Russia looking for a prisoner swap…

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
My initial reaction being, “eh, that’s okay, you keep her.

Reports: Russia wants 'Merchant of Death' in exchange for Brittney Griner

For the first time since Brittney Griner’s arrest almost three months ago, Russia appears to have publicly signaled its asking price for her safe return, if multiple reports by Russian state media are to be believed.

Russia is looking to exchange the WNBA star in a prisoner swap for notorious convicted arms trafficker Viktor Bout, several state-owned Russian news outlets reported Friday, citing unnamed government sources.

Bout, whose exploits earned him the nickname the “Merchant of Death,” flooded fierce conflicts in Africa and the Middle East with weapons, U.S. authorities say. He was arrested during a sting operation in Thailand in 2008, extradited to the U.S. and sentenced to 25 years for conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles and providing aid to a terrorist organization.

ETA:
If you were not aware, and personally I applaud you if that is true, she is sitting in a Russian prison because she tried to take Vape cartridges filled with hashish oil through customs.

The Russians must have a keen appreciation of the power of wokeness in America to convince them this is an even trade. There's no way anybody in their right mind would ever release the likes of Viktor Bout for her. And yet, Black Lives Matter to the point where it just might fly.

PS. This is the woman who wanted the National Anthem banned from WNBA games.

This is satire, right? This is some... Duffel Bee shit or something, right? They want us to give them a war criminal in exchange for... a basketball player? Okay, okay, I'd ship Lebron to the USSR for a bucket of cheese, but this move is hilarious.

Just keep her.

My initial reaction being, “eh, that’s okay, you keep her.

Reports: Russia wants 'Merchant of Death' in exchange for Brittney Griner

For the first time since Brittney Griner’s arrest almost three months ago, Russia appears to have publicly signaled its asking price for her safe return, if multiple reports by Russian state media are to be believed.

Russia is looking to exchange the WNBA star in a prisoner swap for notorious convicted arms trafficker Viktor Bout, several state-owned Russian news outlets reported Friday, citing unnamed government sources.

Bout, whose exploits earned him the nickname the “Merchant of Death,” flooded fierce conflicts in Africa and the Middle East with weapons, U.S. authorities say. He was arrested during a sting operation in Thailand in 2008, extradited to the U.S. and sentenced to 25 years for conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles and providing aid to a terrorist organization.

ETA:
If you were not aware, and personally I applaud you if that is true, she is sitting in a Russian prison because she tried to take Vape cartridges filled with hashish oil through customs.
I am surprised and grateful that the predictable segments of the American public haven't played right into Putin's hands by amplifying any unrest over her confinement.

In my cartoon bubble, I’m choosing to imagine that at some point in the near future, he will wish he was back in American prison. I’m guessing mother Russia will not be gentle when they ask him what he told the Americans.

Probably won’t make a difference to her, but I’d also like to believe that the next time the national anthem plays, her ass will stand at attention instead of kneeling .

Hate because we should have left her blood money seeking ass to rot. She is not worth Viktor Bout...but whatever, clownshoes administration.

In my cartoon bubble, I’m choosing to imagine that at some point in the near future, he will wish he was back in American prison. I’m guessing mother Russia will not be gentle when they ask him what he told the Americans.

Probably won’t make a difference to her, but I’d also like to believe that the next time the national anthem plays, her ass will stand at attention instead of kneeling .

He'll either find a hospital window off the 15th floor or go right back to work. Doubt he told us much otherwise he wouldn't have been in prison.

Last edited:
I'm glad she's home. I don't like our people being held by anyone, for any reason. See also: Bowe Bergdahl.

That said, two days ago we (US) dropped the Keshoggi thing. Now we're giving up the 'merchant of death" for a minor athlete. Seems kind of... unethical. But hey, good thing President Biden runs "the most ethical administration" we've ever seen.

The above snark notwithstanding, I think all governments are, and by rights ought to be, amoral and aethical (is that a word?) when it comes to international affairs. But I think we end up getting hosed in our attempts to bring our people home. It always seems very asymettrical, in that we give up a lot more than we receive. . See also: Bowe Berghdahl.

Last edited:
Back