for future users.

E, I had a Kifaru pack I unloaded a while back. They're expensive but the difference between that and the big green tick was like night and day.

Speaking of big green ticks, I just got the OK from my Doc to start weight training again. The first thing I did was load up mine with two bags of kitty litter and go for a "walk". Anyone have some kidney pads laying around?

We are in the process of recieving new Rucks..Lowe alpine saracen

Backpack has a camelbak pouch inside and the outside lid pocket has a zip opening on both sides so you can store long items lengthways. Zippered opening in base for sleeping system and the usual rocket pouches.

Saracen 120lts

Features :
  • APS 5 Adjustable back system
  • Large body with base compartment
  • Two compartment body
  • Zip off side pockets zip together to form a patrol pack
  • Draw cord closure compartment divider
  • Snow sleeve extension with draw cord closer
  • Extendable lid with external and internal lid pockets
  • Side pocket re-enforcing straps
  • Double Base
  • Quick release chest harness
  • Re-enforce hall loops front and back
  • Hydration pocket and covered tube slot
  • New 25mm modular webbing system
  • 24" internal aluminium staves
  • Hook and loop web retainers
Specifications :
  • Pack 120lts including side pockets
  • Weight 4.3 Kg
  • Main material 1000D PU Coated nylon in NATO woodland Camo
Ours will be in Irish DPM.

Looks like a modified PLCE Bergen

Which is what I use and can Highly recommend, Large carrying capacity (125 liters) comfy, side pouches come off and with a supplied harness makes a day pack.

Attachments

• full_size_plce_bergen_rucksack.jpg
    full_size_plce_bergen_rucksack.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 308
  • bergen_fullsize_olive.jpg
    bergen_fullsize_olive.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 283
With some of the newer rucks out there, I wouldn't know where to begin. I always thought the Alice pack worked OK, but I've seen some newer packs that look like they would be easier to haul around, and a little roomier to boot.

Looks like a modified PLCE Bergen

Which is what I use and can Highly recommend, Large carrying capacity (125 liters) comfy, side pouches come off and with a supplied harness makes a day pack.

We have them now until we get the new ones..Were getting issued a day sac also.. lowe Alpine sabre.

the new ones are the mutts nutts according to the lads who have got them issued for deployments..

My present pack..until I get issued the new lowe alpine.

Attachments

• Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 422
E, I had a Kifaru pack I unloaded a while back. They're expensive but the difference between that and the big green tick was like night and day.

Speaking of big green ticks, I just got the OK from my Doc to start weight training again. The first thing I did was load up mine with two bags of kitty litter and go for a "walk". Anyone have some kidney pads laying around?

I think I have a old style kidney PAD laying around

I might take a road trip and come pick it up. The time off would do me some good.

Just let me know what's up. I know my folks are planning on renewing their vows sometime in the future but I'm sure it'll work out.

rick I upgraded my pack with the Eagle industries shoulder and kidney pad. night and day difference.

I own a Kifaru, and personally I think they are overrated. Lowe Alpine, Arcteryx, even the Snugpak Begen will do.

I just got done spending 10 + days travelling FOB-to-FOB and the large ALICE worked well for me. If I was doing some intense patrolling with a heavy pack, I might pick something different (I've got some good ruck burns from ALICE packs), but for FOB hopping, the issue pack worked well.

Back in HS I hiked part of the Appalachian with an Arcteryx pack. I hated it. To each their own I guess.

Back