SF & "good old" .45

Ravage

running up that hill
Guys I noticed that recently (on oficial photos) that SFers are not useing the Standard M9 but the .45 1911. Does that mean that the M9 is no longer prefered by SF ? 'Cus normaly I see SEALs using Sigs, SF with M9s, USMC with Spriengfield 1911s (love that gun :D).
Is it because the caliber ?

th_48651.jpg

HIRES
A U.S. Army Special Forces Soldier and an 8th Iraqi Army special forces soldier watch for Jaysh al-Mahdi (JAM) militia movement during Operation Jackal in Diwaniyah, Iraq, June 3.

Looks like a .45 to me.

the Colt 1911a1 has a pistol grip safety, which I don't see on the pic. The M9 Has a lanyard ring just rear of the magazine housing, and I don't think the issued .45 has a lanyard ring at all. The ones that do have the lanyard ring, the hole is turned the other way... so that the O is left to right, not front to rear.
I would say that the weapon in question is a M9 and not a 1911.

Looking at the handgrips I thought it was some kind of Sig. However, given what I've seen people carry in Iraq, it could be anything...

Looking at the handgrips I thought it was some kind of Sig. However, given what I've seen people carry in Iraq, it could be anything...

again, on the 226 there is no lanyard ring, it's more of an indent.... And correct me if I'm wrong but only NSW have the sig in the US right?

Looking at it again, I do think it's an M9 given the lanyard ring and the curvature of the part that protrudes from the top of the lower receiver (nomenclature??). It looks like they put some kind of funky grips on it, not uncommon at all.

Edit: Pete beat me to it. I think the Sig is pretty common throughout the SOF community.

Looking at it again, I do think it's an M9 given the lanyard ring and the curvature of the part that protrudes from the top of the lower receiver (nomenclature??). It looks like they put some kind of funky grips on it, not uncommon at all.

Yeah, it must be an M9.....
Thats what I meant Ravage... Referring to Naval Special Warfare.

M9 or otherwise, it is a Beretta none the less. Looks like with simple aftermarket Hogue grips.

Guys I noticed that recently (on oficial photos) that SFers are not useing the Standard M9 but the .45 1911. Does that mean that the M9 is no longer prefered by SF ? 'Cus normaly I see SEALs using Sigs, SF with M9s, USMC with Spriengfield 1911s (love that gun :D).
Is it because the caliber ?

I suspect it's both. Given a choice, almost all the high level shooters I know, and or have spoken with in SOF or tactical LEO, will take a good 1911 over any other handgun. Not being in SOF however, I can't speak to anything beyond that. However, a well known expression i keep hearing is "there are two kinds of people in Iraq, those who have a 1911 and those who want one." Not sure how true that is....

The only people I know that like the 1911, are the old timers who were around when it was the only thing issued

A 1911 requires too much maintanance to be able to be remotely reliable. .45 is a good round, but the 1911 was state of the art.... in 1911.

A HK, Sig, or Glock is not only a replacement, but an improvement. The Beretta M9 is...well...it's a big heavy pistol that is adequate in few respects.

I love my 1911 but I agree with the above. It needs some work to be tuned just right.

A 1911 requires too much maintanance to be able to be remotely reliable. .45 is a good round, but the 1911 was state of the art.... in 1911.

I could not agree with you less. Simply not true.

A HK, Sig, or Glock is not only a replacement, but an improvement. The Beretta M9 is...well...it's a big heavy pistol that is adequate in few respects.

Ditto to above comments, but that's what makes horse racing I guess. ;)

Back