Selection of personal sidearms

Entry95

Unverified
I was wondering do operators have an individual choice in sidearms or do they get issued mission specific weapons (M9 pistols or Sig 226)? On my dept we're all issued Glocks except for Team member who are issued Sig 1911's. Now old guys like myself were issued Glock 23's but the new guys (3 yrs and under) are issued Glock 22's. If your a detective or drug unit you may swap your pistol for a Glock 27. How does it work for the operators?

Don't know about other places but, at mine we are issued G22's. Doesn't matter what your assignmets is, you still still issued the same weapon. And its with the NY trigger (approx 8lbs).

We also have the New York trigger in our weapons (which is stupid, that's not the way Gaston Glock designed the gun) but the team carries Sig 1911's with a 5 lbs trigger.

Don't know about other places but, at mine we are issued G22's. Doesn't matter what your assignmets is, you still still issued the same weapon. And its with the NY trigger (approx 8lbs).

Some interesting info on the various Glock triggers. There's even a "NY Plus" I never heard about. It's 62lbs....kidding! :)

"Glock developed two solutions for the police market. For Miami Dade, Glock engineered a heavier 8-lb. (nominal) connector which required some three pounds of additional force during final let-off to fire the gun. For New York, Glock developed the very different “New York” trigger, which left the original 5.5-lb. connector in place but replaced the coiled-steel trigger spring with a polymer leaf-style spring of unique design, altering the entire feel of the trigger, providing more resistance during the initial stage, and adding about three pounds to the overall pull weight. A “New York Plus” spring was also developed which adds about six pounds to the pull weight."

http://www.boatmanbooks.com/samplelwglocks.html

Some operators are outfitted the same way professional athletes are, with regard to gear. Weapons selection would vary depending upon mission requirements.

I think you'll find that SF, and Rangers etc are still issued the M9 Beretta, regardless of internet fodder and wannabee's wishes for exotic pistols of choice.

SEALs generally carry the Sig P226 9mm and some water ops use the S&W 686 .357 Mag. The Mk23 "SOCOM" pistol was used by some teams and not others. It also was a mission specific pistol. Although some support guy's with USASFC apparently have the Mk23 "SOCOM" issued to them. I believe, from a credible source, that the Mk23 was turned into Crane and was then requested by USASFC. Not sure if any SF soldiers on the teams are carrying it or not, but I do know of some SF support that are now supposedly carrying it. Having a .45 ACP caliber weapon in inventory will get a ready supply of .45 caliber ammunition. I do know that some 1911's exist in some armory rooms but are not not Army type classified and most likely are MFP11 type purchases. Again, having a .45 ACP in the inventory will garner more ammuntion.

Most of the police departments around here are carrying the Sig P226 and P229 chambered in .40 Smith.

My department was testing Smith & Wesson M&P's in .40s. I had a chance to fire the pistol and it was great ( bought one in .45 full size). But the powers that wear the stars put the Ki-bosh on the project (they are pure Glock fans).

We used pretty well set-up 1911's.

It is still my favorite, even though superior technology exist (sentimental I guess).

We are issued G17s, 19s or 26s depending on the profile we have, M4s or 416s again depending on the unit assigned, and assorted other items if the need arises. Personal gear is totally up to the individual. I don't tend to wear soft armor, just a plate carrier and a MICH. Also, mag pouches, etc. are up to the individual operator. I don't mind the issue stuff - I'd probably pick a Glock and 416 if it were up to me anyway.

Off duty we can carry what ever we want. I usually carry a 1911 or a Smith&Wesson M&P in .45; I tried to stick with in reason to what I carry on duty because of muscle memory in a gun fight.:2c: (In operation that is - pull and shoot.)

My old department (King County Sheriff's) is issued the Glock 22 as there duty weapon. They can carry their weapon of choice, while off duty, as long as it is .38/9MM or above. They must qualify with their off duty weapon as well.

Our SWAT team, also uses the Glock 22 as well. (This makes me sort of angry, as I had arranged for the team to be issued and carry the SIG 220 in .45 caliber, when I was the unit CO. :mad:)

As for me, I have a lot of choices; however, most of the time I'll be carrying a Glock 27 ,40 Cal. in a butt pack, or a S&W 422 in .38 Cal. in a leather Kramer pocket holster. (Picked mostly for comfort & convenience.)

