Russian spy whale found off coast of Norway

Board and Seize

Marine Recon
Verified SOF
Just saw this article about a white whale Norwegian's discovered; they think it was trained by the Russian Navy.

Reminded me of a buddy who's been over at VSW for the past few years, and made me wonder if we have anyone on the board who's worked with Marine Mammals. This is a pretty interesting topic that gets relatively little coverage.

For anyone who's worked with these animals, what stories can you share?

I did not know the Army was involved. Most of the care is done by the National Marine Mammal Foundation.
I doubt they do much of the day to day work anymore like they did in my time, since so much has been contracted, but yes, the Army Vet Corps oversees anything animal and also food inspections. It's akin to the responsibilities the USDA covers for the federal government.

It's a really cool program, I thought about requesting for it, but I got to do other kinda cool stuff.

LL

I doubt they do much of the day to day work anymore like they did in my time, since so much has been contracted, but yes, the Army Vet Corps oversees anything animal and also food inspections. It's akin to the responsibilities the USDA covers for the federal government.

It's a really cool program, I thought about requesting for it, but I got to do other kinda cool stuff.

LL

In Ye Olden Days of Yore when I was on the Left Coast my buddy's GF was a tech with the NMMF and worked with the animals at Point Loma. I recall talking with some of the Navy folks when she'd take us to visit, they said that they weren't sweet animals like Flipper; those animals could be vicious. Apparently most of what they do is classified, but she got us around some of their pens and 'care facilities' (lack of better word). Neat work, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Back