Cyber War and America’s Response

TYW27

Verified Military
I wanted to see what your professional thoughts are on state-sponsored hacks and talk a little about what our response as a Nation should be. I’m growing increasingly concerned with state-sponsored attackers and the damage they are doing to this Nation.

I first became aware of how much damage stat-sponsored hackers can do when China attacked OPM The OPM hack explained: Bad security practices meet China's Captain America

Then Equifax Chinese Government Hackers Charged With Massive Equifax Hack

The Marriot Marriott Data Breach Is Traced to Chinese Hackers as U.S. Readies Crackdown on Beijing (Published 2018)

And Anthem Member of Sophisticated China-Based Hacking Group Indicted for Series of Computer Intrusions, Including 2015 Data Breach of Health Insurer Anthem Inc. Affecting Over 78 Million People

The scary thing is realizing that China is building a data base of government and military personnel with details from an SF-86 form and correlated through credit and travel agencies.

Lately the US Government has been scrambling to control the fallout with the alleged Russian attack on SolarWinds with specific targets in the National Treasury, Pentagon, and Department of Energy among others. What We Know About Russia's Alleged Hack Of The U.S. Government And Tech Companies

My question is, when does a cyberattack warrant military action? Or should it? So far we are being reactive (it seems) making movement to contact without any real ability to pro-actively locate and destroy these attackers in the cyber realm.

The scary thing is realizing that China is building a data base of government and military personnel with details from an SF-86 form and correlated through credit and travel agencies.
Bud, that's been going on for a VERY long time. A very, very long time. You can look at the instances of espionage that you're trained on that have been discovered (and consider which ones HAVEN'T been). \

My question is, when does a cyberattack warrant military action? Or should it? So far we are being reactive (it seems) making movement to contact without any real ability to pro-actively locate and destroy these attackers in the cyber realm.
It already does, and has; the problem that most people have is separation of kinetic and non-kinetic response. As we (and the world) drive more and more into full digitalization and informationalization, actions which attack or use information as the weapon become more common, more effective, and more useful overall. Even China speaks on these types of things in some of their documentation when talking about the Informationalization of War. Now, you have to be able to read/understand it in Mandarin... but the white papers are not difficult to find on the clear web.

Bud, that's been going on for a VERY long time. A very, very long time. You can look at the instances of espionage that you're trained on that have been discovered (and consider which ones HAVEN'T been). \

Absolutely I agree with you that China has been doing this (and I’m sure Russia as well) for a long time. However, the OPM breach was pretty significant in my opinion. If they already had all the information they needed on us why continue to gather more?

Then you have the Russian hack with SolarWinds and the different agencies who were impacted- which we still don’t know how bad this is. I think there is a very big difference between stealing information for reconnaissance purposes and an outright digital attack. In my opinion I believe the SolarWinds attack could be considered an open attack against us in the Cyber realm.

My question is: What should our response be?

Let's say the US runs a cyber op that is successful...does anyone think we'll announce our success? Sooner or later someone will talk, but our failures are publicized, do we think China and Russia have the same openness as the US?

Hopefully we wouldn’t announce it to avoid retaliation, but I seem to remember that we did just that when we killed UBL with a top secret Tier I unit.

Our own media would out us as it has in the past.

Let's say the US runs a cyber op that is successful...does anyone think we'll announce our success? Sooner or later someone will talk, but our failures are publicized, do we think China and Russia have the same openness as the US?
At some point, perhaps. It depends on the narrative structure and how we intend to use the story. Whether that becomes an avenue to destroy adversary credibility, loosen belief and morale for the military and its constituent personnel in their command structure... or to cause an inflammatory response, in order to goad the first strike, therefore justifying a swift and decisive response.

My question is: What should our response be?
Wholly depends on who's steering the ship, and what the adversary has done recently.

The bigger picture is less that we are shooting little cyber payload bullets at each other, and more than we're literally waging information warfare. Adversaries are stealing data and pushing narratives less to eliminate, and more to subjugate. And that's really how wars are won, sans, ya know, dropping a literal nuke onto small Japanese regions.

If the right people are in charge, our response will be one that probably undermines the belief in whatever capability we degraded, on the red side.

One publicly announced successful cyber op was operation Glowing Symphony with Joint Task Force ARES.

A great podcast called Darknet Diaries did an interview with one of the Os in charge of the op.

Article

Podcast

Response to any Level 4 or Level 5 cyber attack should be full-spectrum retaliation. Whatever you have that still functions, pull the chain.

Last edited:
One publicly announced successful cyber op was operation Glowing Symphony with Joint Task Force ARES.

A great podcast called Darknet Diaries did an interview with one of the Os in charge of the op.

Article

Podcast

That makes sense that it was made public since it was a terrorist group (ISIS) and not a near-peer adversary like China or Russia.

I would imagine we could kick off WWIII if it was public that we hacked Russia the way they hit us with SUNBURST.

That makes sense that it was made public since it was a terrorist group (ISIS) and not a near-peer adversary like China or Russia.

I would imagine we could kick off WWIII if it was public that we hacked Russia the way they hit us with SUNBURST.
True, but the the reported cyber attack by CYBERCOM against Iranian shipping lanes and the ability to track maritime ships was made public in 2019.

Article

It seems some of these attacks are made public, but not picked up by mainstream media or the general public still hasn't come to full terms with the reality of cyber warfare.

There is a big difference between a cyber intrusion and a cyber attack. One is espionage and the other is warfare. It can be difficult sometimes to define the two with widely accepted terms unfortunately.

Has there ever been a large-scale Title 50 “war”?

There is a big difference between a cyber intrusion and a cyber attack. One is espionage and the other is warfare. It can be difficult sometimes to define the two with widely accepted terms unfortunately.
Could you say that's by design? Seems that gives one an out when determining the response. The cyber side worries me like nothing else. It's far scarier than anything kinetic in my opinion.

Could you say that's by design? Seems that gives one an out when determining the response. The cyber side worries me like nothing else. It's far scarier than anything kinetic in my opinion.
I mean, it shouldn't. We have to take the same mentality as big companies such as Microsoft and assume that either networks have already been compromised (which, in most of these instances, is true) and mitigate what we can. Informationalized warfare is a bitch because it's got so, so many more vectors of attack.

Think of it this way. How would you define an operation to steal some classified files on some emerging technology? There are a number of ways you can do this but I think we would all call this an intelligence operation. You an bribe someone to give you the files, sneak into the office, spy on the office with a telephoto lens, and etc. It's all espionage. What's the difference between that and a cyber intrusion? Conceptually nothing. The objective is not the problem here but the scale. These hackers aren't just stealing one file, they are stealing thousands of files with one fell swoop. This is what makes it hard to define. You can't call something an attack if the intruder didn't actually attack anything.

I think the international community defines a cyber attack as an action in cyberspace that destroys or manipulates something. This can be physical destruction, like when Stuxnet destroyed a centrifuge in an Iranian nuclear facility, or cyber destruction like when the US deleted a Hezbollah database after they took over a British tanker. Denying someone service, like what Russia did to Estonia a few years back, also qualifies. I think that we need to define a third category. Hacking into a military target like the Pentagon is one thing but hacking into our critical infrastructure is another. Where do you put the red lines? What do you do when someone crosses them? Do you respond in kind or with a kinetic attack? No one has good answers to these questions.

Back