Sharia Law Coming To Libya

It will be our business.

I am skeptical of spontaneous uprisings for "liberty" that just happened to pop up in all these different countries, all at the same time, after decades of the status quo.

Take inventory:
Libya
Egypt
Tunisia

Also, uprisings in Oman, Morocco, Jordan, Iraq Algeria and Yemen. There were also lesser, copycat uprisings in Sudan, the Western Sahara, Mauritania, Lebanon, and Kuwait.

Sure, if you look at Libya in a vacuum, or on a textbook page, it might sound like a spontaneous uprising. But if you take the regions on a whole- especially formerly stable nations like Egypt, Tunisia, .

I think you need to study the history of the region a little.

Why don't you fill me in what you are referring to? I like to think I'm vaguely familiar with the region and its history.

The Arab Spring was spontaneous and not the work of anything more than frustration. With the space available it's not possible to give a complete précis historically country by country. Suffice to say that the Arab world was ruled by the Ottoman Empire from 1516 to 1830 when the imperial powers took over, 1830 to 1948. This comprised England, France, Italy and to ainor degree Spain. The US has been more of an observer with little presence compared to the European countries. So it's plain to see that for over 400 years they have been ruled by others. Nationalism & religion has waxed and waned over this time and these influences have shaped the path to see the way clear of this.
My first impression of the uprising was rhat nothing much will change and to a certain extent this is true with limited reforms in most of the countries where demonstrations occurred. Lybia looks to be different with genuine change taking place. They are ridding themselves of a despot and deserve to be encouraged to get on their feet to create something better.

QC as you know I am trying to learn but this is a tough place to understand. I thought spontaneous uprisings were all funded and lead by guys wearing Hawaian shirts and khaki pants with big bank accounts in the local economy. Has it changed? Our Guys and Girls out of Langley started every spontanious uprising while funding them and my Dad always said if you lay with Dogs you get Fleas and that is where we are at right now in my opinion. Any help in understanding would be appreciated from all.
Bill

Thanks, QC.

I see things from a radically different perspective, and I put far less stock into the historical connection than you do. Of course history is a factor in how these nations arrived at their current states, but there are some very specific, very clear factors to these events that absolutely do not fit with any "spontaneous" eruption of demands for liberation.

I'll cite some specific examples when I have time. And again, the only reason it matters to me is because I'm not convinced "Hawaiian shirts" have much to do with it all. To me, it appears contrived, forced and cultivated in part, by NGO's, privately wealthy individuals, and a few people who are very experienced in this sort of thing. The people I'm thinking of like to find boils in the world, and then they come along and lance them when the time is right.

Cheers guys, just to stay on topic, a young Tunisian named Mohammed Bouazizi started the whole thing. He was, I believe, selling oranges without a permit. The cops gave him a hard time and he was at the end of his tether, so much so that he doused himself with gasoline and set fire to himself. This is what started it and within days President Zine el Abadine bin Ali had fled the country. The uprising spread to Egypt and then elsewhere.

I bet that license wasn't looking so hard to obtain about 30 seconds post ignition.

So a Tunisian orange seller and a can of gasoline walk into a bar...

Too soon? :D

We never had better middle east relations then after Desert Storm when we went in and freed Kuwait and then left the situation for the most part just as quickly. Why shouldn't we expected a similar reaction from what went on in Libya?

Like QC already stated the whole uprising has been a reputation of what Osama an AQ has been preaching.

For a very small price we have gotten rid of a man and regime that actively attacked and killed American civilians and military members.

Even worse case scenario and Libyan's decide to attack us some where down the road. It is no worse then what we had with the old regime.

It's not like Egypt where our relationship with the leadership was great but he treated his people like shit. We had horrible relations with Libya and he treated his people like shit. We aren't losing anything getting rid of Momar.

A little blast from the past...

Remember when those of us who predicted that the Arab Spring would result in Islamic Radicals co-opting the movement were labeled "fearmongers"?

As I read this thread from 2011, I'm reminded of the way labeling, or "branding" was used to silence opposition to this ludicrous endeavor. Branding was used with great success repeatedly by Progressive Liberals during this time.

I am not criticizing the "support" for ME reform. I am critical of those who underestimate the threat of Islamic radicals, or their very real intent to attempt to co-opt what is happening. I'm also critical of the attempt to create new labels, such as "fearmonger", and the like.

The biggest and loudest mouths screaming "fearmonger" would be the first forcibly silenced by those they defend if they ever managed to get into power.

It will be our business.

I am skeptical of spontaneous uprisings for "liberty" that just happened to pop up in all these different countries, all at the same time, after decades of the status quo.

Take inventory:
Libya
Egypt
Tunisia

Also, uprisings in Oman, Morocco, Jordan, Iraq Algeria and Yemen. There were also lesser, copycat uprisings in Sudan, the Western Sahara, Mauritania, Lebanon, and Kuwait.

Sure, if you look at Libya in a vacuum, or on a textbook page, it might sound like a spontaneous uprising. But if you take the regions on a whole- especially formerly stable nations like Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan, and even Lebanon- then it seems to me more is at work. I would like to be sure that those organizing influences have friendly intent, and that they are fortified against co-opting.

Back