Should I go enlisted or officer?

CAP Trevor

CCT Officer Wannabe
Unverified
I've heard that CCT officers rarely get to lead a team of operators into combat and training unless they were all AFSOC, so I was wondering, should I go officer or enlisted.

I really want to become an officer, but I don't want it to go to waste and end up no different than an enlisted in training and combat.

I would like to find out what benefits does officers have.

BTW I don't want to end up training people or sitting behind a desk when I become CCT. I will be willing to do that in my 40s but not in my 20s and early 30s.

So please reply and let me know what an officer gets in CCT. Thank you!

I've heard that CCT officers rarely get to lead a team of operators into combat and training unless they were all AFSOC, so I was wondering, should I go officer or enlisted.

I really want to become an officer, but I don't want it to go to waste and end up no different than an enlisted in training and combat.

I would like to find out what benefits does officers have.

BTW I don't want to end up training people or sitting behind a desk when I become CCT. I will be willing to do that in my 40s but not in my 20s and early 30s.

So please reply and let me know what an officer gets in CCT. Thank you!

Your assignment is to research what the roles and responsibbilities of each member of a CC Team does and whether there is always an officer attached. What other services are supported, when? and why?

If you want to join any SOF unit you must be self sufficient. If you want to be an officer in any SOF unit, you have to be doubly proficent, self sufficent and in getting your team to accept your leadership.

"Tell me what I should do" is not going to cut it. YOU need to know what you are going to do. "I've heard that..." is a fallacious statement not based in anything but conjecture and is probably BS -where did you hear it and what is the veracity of your source?

Sight, fix and acquire your 25 meter targets in order of importance.

Move out and draw fire. Go do PT.

You asked - and you've been answered. whatcha gonna do PL?

i thought to myself, "Self," i thought, "i am going to be here for a fucking hour lyrically bitch slapping this dude". Then i read XSF's post, and, as usual, found no need for pile on. No need, mind you, but i will still add my .65 (thats pence, not cents.)

From whom have you heard? Surely not from an actual STO, which is the proper nomenclature for a Special Tactics Officer. (and stop calling me Shirley). And what exactly do you mean "lead a team"? Do you mean old Vietnam style, rallying the men, "lets take that hill boys!!!!" bullshit? Officers, by definition and action, ARE leaders, and DO lead teams. Maybe not in the way that you want or think you want to lead, but that speaks nothing for the officers, and only for your misunderstanding.

On a side note, I take offense to your opinion that, if you were to become a STO that doesnt go into combat, you would be a "waste to end up like an enlisted in training and combat." My gift to you will be to ignore that comment from the enlisted NCO operator side, and not show any of the STO's I work with/for. You are welcome. My young friend, you could only hope to be so lucky some day, so keep your misconceptions and ill-begotten nuggets of insight to yourself till you get your beret. End of lecture.

i echo SF med- do your homework, get serious about your information, tap, rack, re-asses.

And feel free to email me with any questions. Really.

Do what the Troll says - much as I hate to say it.......

And what amlove said is spot on!

You have no idea what you think you're about to get into. Ni la puta idea! Don't be scared.....we'll answer your questions - truthfully, whether you like the answer or not.

But don't come like cabbage - all head and no ass.

Ok I will take what you tell me. I'm sorry for saying things poorly. I didn't mean some of the stuff I said like wasting my effort and things like that. Also, the person I heard these things from is an 82nd airborne friend of mine who was telling me what he see’s STOs doing in the training at his base. I'm starting to get into the process of applying for the academy and I was wondering what STOs get more out of CCT than enlisted. If there isn't much difference, then I will probably just go in as enlisted. I understand proper leadership. I've learned it throughout my cadet program. Leading is not just telling people what to do, its supervising, training, watching, and taking care of them. I know I can make it through both the academy and through the pipeline, but I want to make sure that STO is right for me.

Well thank you guys and I will do more research before post for now on, I will become more self-sufficient, and I will focus on high school.

At least you are heading the info. on here. Don't take it personally. These EXPERIENCED people are just trying to steer you in the right direction. By the way, tell this "friend from the 82nd." that he is not portraying the proper attitude of a Paratrooper by giving inacurate info on a subject he may not know fully about. Just my :2c:

F.M.

