Socks and Insoles

I can vouch for SmartWool as far as their running socks go. I own at least a dozen pair. I can only imagine their boot socks would be of the same superior quality. If you do choose SmartWool, check out backcountrydotcom. They offer a pretty deep mil discount.

A note for aspiring, younger, or soon-to-be military members. Whether you are in SOF or not, there are certain things that you cannot and should not go cheap on. Socks is one, boots another, quality running shoes another. Dropping over $10 on a pair of socks may hurt but your feet will be happier after many miles of carrying you. It is entirely possibly to go through selection or qualification courses events with zero blisters or foot problems if you have quality socks and boots. Find what works, save the money, and drop the coin. It's a small part of the entire process but you'll be surprised how broken and miserable you feel if you get blisters and hot spots caused by cheap equipment.

I usually see a mass amount of information regarding boots, but rarely anything about insoles and socks. Also, its always tough to take some reviews to heart on websites because you have no idea what kind of stress people are putting their gear through. So, I thought it would be appropriate to begin a discussion covering the material, thickness, etc. of socks and the performance of soles.

I currently use Wigwam All Terrain Hikers, which IMO is a great mid-weight sock. I have a big problem with Athlete's Foot and since I have started using them its made a 180. I find they don't get stretched out as some socks do and they don't bunch or slide, even when they are soaking wet.

Now, I'm in the market for some soles and I'm debating if I want to go with Superfeet or SOLE's. I've been looking at the Superfeet Orange and Green, as well as, SOLEs Signature DK Response and the Ultra Softecs. Recommendations of these or any better suggestions?
I usually see a mass amount of information regarding boots, but rarely anything about insoles and socks. Also, its always tough to take some reviews to heart on websites because you have no idea what kind of stress people are putting their gear through. So, I thought it would be appropriate to begin a discussion covering the material, thickness, etc. of socks and the performance of soles.

I currently use Wigwam All Terrain Hikers, which IMO is a great mid-weight sock. I have a big problem with Athlete's Foot and since I have started using them its made a 180. I find they don't get stretched out as some socks do and they don't bunch or slide, even when they are soaking wet.

Now, I'm in the market for some soles and I'm debating if I want to go with Superfeet or SOLE's. I've been looking at the Superfeet Orange and Green, as well as, SOLEs Signature DK Response and the Ultra Softecs. Recommendations of these or any better suggestions?
ORTHOTICS - I tried the others, but found for my situation - high arches these worked the best for my application - every day work to hauling elk quarters out to the road in the Rocky Mountains.
Why? Orthotics are a prescription from a Podiatrist = foot doc, that either go on top of the foot bed in your boot or in place of it.
Essentially this is the process.
-The doc interviews you
-Watches you walk
-The doc casts your feet and sends these to a lab with prescription/instructions on what type of orthotic they want molded from the casts
-Once you receive your orthotics you wear them for a few hours at a time gradually increasing the length of time until you can wear them as long as you want.
The benefits for me is -
-Orthotics provide a foundation/alignment of my feet
-Ankles, knees, hips, back are in their proper alignment
-Has reduced knee, hip, and back issues
Wish you the best!

This thread is 4 years old, but I'll weigh in with my thoughts on orthotics.

Several years ago, I went for a long walk in the woods with a heavy back pack. When I finished, I realized something was REALLY wrong with my right foot. I had always been the kind of guy that used the "proper" shoes for my foot type, so when I was referred to an orthopedic clinic, I took the orthotics and listened.

In time, I realized I had become dependent on these orthotics. My feet hurt if I walked barefoot or in flip flops. I knew this couldn't be right, so I had my minimalist shoe revolution.

I now wear Merrel Barefoots, which are the most minimal shoes I've found. I only wear low top boots, and I pick ones that have flat insoles and don't compress easily.

For me, it was a matter of toughening the white tissue in my feet and building the muscles surrounding it. My feet are now good at doing what they are supposed to do, because I gave them the opportunity to do so.

Last edited:
This thread is 4 years old, but I'll weigh in with my thoughts on orthotics.

Several years ago, I went for a long walk in the woods with a heavy back pack. When I finished, I realized something was REALLY wrong with my right foot. I had always been the kind of guy that used the "proper" shoes for my foot type, so when I was referred to an orthopedic clinic, I took the orthotics and listened.

In time, I realized I had become dependent on these orthotics. My feet hurt if I walked barefoot or in flip flops. I knew this couldn't be right, so I had my minimalist shoe revolution.

I now wear Merrel Barefoots, which are the most minimal shoes I've found. I only wear low top boots, and I pick ones that have flat insoles and don't compress easily.

For me, it was a matter of toughening the white tissue in my feet and building the muscles surrounding it. My feet are now good at doing what they are supposed to be, because I gave them the opportunity to do so.

Bravo smash!

Back