So I have been seriously pondering it...

dknob

Ranger
Verified SOF
I have been thinking long and hard about enlisting in the Navy and joining the SEALs. I got out a few years ago, and am about done with my Bachelors.. but dont let that fool you, I have 0 desire to be an officer.

I have already talked to recruiters, know the game plan thats ahead of me.

Any opinions?

None of my business but I have to ask, why would you want to go from one SOF to another in a seprate branch?

I'm aware this may not warrant an answer in which case just ignore this post.

I didn't find my calling in the Regiment, a reason why I did not re-enlist. I think Regiment is in need of some serious changes. They send us on tough objectives overseas to do things conventional military can't. We work side by side with other SOF units from other branches. Overseas we are taken seriously as a competent special operations force.

When in garrison.. that is a completely different story. Im not going to go into details. But former Batt boys know how fuckin gay and ridiculous it can get on a day to day basis. Officers who are conventional at heart come to our unit and attempt to run shit the way they ran it in the 82nd. We had some beacons of hope (Regimental CSM Birch), only to be lost to retirement.

Really? SEALs? I love me some NAVSOF, but why not SF?
Batt boys excel in SF due totheir background in planning and existing skillsets. Additionally, there is much more opportunity for promotion and freedom of movement.
SEALs have their perks, money being the biggest, but include army SOF in the equation. For that matter why not go to the other selection? Either way, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. Good luck brother. :2c:

You know, I dont exactly know what it is. Its more of a voice in my head.. or gut for that matter thats telling me this is a right choice.

As for that "other" selection, I was just too young and still greatly inexperienced to even contemplate something like that. I knew in my mind that my level of maturity (which is very great), could still not be developed enough to make such a commitment.

And plus, I ETSd in 2007. Whatever the outcome.. SF or NAVSOF, I still start at the bottom latter of training. If I was going to do SF, I should have done it two years ago.

You know, I dont exactly know what it is. Its more of a voice in my head.. or gut for that matter thats telling me this is a right choice.

As for that "other" selection, I was just too young and still greatly inexperienced to even contemplate something like that. I knew in my mind that my level of maturity (which is very great), could still not be developed enough to make such a commitment.

And plus, I ETSd in 2007. Whatever the outcome.. SF or NAVSOF, I still start at the bottom latter of training. If I was going to do SF, I should have done it two years ago.

I know a chief in Team 1 who was a SSgt in the Rangers. He had about 8 years of broken time; he went to BUD/s old as sh*t.

Follow your heart brother.
Even if your heart is a squid!!! Traitor!
Kidding. No really... traitor!:cool:

I know a chief in Team 1 who was a SSgt in the Rangers. He had about 8 years of broken time; he went to BUD/s old as sh*t.

LOL, im definitely gonna feel like an old fuck when im out seekin an age waiver. Hah.. I still feel 21.

Was this chief in Somalia '93 as a Ranger. I know one of those TFR guys re-enlisted and did the same thing.

LOL, im definitely gonna feel like an old fuck when im out seekin an age waiver. Hah.. I still feel 21.

Was this chief in Somalia '93 as a Ranger. I know one of those TFR guys re-enlisted and did the same thing.

He may have been, I know he was in Desert Storm as a Ranger

None of my business but I have to ask, why would you want to go from one SOF to another in a seprate branch?

I'm aware this may not warrant an answer in which case just ignore this post.

You want the no shit truth?

The reason I left Regiment basically revolved around one major event that led me to lose all taste for that place.

All has to do with the Ranger Support Companies. In the beginning I did not care that they let these guys in, I thought it was a good idea to get some well needed support dudes that don't go through RIP to help out with mundane tasks (they wore red berets, not tan btw).

If I remember correctly, after about 4-5 months; the head honchos wanted these guys to earn their tan berets by sending them through RIP.....

The end result was far from the that.. In a time frame of about 3-4 days.. they simply administered the Ranger standards on them; the ruck marches, 5 mile run, CWST, and the PT test. If they completed them, they gave them a RIP Grad Cert, and the authorization to wear the tan beret. These disrespecting pieces of shits simply did a test each morning as a substitute to morning PT, and went back to work the rest of the day. Nobody got smoked, nobody got their asses kicked, nothing. And they handed out dozens of unearned tan berets.

