So What is Next?

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Let's assume for a second that Iraq isn't going to blow up in our faces, and that we ease out of the new westernmost province of Pakistan... I mean "Afghanistan, " on time. What do you forsee as the next major conflagration involving US troops, against what enemy, in what location, and most importantly, when?

I don't know of a who, where, or when, but I predict it will start with a nuke (whether full-blown or a dirty bomb) that our weak economic sanctions failed to prevent.

Whatever it is, whoever we fight, if it is an insurgency then we can go ahead and put an "L" up on the scoreboard. If it involves massive amounts of armor and aircraft with 3-6 months' lead time for a buildup then we're looking like the '72 Dolphins.

I almost expect some Grenada or Panama type nonsense to go down so we can rack up a "W" like the Harlem Globetrotters.

My money is on Africa.
-We have an increasingly larger presence there
-Public sentiment for the plight and suffering of the average African is building
-It's only a matter of time before some sort of terrorist attack is carried out on one of our bases there

Something going down in the Pacific AO is my second choice, just because we have seen a shift in emphasis to that area. We shall see...

My money is on Africa.
-We have an increasingly larger presence there
-Public sentiment for the plight and suffering of the average African is building
-It's only a matter of time before some sort of terrorist attack is carried out on one of our bases there

Something going down in the Pacific AO is my second choice, just because we have seen a shift in emphasis to that area. We shall see...

Forgot to add something else, that may be the most important:

-They are starting to have things (oil, minerals, basing rights) that we GAS about.

Let's assume for a second that Iraq isn't going to blow up in our faces, and that we ease out of the new westernmost province of Pakistan... I mean "Afghanistan, " on time.

Well shit sir, if we're just gonna go off into fantasy land :D ....... I predict we are engaged in a full scale space war on Tattoine within 6-10 years while also fighting a major land war in Asia.

Well shit sir, if we're just gonna go off into fantasy land :D ....... I predict we are engaged in a full scale space war on Tattoine within 6-10 years while also fighting a major land war in Asia.

Better hope Etype's Team is sent to Asia...

:D

Syria. We will be in a shooting war in Syria before the year is out. This is not based on any classified info of course but just a hunch with the election close by.

This is all predicated IF Libya doesn't go to hell in a hand basket.

Syria. We will be in a shooting war in Syria before the year is out. This is not based on any classified info of course but just a hunch with the election close by.

This is all predicated IF Libya doesn't go to hell in a hand basket.

If we go to Syryia we are either going to get our asses handed to us or it will be a conflict like Korea where we walk away limping and bleeding .
Russia, China and Iran will be side by side with the Syrians, not good for us with the state of the economy and the condition of the US armed forces at present.

I think Iran is still high on the list of a conflict zone if Israel lets loose in an attempt to stop a nuclear armed Iran. That we could deal with.

My krystal ball says we'll be invited then get fucked handing out humanitarian supplies while searching for a war lord who controls the distribution of the aid.

Wait...that shit sounded really familiar. :(

Africa for me, Syria not do much. Africa has a lot of untapped resources in quite a few places, Congo for example. Not only mines and minerals, but also agriculturally as well. Personally I think the tyre kicking has already started there.

I don't see a major engagement anytime soon (at least the remainder of the decade). Special Ops will continue to have a high ops tempo and drones etc, basically a continuation of our foreign policy outside of Afghanistan. Low visibility and low causalities will be the goal.

Outside of another 9/11 type event there is no public support for a major engagement in Iran or Syria or anywhere else for that matter.

I don't see a major engagement anytime soon (at least the remainder of the decade). Special Ops will continue to have a high ops tempo and drones etc, basically a continuation of our foreign policy outside of Afghanistan. Low visibility and low causalities will be the goal.

Outside of another 9/11 type event there is no public support for a major engagement in Iran or Syria or anywhere else for that matter.

I've learned that the US population is fickle, and VERY easily influenced. "Oh noes, there is a bad person in Africa! We should send in the Marines!" "We should be supporting the people of Syria!" This is especially true since most Americans will never serve, and many Americans don't know anyone who has ever served.

I think we're one humanitarian disaster or one highly-publicized war crime away from another military misadventure.

Back