SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320

Dame

PSA:
SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol

P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards;
performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.

Newington, NH (August 8, 2017) – The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker-fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.

Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.

As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.

The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.

“SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”

For more information on SIG SAUER, please visit us at sigsauer.com.

Follow SIG SAUER on social media, including Facebook at facebook.com/sigsauerinc, Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/sigsauerinc/, and YouTube at youtube.com/user/sigsauerinc.

SIG SAUER, Inc.

SIG SAUER, Inc. is The Complete Systems Provider™, leading the industry in American innovation, ingenuity, and manufacturing. SIG SAUER® brings a dedication to superior quality, ultimate reliability, and unmatched performance that has made it the brand of choice among many of the world’s elite military, government and law enforcement units as well as responsible citizens. SIG SAUER offers a full array of products to meet any mission parameter, including handguns, rifles, ammunition, electro-optics, suppressors, ASP (Advanced Sport Pellet) airguns and training. The largest member of a worldwide business group of firearms manufacturers that includes SIG SAUER GmbH & Co. KG in Germany and Swiss Arms AG in Switzerland, SIG SAUER is an ISO 9001: 2008 certified company with more than 1,600 employees. For more information on SIG SAUER, any of its products, or the SIG SAUER AcademySM, please visit on to sigsauer.com.

Details are forthcoming (Sig gave a date of Monday, August 14th), but Sig is issuing a "voluntary upgrade" (can't call it a recall) of the P320.

The Cliff Notes version is that if dropped on the back of the slide on a sufficiently hard surface, the P320 will discharge (without the trigger being pulled).

The video below does a pretty good job of explaining what the issue is, and does so in a fairly straightforward, non-dramatic manner.

SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol | Sig Sauer

SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol
Published Date: 08/08/2017

P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards; performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.

Newington, NH (August 8, 2017) – The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker-fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.

Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.

As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.

The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.

“SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”

For more information on SIG SAUER, please visit us at sigsauer.com

PR Contact:
Jordan Hunter
SIG SAUER, Inc.
603-610-3293
jordan.hunter@sigsauer.com

Follow SIG SAUER on social media, including Facebook at facebook.com/sigsauerinc, Instagram at instagram.com/sigsauerinc, and YouTube at youtube.com/user/sigsauerinc.

SIG SAUER, Inc.
SIG SAUER, Inc. is The Complete Systems Provider™, leading the industry in American innovation, ingenuity, and manufacturing. SIG SAUER® brings a dedication to superior quality, ultimate reliability, and unmatched performance that has made it the brand of choice among many of the world’s elite military, government and law enforcement units as well as responsible citizens. SIG SAUER offers a full array of products to meet any mission parameter, including handguns, rifles, ammunition, electro-optics, suppressors, ASP (Advanced Sport Pellet) airguns and training. The largest member of a worldwide business group of firearms manufacturers that includes SIG SAUER GmbH & Co. KG in Germany and Swiss Arms AG in Switzerland, SIG SAUER is an ISO 9001: 2008 certified company with more than 1,600 employees. For more information on SIG SAUER, any of its products, or the SIG SAUER Academy®, go to sigsauer.com.

The angle in which the piece is likely to discharge, rear of slide down, is also the angle that's most likely to blow your junk off. 8-)

Last edited:
Love my P320 RX but I don't want to earn the nickname Cheese from 8 mile either. Also curious what the procedure for the "upgrade" is gonna be.

I'm assuming the external safety prevents this (as long as the safety is engaged)?

Good question, if I'm not mistaken these firearms don't have the safe- fire and rely on trigger system safety similar to Glock.

However the M17 MHS US Army issue firearm is not affected by the recall. Not sure if the trigger has beefier springs to counter this. All According to the statement posted by Dame.

P320 Voluntary Upgrade Program | Sig Sauer

Sig's Monday update

SIG SAUER is offering a voluntary program for P320 pistols. This will include an alternate design that reduces the physical weight of the trigger, sear, and striker while additionally adding a mechanical disconnector.

3 Steps To Upgrading Your SIG SAUER P320 Pistol
  1. Have your P320 serial number and home address available.
  2. Fill out the Voluntary Upgrade Sign-Up Form for each P320 you have.
  3. SIG SAUER will contact you regarding the best method for you to get your P320 pistol to them.
Once SIG SAUER receives your P320 pistol, they will apply the upgrades, test it, and then return it to you free of charge.

If you run into any issues, please call Customer Service and they will help you through the process. Customer Service can be reached at (603)610-3000 Option 1, from Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m. EST.

I wonder if Sig will be all "we meet the drop test requirements" when they get sued for some dude being accidentally shot from a dropped p320.

I saw a guy online banging on the back slide with a gunsmith hammer and made it go off. The amount that times I've had a sidearm snag on shit, more than a few times harder than dude and his hammer.

Ummm, yeah, me thinks much less of Sig now than I ever have, and I've never thought highly of them.

I wonder if Sig will be all "we meet the drop test requirements" when they get sued for some dude being accidentally shot from a dropped p320.

I've always been wary of striker pistols for this reason. During the summer I carry my S&W Shield, now I am obsessed with getting online to see if they have had any drop issues.

VERY surprised this happened with Sig though.

Bruce Grey of GreyGuns is a member of the other forum I post on and he's been participating (and getting pounded by some) in a similar thread. It's 50+ pages of some pretty knowledgeable dudes really taking Sig to task.

I've always been wary of striker pistols for this reason. During the summer I carry my S&W Shield, now I am obsessed with getting online to see if they have had any drop issues.

VERY surprised this happened with Sig though.

Bruce Grey of GreyGuns is a member of the other forum I post on and he's been participating (and getting pounded by some) in a similar thread. It's 50+ pages of some pretty knowledgeable dudes really taking Sig to task.

Sig has always been held in high regards, mainly due to the P228 and P226. I do not share nor have I ever shared that feeling.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with striker fired guns, and I'm not aware of any high end manufacturer that has had a repeatable malfunction of this nature.

I know everyone has their favorites, I get it. But I think a lot of people allow that to play a biased into their review and recommendations process. That's pretty unfortunate. I'm probably one of the biggest Glock guys out there, when the G17 gen 4 was fucked up I stated it. When I got a hold of the M&P9 and seen the accuracy issues I called it out, even though I think it's a more comfortable pistol than Glock. When the XDM had the roll pin issue with the extractor I called that out. I'm just glad this came out out before I dropped money on the p320, because I was planning to buy one this Fall.

It's a new pistol and with anything new, it will get sorted out. I just wish Sig took a more proactive approach instead of we meet the requirements and you can volunteer to have an upgrade.
$ 02

Back