SOF support units? Are they SF qualified ?

Im pleased to inform you 2nd platoon has changed :D
When it was my fucking turn, our newb plt Sarn't took it upon himself to tell me no.:mad:

That was a huge reason why I decided to go ahead and leave. There were others, but that did it for me. Im pretty sure he didn't approve of my stunt to get to Panama. That's the only possible reason for me not to go.:mad: :mad:

Ranger Luna said:
Not 'Ranger quald'. That means having graduated Ranger School.

All of the support MOS's had to graduate RIP. All of our support personel made the combat jump into Panama in 89. When needed, they were thrown right in with the rest of us.

That is what has changed.

Say Batt strength, total was 500 total and 100 of those were clerks and cooks etc.. They all had to go through RIP. Now they can have 500 in combat MOS's and 100 support personel.

That's the best way for me to explain it.

Makes sense to me...

Were those ROP/RIP'ed clerks/cooks/etc ever sent to Ranger School?

Makes sense to me...

Were those ROP/RIP'ed clerks/cooks/etc ever sent to Ranger School?
The guys that go through ROP are NCO's that already have their tab. And yes, RIPees get sent to Ranger School after a period of time in Batt. You have to prove yourself worthy of the shot/slot.

I was an M-60 gunner as a PFC in a war zone and after. That is supposed to be a Tabbed E-5 spot.

Are the support units for SOF any more selective than their non-SOF counterparts?

Give me a moment and I'll come back to this reply, edit it, and give you a response.

I'm sure this will be lost in the shuffle.....

160th SOAR has Green Platoon.

Ranger RGT has RIP/ ROP.

SF has nothing.

NSW has nothing that I'm aware of.

Marine folks have nothing that I'm aware of.

AFSOC has nothing for support types, a selection process is/ was around for aircrew on MH-53's but I THINK it went away in the mid-90's.

My Guard unit did an interview, records review, and PT test for our process. Others (and we didn't always do it) had nothing in place to select Support guys. It was purely attrition in our case to weed out the non-hackers.

How long ago was weapons co. converted to weapons sqd? (before my time)

I don't know what you are talking about. In my time we had weapons plt (mortars and 90's etc), but each line plt had a wpns squad with 3 gun teams. Each attachable to a squad.

I don't know what you are talking about. In my time we had weapons plt (mortars and 90's etc), but each line plt had a wpns squad with 3 gun teams. Each attachable to a squad.

alright, youre not as old as I thought :D

my opinion is biast, i liked the black one before they handed them out to everyone, but I got used to the tan. A Black beret on your head isnt always pleasant during a ceremony in the middle of a ft benning summer lol.

Either way, it was just a piece of head gear that we hardly ever wore. I prefered the pc, or no hat at all lol.

Give me a moment and I'll come back to this reply, edit it, and give you a response.

Ranger RGT has RIP/ ROP.

SF has nothing.

AFSOC has nothing for support types, a selection process is/ was around for aircrew on MH-53's but I THINK it went away in the mid-90's.

My Guard unit did an interview, records review, and PT test for our process. Others (and we didn't always do it) had nothing in place to select Support guys. It was purely attrition in our case to weed out the non-hackers.

Thanks for the breakdown, Freefall.

Ranger RGT has RIP/ ROP.

SF has nothing.

Every SOF unit should have something, even if it's just a records check, a PT test, and a phone call to the losing unit's First Sergeant before the guy signs in. But they don't. It ain't that hard to do, it just involves some people getting off their asses to make it happen. It absolutely boggles my mind that support assignments to SF groups, for example, are "needs of the Army." That's ridiculous.

I remember when I graduated BAC, and a handful of graduates to include some chicks, put on a green beenie.:doh:

Yeah, used to be everyone in an SF outfit wore the green beret. Don't know when that chaged.

Yeah, used to be everyone in an SF outfit wore the green beret. Don't know when that chaged.

I THINK it was after the 18 series MOS came online.....I want to say the order came down in 90 or 91 that only 18 series guys could wear the green beret.

Eyes said:
The Urban Legion I heard [years ago!] about that was that some full-bird Colonel saw a SF Support Soldier that just so happened to be a Pregnant Female [whom was obviously VERY pregnant at the time] in Maternity BDU's and the Green Beanie" and he completely flipped out. And, that was the end of anyone to whom wasn't long tabbed from wearing it...

At least that's how the legend goes, I don't know if there is any truth to the story...

I love those guys that would always wear the Gortex back-in-the-day so to hide the fact that they were flat-liners... Especially ones that were privy to the ware of a Beret that would make them appear to be more high-speed than they really were... :D

I heard that urban legend as well. I have no idea whether it's true or not. The whole time I've been in, only SF-qual'd guys wore the green beret.

Back