School/Mass shootings are now part of our culture.

In PA we have both charges. A quick look shows they are not related except for the title of the section. Terroristic threats is a commonly laid charge; terrorism is not.

§ 2706. Terroristic threats.
(a) Offense defined.--
A person commits the crime of terroristic threats if the person communicates, either directly or indirectly, a threat to:
(1) commit any crime of violence with intent to terrorize another;
(2) cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly or facility of public transportation; or
(3) otherwise cause serious public inconvenience, or cause terror or serious public inconvenience with reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience

§ 2717. Terrorism.
(a) General rule.--
A person is guilty of terrorism if he commits a violent offense intending to do any of the following:
(1) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population.
(2) Influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.
(3) Affect the conduct of a government

The School Shootings That Weren't

11. That's the total number of incidents in schools in 2015-2016. So I think this begs to question whether or not school shootings are actually part of our culture.

Yes, the numbers are rising. But I'd argue they are only rising because the ass holes doing it see others reported on tv and know they'll get their 10 days of media coverage. If the media stopped reporting, or at least reduced their 24 hour coverage of such instances, the number will come down.

But then the media wouldn't have that sensational story to report. :hmm: What bothers me most is the amount of attention the media gives specifically to the shooter.

Yes, the numbers are rising. But I'd argue they are only rising because the ass holes doing it see others reported on tv and know they'll get their 10 days of media coverage. If the media stopped reporting, or at least reduced their 24 hour coverage of such instances, the number will come down.

I'm an advocate for letting each school shootingn (or mass shooting) be publicized in local news only, with only a mention during national coverage. Keep the perpetrator names OFF THE AIR. If people want to know, need to know, let them go to that city and pay for a copy of whatever court record, police report is available to the public.

As others have said, the 24 news cycle publicity probably plays a big role in this.
I've only seen one source (the news YouTuber Philip Defranco) that makes it a point to never comment on names of perpetrators.
Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire started to follow that practice, but dropped it once that "crazy liberal" woman shot up the YouTube headquarters Building.

School shootings are not part of our culture. Its just a stupid trend that has taken hold because of it's particular emotional shock factor. A 10-20 year observation period is a fart in the wind compared to having schools/education systems in place since the colonial era. A hundred years from now nobody will give a shit about Parkville, the Connecticut shooting, etc.. etc..

Remember when Rock Music - especially Marylin Manson was to blame? People are stupid. We think we know everything.

Wasn’t sure where to put this but…someone‘s been training!
Smooth as fuck, I love seeing him put his coffee down before he gets out of his squad.

@policemedic , I’m assuming you’ve seen this video, but tagging you just in case.
"Tell me you've been in some deployment firefights without telling me you've been in firefights."

That video is the epitome of smooth and controlled.

Back