SEAL's and Navy Intel personel

bboydevs

Verified Military
I'm currently a Navy CTT and was recommended by my chain of command to DEVGRU. I didn't really know what it was so being the research guy I am I looked it up. It definitely sounds like a community I can be apart of. I was wondering if anyone has served with any Intel guys, and if they were just behind a computer or behind a gun. It'd be an honor either way, but I'm curious about the job. Thank you

Contact the numbers/email I PM'd you and learn as much as you can so when the next guy comes around you can help him out.

You left yourself open to the banter because of a few mistakes. Go for it and good luck.

Every time we get one of these, "behind a gun," questions, it blows my mind like deja vu all over again for the seventy-third time.

The military has infantrymen, operators, SEALs, etc. so the Intel guys can focus on their computers and not on guns.

You want to talk on a radio, use a cutting torch, sit in front of a computer? Be a support guy.

You want your primary focus to be a weapon? You know what to do.

Everyone, everywhere in the military has a weapon assigned to them (not really, but you know what I mean), but only some of them are actually expected to use them.

Last edited:
Radio coms
Then you're behind a radio, not a gun. In most cases, if you have an intel MOS/specialty/rate and you have to use your gun, something has gone horribly wrong. Let the shooters do shooter stuff, and you do your job supporting the shooters. If you're a support guy and you go into a SpecOps unit thinking you're going to be a shooter, you are likely to end up being VERY disappointed.

Oh, and the people you're supporting will probably think you're a schmuck, too.

Here's the deal: you kinda opened yourself up when you start dropping SMUs and being behind stuff.

The reality is there are several CTs on NSA's memorial wall (two T-branchers unfortunately) and the military needs tactical technical Intel types who are willing (or dumb enough) to accompany SOF guys on their "jobs".

As @Marauder06 has written before, quiet professional REALLY REALLY applies to intel guys. You also have to learn to take a ton of shit from team guys as well as your own.

The question was if anyone knew any CTT on that side and what they where doing. I'm not liking the ship community. I like being around highly motivated individuals. I don't need to be behind a gun. I was just looking for a bit of info to why it involves 2 years of training and high physicality. It's 5 year billet.

The question was if anyone knew any CTT on that side and what they where doing. I'm not liking the ship community. I like being around highly motivated individuals. I don't need to be behind a gun. I was just looking for a bit of info to why it involves 2 years of training and high physicality. It's 5 year billet.

Then you're behind a radio, not a gun. In most cases, if you have an intel MOS/specialty/rate and you have to use your gun, something has gone horribly wrong. Let the shooters do shooter stuff, and you do your job supporting the shooters. If you're a support guy and you go into a SpecOps unit thinking you're going to be a shooter, you are likely to end up being VERY disappointed.

Oh, and the people you're supporting will probably think you're a schmuck, too.

Sure did know a CTT on that side. He is smashing brews in Valhalla. I am assuming you want TIO. Get on NAVPERS (I think) and look it up in special assignments under CTs. It will have all you need. Other than this, nobody will tell you much more. Best of luck to you.

Back