Some Ranger Pix

I meant the original source, it seems like an official Army public release.

I still cant believe combat cameramen are following around batt boys.

I meant the original source, it seems like an official Army public release.

I still cant believe combat cameramen are following around batt boys.

The fucked up thing about PERSEC is that the worse fucks at breaching it is the Army itself!

Is there really a need for photo-journalists to tag along during a mission? Is it because of the "the public has the right to know" line of thinking?

I mean if they have to be there, I can understand if the pictures they release were from 4 years ago. What I don't get is they are allowed to release fairly recent photos along with the unit and the names. And if you read the credits, most of the photographers are US Army/Navy personnel!

Is there really a need for photo-journalists to tag along during a mission? Is it because of the "the public has the right to know" line of thinking?

I mean if they have to be there, I can understand if the pictures they release were from 4 years ago. What I don't get is they are allowed to release fairly recent photos along with the unit and the names. And if you read the credits, most of the photographers are US Army/Navy personnel!

Yes there is. Do those photographs have to be released is the big question.
I am in favor of releasing some photos. The problem is the PA/Combat Camera folks do the photo clearing (saves man power), the unit should have final say on releases, and captions. That way the public gets a small glimpse (which they sometimes deserve) and the operation/operators keep out of the spotlight.

Dude I really don't know whats going on with Ranger batt right now. When I was in from 03 to 07, for every objective we rolled out on in Iraq we were always nut to butt in our Strykers. If somebody told us we had to bring a cameraman around, we all would have been in shock. And plus, picture taking was such a huge issue before. Even though a lot of us still did it, they told us not to bring any cameras. I mean, it just doesn't make sense why these dudes are rolling out with us, so if there are any currently serving batt boys, please explain to us.

Why is there a distinct lack of helmet covers now?
Half of the helmets in this thread are shiny as fuck, there isn't even textured paint being used by the looks of it.
Have we lost that lesson of old? Or...?

I have often wondered the same. I know we dont wear them during U/O due to flammables sticking to the scrim/cover etc but every time I go to Waiberia on some godforsaken leadership course its scrim on and dont light a smoke wearing your bowler.

Also how come guys are keeping their NODs on during the day? I tried that and wrecked an AN/PVS-18 on the first doorway I went through.

Also how come guys are keeping their NODs on during the day? I tried that and wrecked an AN/PVS-18 on the first doorway I went through.

Lots of those photos are taken during dawn or dusk. Some of the ones that are apparent that its pretty light out comes down to leadership. It should not be that way, guys should take initiative but some platoons are robot like. So much for Sua Sponte huh?

As for helmet covers, I don't know if there is a real solid answer other than it violates the cool guy factor. There are some perks to not having one though, especially with the various attachments that I have used and others use.

As for the combat camera, I heard it had to do with documenting for historical data/missions. Somewhere along the lines if anyone who has ever been inside the SOCOM or USASOC museums, Rangers lack photos. We always had to scrounge photos from personal cameras to be sent to HQ or SOCOM.

As for the combat camera, I heard it had to do with documenting for historical data/missions. Somewhere along the lines if anyone who has ever been inside the SOCOM or USASOC museums, Rangers lack photos. We always had to scrounge photos from personal cameras to be sent to HQ or SOCOM.

Well there is a perfectly good and valid reason for that.

How did they like the SCAR's???

Depends on who you talk to. A few of the members here have shot them, if you search for SCAR on this board you'll find some reviews/ thoughts. You may have to wade through a few pages' worth of posts, but the info is out there.

Back