Running and rucking crossover

Okay, I am going to put this out here.
1. Today I signed up for Goruck TNT. Downloaded the apps.
Question; Anyone else here use this? It seems like a solid program. So am curious about anyone's evaluation of it.
2. This is a big step for me. As I am not normally a very social creature outside of the veteran community.

Thanks for your feedback😀

ETA: I saved the 1000X program and, will start the standard program tomorrow.

I am not sure about their TNT. I have done a handful of Goruck events, a few years ago. Initially they were designed to give civilians just a wee taste of what an A&S might look like, carry heavy things far with a team with a lot of teamwork exercises along the way.

Mtntactical.com has a rucking program as well, as well as a metric crop ton of other fitness programs which are ramped. I have their sandbag and plate carrier / weight vest program.

The Tribe N' Training looks to be a very thought out program. They give you the first month free, $20/month after that. With huge discounts if you buy their equipment. I only need a few sandbags. I will look around for those. I really like the sand filled kettlebells that GR has.

The Tribe N' Training looks to be a very thought out program. They give you the first month free, $20/month after that. With huge discounts if you buy their equipment. I only need a few sandbags. I will look around for those. I really like the sand filled kettlebells that GR has.

I had two of their rucks, the GR1 and the Rucker. To me they were both niche packs, so I just got rid of them. I do have a Gregory SPEAR 3 day ruck that I use with weights, or for other purposes.

I do have two of their sandbags, a 40 lb and an 80 lb. They are first generation. The bags themselves are in good shape still, but the filler bag for the 40 lb has ripped multiple times so I just took it out and filled the big bag with gravel.

I had two of their rucks, the GR1 and the Rucker. To me they were both niche packs, so I just got rid of them. I do have a Gregory SPEAR 3 day ruck that I use with weights, or for other purposes.

I do have two of their sandbags, a 40 lb and an 80 lb. They are first generation. The bags themselves are in good shape still, but the filler bag for the 40 lb has ripped multiple times so I just took it out and filled the big bag with gravel.
Yeah, probably not interested in their equpment. I have an excellent ruck that I use. It has held up to some hard use.
I have a Strapmaster 2000 hiding somewhere. But, seldom use it anymore.
I will find sand bags around somewhere. Or just make them myself. I have lots of time to do that. I am building my own version of "Nasty Nick" here on the property. And, have been adding equipment (logs, tires, sledge hammer) as I go along.

Yeah, probably not interested in their equpment. I have an excellent ruck that I use. It has held up to some hard use.
I have a Strapmaster 2000 hiding somewhere. But, seldom use it anymore.
I will find sand bags around somewhere. Or just make them myself. I have lots of time to do that. I am building my own version of "Nasty Nick" here on the property. And, have been adding equipment (logs, tires, sledge hammer) as I go along.

There are enough places that make sandbags you can find them relatively inexpensively now. Or you can make your own. I did that with a waterproof rucksack liner and duct tape, that worked pretty well for about a year until it just started splitting cuz it always beating the hell out of it.

So in tracking my basal metabolic rate (BMR). It has gotten close to 2500 resting calories burned in a day. Checked my average for a year. It is around 2100 for the year. During the "60 days of summer challenge. My active calories and BMR combined were slightly more than 4000 cals/day.
I have burned around 3600 total calories today.
Not sure if this means anything to anyone. Just putting it out there. Because in the grand scheme it may not mean much.

I am not sure about their TNT. I have done a handful of Goruck events, a few years ago. Initially they were designed to give civilians just a wee taste of what an A&S might look like, carry heavy things far with a team with a lot of teamwork exercises along the way.

Mtntactical.com has a rucking program as well, as well as a metric crop ton of other fitness programs which are ramped. I have their sandbag and plate carrier / weight vest program.

MTNTactical's ruck program is great. It's a lot of abuse on your legs, but luckily the progression is pretty reasonable.

I want to get a sandbag for my workouts, but too bad fitness companies tie that with CrossFit meaning you can charge up the ass for a basic sandbag.

MTNTactical's ruck program is great. It's a lot of abuse on your legs, but luckily the progression is pretty reasonable.

I want to get a sandbag for my workouts, but too bad fitness companies tie that with CrossFit meaning you can charge up the ass for a basic sandbag.
I am going to purchase material to have a local seamstress stitch a couple up. I will post here when they are completed. Then toss them around for a few months to see how they hold up.
Based on what @Devildoc has said has me leery of what the "ruck" programs are peddling🤔

Take an old duffel bag and use rubber mulch for the weight if you don’t want to drop the loot on a company’s bag. That what MTI has done for years.

I am going to purchase material to have a local seamstress stitch a couple up. I will post here when they are completed. Then toss them around for a few months to see how they hold up.
Based on what @Devildoc has said has me leery of what the "ruck" programs are peddling🤔

The gen 1 GR sandbags are solid; it's the liners that are crap.

