Shotguns....

Polar Bear

They call me Mr Sunshine
Verified Military
I am an idiot when it comes to shotguns. I am looking for something I can build into a "Zombie Gun". I have looked at the Mossberg 930 SPX http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32&section=products but I have read a lot about there QC issues on sights. I have been looking at Remington's but need to know if I can build it. As in change the front and rear sight or add a rear sight...Ghost Ring. FF has already given me a great site to get tube extenders and since I am a large guy a 28 inch barrel does not mean shit besides maybe making a 10 + 1 shotgun. The other worry is ammo. Can you use buck shot plus slugs at the same time without changing the barrel????

Any input would be great

PB, I would change out most factory sights on almost any gun out there. Yes, you can use the same barrel for shot as well as slugs. I don't know if there are special caveats though like barrel life or if you're restricted to certain kinds of slugs.

Our needs are different, but I'm buying a 930 next spring.

QC and sights........... Some how in my mind those two do not go together. Point Shooting FTW.
Sights have a way of taking a person's wide vision to being myopic.

For QC, I would think more about over all length.

I have several shotgun. My 590 is not like the one they make today. I am not sure about the pistol grip, never used one.

Unless the barrel has a choke, I don't know of any problems with using slugs or shot. Even some of the barrels that are designed for slugs, shot is ok.

PB, I would change out most factory sights on almost any gun out there. Yes, you can use the same barrel for shot as well as slugs. I don't know if there are special caveats though like barrel life or if you're restricted to certain kinds of slugs.

Our needs are different, but I'm buying a 930 next spring.
Have you googled the 930? I was dead set on it but am having second thoughts. Being as big as I am I started thinking about a longer barrel with the longer extension tube.

QC and sights........... Some how in my mind those two do not go together. Point Shooting FTW.
Sights have a way of taking a person's wide vision to being myopic.

For QC, I would think more about over all length.

I have several shotgun. My 590 is not like the one they make today. I am not sure about the pistol grip, never used one.

Unless the barrel has a choke, I don't know of any problems with using slugs or shot. Even some of the barrels that are designed for slugs, shot is ok.

Front sight bent.....a lot of them

When I took delivery of my new Mossberg 930SPX everything looked good, but there is only so much you can tell until you have a chance to actually use it. After wasting about $30 worth of Federal Truball rifles slug ammo trying to get the sights zeroed, I determined that the front sight post was not centered at the factory because I had the rear aperture all the way to the left and it still needed more adjustment to get on target.

An online search will reveal that I'm not the only one who has had this problem. So, I email Mossberg and after 3 days of no response, I call their customer service number. Now, I read another member here did the same thing and they fedexed him a new barrel right away without even waiting for the old barrel in return. However, they told me I would have to send my barrel in to their service center, which actually seems to be part of their Maverick operation in Eagle Pass, Texas. So add $10 shipping to the $30 wasted ammo trying to zero a gun with a factory defect front sight.

I checked on the delivery of my barrel and according to the tracking number Mossberg/Maverick received it April 15, 2009. I move on to other concerns in my life and a month later Mossberg finally replies to my initial email about the barrel. The email dated May 16, 2009 says, "Please contact us and we will replace the barrel." Well, that reminded me to call them and check on the status of my returned barrel. The fella who I spoke to asks my name and looks it up, and tells me that my barrel will ship out to me Thurs May 21, 2009.

OK, I'm not happy about the month long wait, but at least it looks like there is an end in sight. It is now a week after the promised ship date and no barrel has arrived. I called the Mossberg/Maverick service center again, they ask my name and look it up again. They tell me those barrels are back-ordered. No kidding. I tell the fella about the promise that mine would ship a week ago, he puts me on hold to check on that. He comes back and starts telling me that they are doing a "safety check" on my barrel and that the front sight was not centered when it was welded on. I know the front sight is not centered but the "safety-check" business sounds like a stall tactic.

So, I ask, "When can I expect my replacement barrel will ship?" The answer, "Maybe in a week or two."

I didn't rush to the internet to start venting about a manufacturer without giving them a chance to make it right. First of all, it is wrong that I'm out $40 in ammo and shipping because they delivered a product to market with a defect. Second, it is wrong that it should take 6 weeks or more to replace a defective part. And the folks who answer the phones at customer service should give accurate information and answers.

This experience has me very disappointed in Mossberg.

I have noticed that this sighting system including the winged fiber optic front sight and the LPA rear sight on a picatinny rail is now appearing on several other Mossberg offerings including 500 and 590 SPX models. I would be wary of those until certain that Mossberg has corrected this production problem.

Read more:

and I read tons of crap like this

Have you googled the 930? I was dead set on it but am having second thoughts. Being as big as I am I started thinking about a longer barrel with the longer extension tube.

The competition gun forums I browse have nothing negative to say about the 930, I haven't heard of the sight issue. For auto-loaders Berettas and Remingtons seem to be well regarded. FN's shotgun is supposedly great out of the box, but doesn't respond well to alterations. I can't recall any comments on Winchesters.

If Mossberg wasn't producing a competition version of the 930 (I think they are waiting until SHOT to release it) I would buy a Remington and have it worked on. Berettas are great but I am not spending that coin. Again, my needs differ drastically from yours.

The competition gun forums I browse have nothing negative to say about the 930, I haven't heard of the sight issue. For auto-loaders Berettas and Remingtons seem to be well regarded. FN's shotgun is supposedly great out of the box, but doesn't respond well to alterations. I can't recall any comments on Winchesters.

If Mossberg wasn't producing a competition version of the 930 (I think they are waiting until SHOT to release it) I would buy a Remington and have it worked on. Berettas are great but I am not spending that coin. Again, my needs differ drastically from yours.
I love Benelli but and going to spend that much coin either. You where the one that told me about Mossberg. I was bore one day and started doing more research.

I have yet to be disappointed by Benelli. I've got a Nova and an M3, and would gladly recommend both. Very smooth recoil, and I'm not a big guy.

Not a fan of kel tec anything....How much does the SRM cost?
Neither am I. I hadn't even heard of their shotgun until a few days ago, a lot of customers have been looking for them. I looked them up and they look like they may be zombie worthy. I'd have to test one out first though haha.

The SRM's have a pretty big price tag on them at just shy of $2000 if I remember correctly. We sell those cylinders at $200 a pop which is crazy. Good thing the shotgun comes with 3. If you wanted to buy one though let me know haha.

I've had some feeding issues with the Benelli while in the military. We were shooting hinges and it may have had something to do with shooting something so close to the muzzle that the gases weren't being properly expelled, not sure. Never had troubles with the Mossburgs pumps though.

Thats a lot of coin
Agreed. Not sure what the employee discount is on them yet. I'm guessing we'll get around $400 off if any of us decide to pick one up. I have a long list of other items to purchase first though.

Neither am I. I hadn't even heard of their shotgun until a few days ago, a lot of customers have been looking for them. I looked them up and they look like they may be zombie worthy. I'd have to test one out first though haha.

The SRM's have a pretty big price tag on them at just shy of $2000 if I remember correctly. We sell those cylinders at $200 a pop which is crazy. Good thing the shotgun comes with 3. If you wanted to buy one though let me know haha.

Tell me what Remington that is autoloading and I can change the front sight out and use a ghost ring for the rear sight.

Thats a lot of coin
Yeah. :sick:

I actually got mine used for half of what it's going for. Being able to switch between semi and pump on the M3 is awesome, though, and worth it IMO. I've beat it up quite a bit throughout hunting, and it has yet to give me issues.

Back