SOWT to SR

Appaloosa123

Unverified
From my limited understanding, the job of a SOWT as it is now is to gather and dispense weather data to aid aircraft. Is the job of a SOWT (now SR) in of itself changing? Recruiter made a comment about attempting to incorporate all AFSOF including SOWTs into “access packages” and how this change would allow them to be more impactful. I apologize if this is easily discoverable information.

From my limited understanding, the job of a SOWT as it is now is to gather and dispense weather data to aid aircraft. Is the job of a SOWT (now SR) in of itself changing? Recruiter made a comment about attempting to incorporate all AFSOF including SOWTs into “access packages” and how this change would allow them to be more impactful. I apologize if this is easily discoverable information.
Partially correct. They will still send weather obs out so the guessers in Omaha and Florida can tweak their data.
Common misconception is the data is only needed on the drop/assault zone.
The obs go into the data base and everyone gets a better forecast.
That said, the SOWT's were doing a lot of non-weather stuff (not for here) and a lot the Weather folks at higher headquarters (not AFSOC) were trying to put them back into the 90's mindset of weather only.
Changing it to SR and removing a lot of unused weather training formalizes what was already being done. The new AFSC will be more demanding tactically as SCUBA becomes a requirement vice enhancement.
Also the three career fields SR, PJ, CC will all have the same tactical schools and intermingle better.
This is the first of many upcoming changes that will make AFSOC's operators more lethal.
We will see how "access packages" work out in the future, though I admit I never heard that term until you put it out there.
I would also argue that they make a huge impact on the battle field, just don't get as much publicity as SF.

Understood, so SOWTs had begun to serve a different role than they had historically so this change to SR is a recognition of that. Sounds like an extremely interesting career field; excited to learn more. Thank you for your time and knowledge sir.

I have copied and pasted this quote from NEWSREP (news organization run by veterans). I have no idea of its legitimacy but I was hoping someone could explain the terms I have listed below in civilian speak for me.

“Capable of rapid deployment during day or night, to any environment, including permissive, hostile, denied, or politically and/or diplomatically sensitive locales. Conducts Preparation of the Environment activities utilizing indigenous sources, organic equipment, and remote-controlled technology. Integrates SR into Military Decision-Making Processes and Intelligence Preparation of the Operational Environment channels to maximize combat power.

The Special Reconnaissance Apprentice Course is where candidates learn the core skills of the SR job. The primary focus of the course will be on reconnaissance, surveillance, target interdiction, and long-range precision engagement. There will still be training on the gathering and analyzing of environmental and meteorological data—a residue from the SOWT career field—but to a much lesser extent”.

Terms:
Reconnaissance - what does it mean in this context?
Target interdiction- is this another term for direct action?
Long range precision engagement- first thing that comes to mind involves rifles but maybe aircraft as well?
Preparation of the environment - completely unsure of this term.

If any of this or all of this cannot be spoken of in an open forum I completely understand.
Thank you for your help on this topic.

Source: Special Reconnaissance: The Air Force releases information on its new Special Operations job | NEWSREP

Here's a better source with actual links to verify information. Although I'll caveat what they have detailed as the new mission set with, they don't exactly do human Intelligence operations, it's more gathering intelligence on human targets not through, as that requires an authority to do so and has been given to other personal within AFSOC.

Air Force Special Recon has Arrived-Details Here - AF Special Warfare

Taken from the link above^

"SR operators will be operating under the AFSOC team ‘Access’ packages. These teams include Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen whose purpose is to survey and prepare access for aircraft and other SOF assets. These “left of bang” type of mission will include setting up and securing aircraft landing zones, drop zones and assault zones, among other special interest areas.
Special Recon operators will aid military decision makers by performing Operational Preparation of the Environment activities that inform planners knowledge of the battlefield and perform target development. Some of the tools used to gain this information will include cyber, space, human intel and unmanned aerial systems to conduct their activities..."

Am I wrong to think that this sounds awfully similar to Army Rangers previously assumed mission? Specifically the first paragraph.

Overall, this sounds bad ass.

Am I wrong to think that this sounds awfully similar to Army Rangers previously assumed mission? Specifically the first paragraph.
SR is SR. Lots of different organizations in DOD do SR. I'm not sure why we need ANOTHER group to do SR, but I'm sure people in the AF who are smarter than me know why.

I dunno..."setting up and securing aircraft landing zones, drop zones and assault zones, among other special interest areas" I think is meant differently than the older Ranger DA mission of attacking and holding a hostile enemy airfield.

Considering that AFSOC has a history of integrating with other units, I consider this as bringing more to the fight rather than a standalone capability. Sure, CCT's have done clandestine work before (Iran), but I just don't see a lot of scenarios where the Access Packages will go in alone instead of attached to a unit like the 75th.

Considering that AFSOC has a history of integrating with other units, I consider this as bringing more to the fight rather than a standalone capability. Sure, CCT's have done clandestine work before (Iran), but I just don't see a lot of scenarios where the Access Packages will go in alone instead of attached to a unit like the 75th.

Was thinking more of temporary airfields, like in Gardez In 2002, or temp drop zones for specific reasons with a small force footprint...etc.

SR is SR. Lots of different organizations in DOD do SR. I'm not sure why we need ANOTHER group to do SR, but I'm sure people in the AF who are smarter than me know why.
Environmental Reconaissance has always been a subset of SR. That's why we did weather training.

It can be considered a stand alone capability; a STT on the assault zone prior to a drop or landing is essentially a stand alone mission. I know 4 weather bubba's with stars on their HALO wings.

CCT did a ton of assault zone surveys in OEF and OIF, all stand alone.

Back