Q&A on 2 SIGS, Plus locate replacement for stolen gun

I wonder if anyone can provide any feedback on The SIG SP2022, 9mm. I have been eyeing it for a while now, but haven't been able to put my hands on one yet. How is the balance on it-anyone?
Also I have been looking for SIG P228 9mm, but no luck in finding one. Any thoughs on that?
Lastly, it with sad heart that I say this, but I am trying desperately to find a replacement Rossi "Cyclops" .357....as while I was deployed out, my home was broken into and it along with Super Red Hawk was stolen...along with several big screen TV's and Laptops. Dirty rotten no good rat bastards! I can not beleive my baby is gone!
They better hope they get caught before I find them, I won't show any mercy. Point is my Insurance Company is using a National Vendor to try and find the replacement, and have had no luck so far. Here is a pic of it...er them...not S&W .40CAL-I had that with me at the time.
View attachment 6826

If any one can guide me to a replacement I would be very grateful. :2c:

Attachments

• Mylittlefriends close up.jpg
    Mylittlefriends close up.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 118
I wonder if anyone can provide any feedback on The SIG SP2022, 9mm. I have been eyeing it for a while now, but haven't been able to put my hands on one yet. How is the balance on it-anyone?
Also I have been looking for SIG P228 9mm, but no luck in finding one. Any thoughs on that?
Lastly, it with sad heart that I say this, but I am trying desperately to find a replacement Rossi "Cyclops" .357....as while I was deployed out, my home was broken into and it along with Super Red Hawk was stolen...along with several big screen TV's and Laptops. Dirty rotten no good rat bastards! I can not beleive my baby is gone!
They better hope they get caught before I find them, I won't show any mercy. Point is my Insurance Company is using a National Vendor to try and find the replacement, and have had no luck so far. Here is a pic of it...er them...not S&W .40CAL-I had that with me at the time.
View attachment 6826

Buy Glock

Here is a pic of it...er them...not S&W .40CAL-I had that with me at the time.

What ever you get will be better then that SnW Sigma, including the new Snw MnP line, or Glock, or HK, etc. I'm a 1911 guy personally. Lots of good wheel guns out there to replace what you lost, like Snw 686 and other models.

Two, not only have you lost a collection, you now have guns in circulation that may end of killing someone at worst, used in a crime at least.

Personally, I don't think anyone should own guns minus a way to store them securely.* For the fraction of the cost of your collection and lap tops, etc, a good safe** would have prevented that. Or, it would have made it a damn bit harder for them to get the stuff at least. Lap tops, etc could also have been saved....***

Invest in a good "safe" FIRST, then start re stocking your collection.****

* Though I am not in favor of mandatory laws that force it on people.

** Most of what is sold as a "safe" is not BTW, they are RSCs

*** Relying on a safe alone is a mistake. Truly effective home security is layered, and involves properly installed locks, etc, as well as an alarm system, which costs very little these days, especially when you factor in what it costs to replace a collection, etc.

**** Best of the RSCs is the AMSEC BF Series, which properly bolted down, will prevent theft from all but the most experienced and prepared thieves, but the real issue is time. Less for them, the better.

Good advice, Will. I was just pricing the Gun "safes" at Cabellas yesterday (while scope hunting for the -06, and they are NOT that pricey, especially when combined with a "layered" security plan such as you mentioned. Not to mention the "other" stuff you can keep secured in one (besides guns). RangerPsych was mentioning in another post about hiding it behind a "false wall" kind of idea, which is also good if ya can do it.
Mine will be in a Walk in closet, bolted to the concrete floor, behind a locking steel closet door and an alarm system (w/ backup power).
the 12ga and the pistols for momma and myself will be in a dresser with a secret drawer/hidden activation button that I'm designing.
You are exactly right that I couldn't stand the thought of my weapons being stolen and used in crimes.

You are exactly right that I couldn't stand the thought of my weapons being stolen and used in crimes.

Sounds like a plan! Additional comments on safes, RSCs, etc. in this thread:

http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2728&highlight=amsec

Don't fall for shiny fancy looking "safes" that have minimal security. Research the difference between an RSC, a safe, and ratings for safes, and decide what you want to spend, and what it's worth for extra protection and piece of mind in that area.:)

YUP, it's gotta be "crowbar/prybar" proof...and Bolted to the floor.
Also being behind another locked/steel (alarmed) walk-in closet (saferoom) door will help.
As you said Will: "layering, layering, layering!"

Damn it, though..it probably STILL wouldn't stop the Mission Impossible crew.
:eek:

That reminds me..., has anyone seen a source for Kevlar(or equal) Wainscoting?
}:-)

This was not what you think it was. An entire wall of my basement was rammed by a vehicle, then the fire safe chained and pulled out. Fortunately all of my heavy guns are locked up at the Sheriff's Dept, near the range.

This is the 6 type of break in in this area since August, and they have not been able to catch them....but its someone local-we know that-they know us, our habits and our firearms.

Trust me, these guns are not in circulation, and we WILL get them eventually.

But thanks for the solid advice anyhow.

One other notably nasty thing done....this happen during the day, and....they beat the hell out of my Rottweiler-Dokken....there were at least three of them attacking her, as we found metal pipes with her teeth marks on each of them. She fought them back hard, and if I hadn't lost my big girl Dakota earlier this year, at least one of them if not more, may not have made it out in one piece. RIP-Dakota-you are missed.
FYI-Dokken had a fractured scapula, but she is recovering well.

Back