Some Ranger Pix

Just out of interest, How long would one normally serve in the Batts? I understand with OP TEMPO the burnout would be high.. Could a Pvt go in for his entire career ? (obviously go up through the ranks to Senior enlisted)

97% of those in NCO positions, TL to CSM, grew up in battalion. Most guys don't really have to leave until they get to the CSM level, as they have to go be a CSM in the big army before they can be a CSM in battalion. Actually, I'm not sure if that is a 'rule' or not, but that's how it usually works out. A good example of the dedication a lot of these guys have would be the late SFC Domeij, who was on his 14th straight deployment when he was KIA.

Guys do take temporary breaks. Some will spend some time as RASP or Pre-Ranger cadre, some guys might do RTB (not as common). But this isn't the 80s or 90s where guys spend one four year tour and then move on to other assignments and then come back later.

You can definitely make 20 years in the Regiment.. you might not have all of it in a line company as there might not be PSG slots and you might have to spend some time in S3 or other assignments within until something is available.

CSM Merritt I think had 16 deployments before he took over at 10th Mountain. x1 to Panama, x1 to Somalia, and x14 throughout Iraq and Afghanistan. Considering he was a 1SG when 9/11 happened and became a E-9 in 2002... his 14ish deployments in this time is VERY impressive.

Guys do take temporary breaks. Some will spend some time as RASP or Pre-Ranger cadre, some guys might do RTB (not as common). But this isn't the 80s or 90s where guys spend one four year tour and then move on to other assignments and then come back later.

You can definitely make 20 years in the Regiment.. you might not have all of it in a line company as there might not be PSG slots and you might have to spend some time in S3 or other assignments within until something is available.

CSM Merritt I think had 16 deployments before he took over at 10th Mountain. x1 to Panama, x1 to Somalia, and x14 throughout Iraq and Afghanistan. Considering he was a 1SG when 9/11 happened and became a E-9 in 2002... his 14ish deployments in this time is VERY impressive.

CSM Merritt is not human. He is some sort of Ranger-Alien sent here to lead Ranger-humans in combat.

Old:

rangersold.jpg

New:

RangerNew.jpg

Back in the day, the original "Old Recruiting Poster" had the same caption at the bottom. It changed a couple of years later and was reformatted with the slogan shown.

Hey, that guy isn't actually a Ranger. Weirddddd

As I recall CSM Merritt did leave the Regiment at one point to go and be an instructor down at the jungle warfare course in Panama. Can somebody spot check me if I'm off base? I remember talking to him about it in Afghanistan back in 2004. Definitely a Ranger legend, no doubt about that.

He did a Sherman stint in the 90s. And he also didn't start off in Regiment. He was with a Inf unit out of Germany for a short while

I've seen the original with the 'This Man is a Ranger' in a book somewhere. I didn't realize they changed it to 'Join the Rangers.' I figured that must have happened when the Battalions were stood up. The new one is very cool.

622690_524083037607392_33521007_o.jpg

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country…

Today, Sept. 30, 2012, marks the 4,000th day the Rangers of the 75th Ranger Regiment have been continuously deployed in combat against terrorists and insurgents in the War on Terror.

On October 19, 2001, Rangers from 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, selected as one of the first responders to the 9/11 terrorist attacks on our Nation, conducted a daring, low level airborne assault onto an airfield in Kandahar, Afghanistan, spearheading the ground operations against Al Qaeda and the Taliban.

…I shall defeat them on the field of battle.

Rangers Lead The Way!

(U.S. Army Photo Illustration by Spc. Garry L. McFadden)

They're metal boxes with no AC and a flat hull that doesn't protect against IEDs, but, they are fast.

Ive never used them in Afghanistan but the ones we used in Iraq were retrofitted with A/C. My primary reason for hating them stems from the fact that I am 6'5" and was stuck as the RWS gunner on more than one occasion. Anyone familiar with how much space there is in that area of the stryker would understand why I hate them so...

Sharing this.

53619_523627370985000_449956326_o.jpg

At this point in the day, most of us were out of ammo, surrounded by hundreds of enemy trying to kill us as we defended one of our fallen. There are two things that I have learned over the past 19 years that are the worst that can happen to a soldier. First, to be found wanting of your mates. Second, to be forgotten. I will never forget what happened on 3 OCT 93. I am proud to have served with those that were there that Sunday. Stay in touch, RLTW. dito

Back