I agree with esteemed gentleman @RustyShackleford , that's a great option. In my lighter bag I finally threw away the liner and replaced the sand with pea gravel. Rubber mulch is a great option. The trick is find a way to 'seal' the bag in such a way the contents don't come out. But your imagination is the only thing that will limit you with sandbags.

Also, MTI has an 'exercises' tab on its website with a metric shit-ton of SB exercises.

Last edited:
I just got a new issued ruck from Supply. It's the MOLLE 4K. This thing is less than stellar; it's a lot smaller than the Large MOLLE ruck and doesn't have sustainment pouches, just a bunch of small pouches. It's like a cross between a ruck and an assault pack.

This is the one ruck the Ranger School packing list says to not bring; I'd imagine from the looks of it you can't carry 100+ lbs with the new ruck design.

I'll keep messing with it and experimenting with it, but I just dislike how the Army deals with change with gear.

Doubt this is "approved" but, it is a kick ass ruck for general duty use. I added the horizontal compression straps. It is the "Skyalker" RCS (Ranger Carry system) by a company called Akmax. No, it is not an American company. They have a large assortment of very durable packs.
With the added pouches it is a 70 liter pack. During warmer months I take these pouches off. It is very expandable.
This probably doesn't mean much. Just encouraging some alternatives. Have no idea what packs you can take Sir.image.jpgimage.jpg

That's definitely too Gucci to take to RS. I had a Recon Marine Sniper in my class with his standard issue ruck; looked like a Mystery Ranch design but they wouldn't let him use it. The disappointment was visible when he had to draw a tattered Universally Crappy Pattern ruck from CIF.

I'll look into your ruck for back packing; it looks like a quality pack. Thanks for sharing.

That's definitely too Gucci to take to RS. I had a Recon Marine Sniper in my class with his standard issue ruck; looked like a Mystery Ranch design but they wouldn't let him use it. The disappointment was visible when he had to draw a tattered Universally Crappy Pattern ruck from CIF.

I'll look into your ruck for back packing; it looks like a quality pack. Thanks for sharing.
They have very good "upgraded" versions of everything from the Alice to the Molle II and more. Best thing is all their packs are 1000D Cordura Brand nylon with a TPU vinyl coating. You can use drybags. However with the way this thing seals. I have done water crossings with it during some riverine training at Asymmetric Solutions. Absolutely nothing got wet, bone dry.

My 'rucking' ruck which I will also use for overnight weekend trips from time to time is a Gregory SPEAR patrol pack. Love it. Of course, I also have an old school ALICE I use from time to time.

My 'rucking' ruck which I will also use for overnight weekend trips from time to time is a Gregory SPEAR patrol pack. Love it. Of course, I also have an old school ALICE I use from time to time.
Have the entire strapmaster 2000 somewhere around all my stuff. I use it when we go out west; Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California.
I need to dig it up before long for use this winter. It carries 100 plus pounds easy.
Great idea just using the patrol pack off of it. I use it similarly for wandering from any base camp setup.
Had a medium ALICE with LC-2 straps on it, very comfortable. Gave it to my Son and, he loves it.
Thought about training for one those GR 100# mile events down in Jonesboro AR. So I will use the SPEARS ruck to work up to that.

I love this thread😀

If you are in overall great shape then to improve times it is technique. I posted about it years ago. As for rucking you just have to do it. Pack a rucksack with 30-40 lbs and just hike….don’t throw a 30 lbs plate in the ruck, put stuff in it. If you have to put 5 lbs weight in it fine. 30 lbs weight strapped to your back is totally diff then 30 lbs of stuff strapped to your back. Balance, speed and stride is diff. Also train on diff surfaces sand, trail, pavement all are diff.

This is pretty spot on IMO.

Technique and learning balance (read pack and distribute weight) and balance up hill, down hill, staying sure footed without over loading your ankles is key.

Outside of that its building your feet, breaking in your boots and and learning to stretch a stride for speed without compromise of your hips, knees and ankles.

Just this old grunts $.02

This is pretty spot on IMO.

Technique and learning balance (read pack and distribute weight) and balance up hill, down hill, staying sure footed without over loading your ankles is key.

Outside of that its building your feet, breaking in your boots and and learning to stretch a stride for speed without compromise of your hips, knees and ankles.

Just this old grunts $.02

For sure. There is a big difference between rucking for fitness and wrecking for A&S, Ranger, or military endeavor. It's not just the weight. Is the weight plus distribution.

For sure. There is a big difference between rucking for fitness and wrecking for A&S, Ranger, or military endeavor. It's not just the weight. Is the weight plus distribution.

Distribution is huge. I know this is soldiering 101, but I noticed this rucking with my 45 lb GoRuck bag versus a half ass packed 35 lb MOLLE ruck. The GoRuck was way easier to move around.

I have a 30# load of 2 day backcountry hiking stuff in my pack. Light stuff at the bottom, heavier at the top and close to my spine. Have some very broke in boots/shoes and, am doing this for fitness and recovery.
All of the input on this thread is awesome!

Back