SEAL trainee dies during drown proofing at BUDS

From that article, I think this quote from a letter he sent home says it all.

'The pool here is so nice,' he told his sister in a letter. 'I love swimming in it. I would say I was one of the most fit guys here.

'I'd rather die than quit, so I know I'm going to make it.'

It is sad, and it is tragic. Intellectually I get that the family needs to attach blame; they think Lovelace could walk on water, not just swim in it. I also know that the military will have the appearance, if not actually doing it, of putting up barriers and roadblocks.

IF the instructor fucked up, then he will get his, in the community, or through other means. IF he was simply maintaining a standard and the death falls under "shit happens," that, too, will sort itself out.

I will say this: the family said he was a good swimmer, they said the Navy claimed he was not a strong swimmer. It's all on a curve; maybe he was better than anyone they knew, but on the left side of the bell curve for BUDS. It's a matter of perspective.

It's a tough course for a reason. Sometimes guys die on tough courses. Recruits die in Marine bootcamp. Soldiers sometimes die in Ranger school. Guys die in Airborne. Guys die in flight training. It happens. Not often, but the risks are there when you're training for war, and BUDS is arguably the toughest...especially for somebody with hidden heart problems.

Last edited:
<UPDATE>

Way the hell out of my lane to offer an informed opinion on the decision- I hope others will though.

SEAL instructor will not face charges in death of recruit | Daily Mail Online

The Navy won't pursue criminal charges against personnel in connection with the death of a SEAL trainee who drowned in May after being repeatedly 'dunked' during a pool exercise, military officials said.

Way out of my lane as well, but I'm assuming this video is in response to that announcement. Was just uploaded today.

Marines have died in the pool before. It's a dangerous environment. That being said, instructors shouldn't be doing any "extra curricular" activities in the pool. I'm not saying that they did, but if they did they exposed the students, and themselves, to unnecessary risk.

Back