Shopping for Optics...

AWP

SOF Support
...sucks.

The beauty is that I'm learning a ton, but holy cow is skydiving so much easier than firearms from a learning standpoint.

"3 gun looks like a blast, I have to play this game"

Idiot.

I hear you, I'm having a hard time working it all out.

Leaning towards an ACOG type at the moment...

...sucks.

The beauty is that I'm learning a ton, but holy cow is skydiving so much easier than firearms from a learning standpoint.

"3 gun looks like a blast, I have to play this game"

Idiot.

No kidding there are so many choices and lots of really good choices too... so which one? Then factor in the range of prices. I have never figured it out. At least in one respect it is better than skydiving. With optics, you can walk away from a bad jump, maybe a little more poorer, by OK.

Use irons and your problem is solved....lol

ACOG is great for "combat" but I would not use one in 3 gun, or some of the tactical carbine matches I shoot.

I would make a list of what you want:

Price range
Distance of use (0-50/0-100/0-300/0-500 yards)
Ammo you plan to use
Weapon platform
Faster or more accurate

I use a Mil-Spec AR 15 with an EoTech 511 with 50yd zero for 3 gun......POA/POI is pretty flat out 250yd and the center dot in 1MOA and making A's/0's has not been a problem with good ammo.

I narrowed down to a type based on the division I plan to shoot in, so a 1-4 ish power scope is great.

Do you have any freaking idea how many 1-4ish power scopes are out there? Reticle choices, price, who makes good glass, who doesn't, who has good customer service, who doesn't, Mil-dot or MOA.....

And then once you finally decide on the glass you need a mount for it which is a whole other series of choices.

The best part is that it isn't uncommon to have an optic which costs more than the rifle it is mounted on.

I've finally figured it all out for my own uses, but damn....that's only taken a few months of research and I still have to work on Mil-dot calculations for hold overs and range estimation.

Just throwing one onto your pile:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=338333

Shot one on a friend's AR a few weeks back and liked it so much that I bought one myself. The BDC reticle worked well out to 400m, and for 1/4 the price of the ACOG I originally had in mind, it was pretty hard to beat.

Don't know much about 3-gun matches, your budget, quality expectations (I'm by no means a glass connoisseur), but figured it was worth a mention.

I narrowed down to a type based on the division I plan to shoot in, so a 1-4 ish power scope is great.

Do you have any freaking idea how many 1-4ish power scopes are out there? Reticle choices, price, who makes good glass, who doesn't, who has good customer service, who doesn't, Mil-dot or MOA.....

And then once you finally decide on the glass you need a mount for it which is a whole other series of choices.

The best part is that it isn't uncommon to have an optic which costs more than the rifle it is mounted on.

I've finally figured it all out for my own uses, but damn....that's only taken a few months of research and I still have to work on Mil-dot calculations for hold overs and range estimation.

Are you going to shoot open class?

Negative. I don't have a 1-4... I have a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint... which does come in a mil dot reticle, tritium and fiber optic powered, 2.5 is cake for CQM style shit. I personally like it considering my AR's a pseudo-SPR style build anyway. I'll be replacing the Leupold on the 7 mag with the high magnification variant they make, and when finances allow the upgrading to 7.62 for primary rifles for the family, they'll be topped with this same scope.

2011-02-10 14.43.50.jpg

I stand corrected, thanks RP.

Well Free dare I say it S&B short dot maybe? I know there bigger scopes are sexual, never used the 1-4 myself though.

Back