Ok I will take what you tell me. I'm sorry for saying things poorly. I didn't mean some of the stuff I said like wasting my effort and things like that. Also, the person I heard these things from is an 82nd airborne friend of mine who was telling me what he see’s STOs doing in the training at his base. I'm starting to get into the process of applying for the academy and I was wondering what STOs get more out of CCT than enlisted. If there isn't much difference, then I will probably just go in as enlisted. I understand proper leadership. I've learned it throughout my cadet program. Leading is not just telling people what to do, its supervising, training, watching, and taking care of them. I know I can make it through both the academy and through the pipeline, but I want to make sure that STO is right for me...

My father used to tell me, "son, when you find yourself in a hole it would be best to stop digging." You may want to consider the wisdom of that statement and learn to apply it.

That being said, dont pull the tired line, "I didnt mean what I wrote." We know better than to not believe you meant exactly what you said, albeit based on a severe lack of understanding of STO's. If you didnt you wouldnt have said it. And with that, you would do well to accept that you screwed up; admit you did so; apologize for your lack of situational awareness and ignorance; take your lumps; and learn from the experience. You are going to go nowhere fast in the military, especially in SOF, if you fail to accept when you have screwed up. This isnt the last time you will be called out for stepping on your dick...

As for your source of info, would you take advice from him on cardiac bypass surgery if he told you he watch one on discovery channel? Of course you wouldnt, or so we would hope... Then why are you basing your knowledge of STO's on someone who hasnt a real understanding of them himself?

Now go do PT or study some of your schooling...

Ok ya I screwed up. I'm sorry and I'm willing to take the flame that I disserve. Now I know the community and the community knows me, I will be more careful on my posts and research. I won't accept information from someone who doesn’t know what he's talking about. I will make sure my information comes from a real source like a CCT or an AFM. Now I will say this, at the time of posting I did mean waste because I would have spent 4 years of pain to earn something that made me hardly any different than not even going through those 4 years.

I'm not mad at anyone; I'm just trying to fix what I screwed up. This could have been avoided if I had been more careful with what I said. If you don't want to help me with my choices, its ok, please just ignore and move on.

Once again I'm sorry, please forgive me

That being said, dont pull the tired line, "I didnt mean what I wrote." We know better than to not believe you meant exactly what you said, albeit based on a severe lack of understanding of STO's. If you didnt you wouldnt have said it. And with that, you would do well to accept that you screwed up; admit you did so; apologize for your lack of situational awareness and ignorance; take your lumps; and learn from the experience. You are going to go nowhere fast in the military, especially in SOF, if you fail to accept when you have screwed up. This isnt the last time you will be called out for stepping on your dick...

x2. That was one of the first things drummed into us as recruits, we were always told not to say sorry, we meant to do what we did, other wise we wouldn't have done it, own up, cop it on the chin and don't do it again was the order of the day.

x2. That was one of the first things drummed into us as recruits, we were always told not to say sorry, we meant to do what we did, other wise we wouldn't have done it, own up, cop it on the chin and don't do it again was the order of the day.

Same, same.

"Don't tell me you are sorry, tell me you fucked up and wont do it again!"

Sheesh. Yea, just a word to the wise on this one- less is more. Quiet professional is the term used most often. So more of that and less bravado.

"Better to be quiet and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Not to mention the fact that you need a Bachelor degree in something useful before you can even "CONSIDER" being an Officer of any kind. But in the SOF arena you better be a whole lot more than that!

So get your schooling first, then decide!

You also need to learn how to lead, either as an NCO or an Officer. No one will ever respect you because you think they should or because of the rank! You have to earn it! Then once you do earn their respect, forget that you did and do it all over again!

I screwed up and I won't do it again. From the stuff I've learned in this forum and the research I've done, I will be applying for the AF academy and I will go for STO. Now I know some words and phrases that won't cut in the military. Thanks for the help and lesson.

I screwed up and I won't do it again. From the stuff I've learned in this forum and the research I've done, I will be applying for the AF academy and I will go for STO. Now I know some words and phrases that won't cut in the military. Thanks for the help and lesson.

Good man. ;)

Make sure you have 4.0 average and also you will need a Congressional Sponsor to work with! I did it thru the back door. I went enlisted first and then applied for the AF Academy and got in! There are like 70 or 80 slots a year for prior service members in the AF Academy.

Make sure you go for the jump training there and the try and get on the Jump Team. It will help with your STO application/package.

Good Luck!!

good on you.

now to the fun stuff. If you arent hip to crossfit, get yourself that way. I can speak from expierence here- any STO/CRO (combat rescue officer) PJ or Controller that is generally regarded as a "good dude" or "pt beast" does some sort of crossfit workouts. Either that, or theyre just genetically gifted freaks. If you arent one, be the other, you dig?

But Steeda is dead on- the process starts now, so get your shit together.

good luck.

Back