I lost alot of respect for Regiment that day, and realized I did not want to be a part of it anymore. Because somebody at the top level decided to shit on all of the guys who got into Regiment the hard way. Still makes me sick thinking about it, and I've been out for almost 3 years.

The reason I left Regiment basically revolved around one major event that led me to lose all taste for that place.

All has to do with the Ranger Support Companies. In the beginning I did not care that they let these guys in, I thought it was a good idea to get some well needed support dudes that don't go through RIP to help out with mundane tasks (they wore red berets, not tan btw).

If I remember correctly, after about 4-5 months; the head honchos wanted these guys to earn their tan berets by sending them through RIP.....

The end result was far from the that.. In a time frame of about 3-4 days.. they simply administered the Ranger standards on them; the ruck marches, 5 mile run, CWST, and the PT test. If they completed them, they gave them a RIP Grad Cert, and the authorization to wear the tan beret. These disrespecting pieces of shits simply did a test each morning as a substitute to morning PT, and went back to work the rest of the day. Nobody got smoked, nobody got their asses kicked, nothing. And they handed out dozens of unearned tan berets.

I lost alot of respect for Regiment that day, and realized I did not want to be a part of it anymore. Because somebody at the top level decided to shit on all of the guys who got into Regiment the hard way. Still makes me sick thinking about it, and I've been out for almost 3 years.
So did you earn you beret by hazing and getting your ass kicked? Seriously, you lost respect for the Ranger Regiment because they hired some much needed help in the support areas? So explain to us who exactly was supposed to do those thankless jobs and how was the Regiment supposed to get people in those roles with the time constraint placed on them? Might need to take a look at the bigger picture that was going on during that time frame.
Like I said before good luck at whatever you choose to do, if we should ever meet maybe we can drink a beer or two and we can discuss your loss of respect for the premier raid force in the Army. :2c:

So did you earn you beret by hazing and getting your ass kicked? Seriously, you lost respect for the Ranger Regiment because they hired some much needed help in the support areas? So explain to us who exactly was supposed to do those thankless jobs and how was the Regiment supposed to get people in those roles with the time constraint placed on them? Might need to take a look at the bigger picture that was going on during that time frame.
Like I said before good luck at whatever you choose to do, if we should ever meet maybe we can drink a beer or two and we can discuss your loss of respect for the premier raid force in the Army. :2c:

If there's anybody to talk this issue over with, its Tyrant !!!

Take his advice with an open mind.

Forgive my ignorance: so have these support guys gone through Ranger School? I thought you had to be a ranger school graduate to wear the tan beret?

I think you misunderstood me. I think having support guys in the Regiment was a good idea. They were just like the SF support guys, but instead of Green Berets they wore Red to signify that they are still support and have not gone through the training to earn the Green Beret. Now imagine one day, somebody decided to give these guys their Green Berets without doing the training. That is exactly what happened in Regiment.

I should clarify what happened, you seem to be getting upset with me when you should not be lol. Around 2005-2006 they created the Ranger Support Copmanies and brought in a whole bunch of support guys from other units or straight out of Airborne school. They have not gone through RIP, nor were they ever supposed to. They wore Red Berets and not the Tan.

What I am upset over, is that somebody let these guys bypass RIP completely for the hell of it when they were never supposed to (they were just fine in their support billets), and still got their tan berets.
You were in Regiment yourself, I don't see how that would not upset you.

And I wanted to add that I did not lose respect for Regiment, I was just getting annoyed thinking about it yesterday while writing it.

Forgive my ignorance: so have these support guys gone through Ranger School? I thought you had to be a ranger school graduate to wear the tan beret?

You don the tan beret the day you graduate RIP.
These support guys were mostly brand new E-2s who did their MOS training and Airborne.

Again, good luck bro. Not pissed at all here. I started a new thread to discuss the RSC's and so we wouldnt hijack your original topic. :)

Back