Special Ops schools

Are you sure that SEALs are not operational after SQT???

Good point. As I understood it from the comfort of my keyboard, after SQT they go to a Team and are then placed, at the needs of the Team, into the deployment train-up process which I thought was about 18 months long. That's how it was explained to me at least a few years ago.

i thought if dude is done with sqt and he shows up to his team right before a deployment he is most certainlygetting his feet wet ondeployment.

Diesel_Actual is not and has never been in the Military so his information may not be accurate on this subject. :2c:

Yep, your correct sir, I am just an civilian sector ass-clown. But for what it's worth, which isn't much, I am the son of a 32 yr served USN MCPO who spent a good while teaching a SERE school in Florida that alot of SEALs attended.
Anyways, perhaps "operational" is a bad choice of words, but after the 26 wks of SQT (wiki is wrong btw, it says 15wks, iirc), the new SEALs are on a probationary period of up-to 18 months (according to a NSW PR officer I know), I believe if a platoon was in desperate need of an operator, he could be deployed downrange, although I think it would be in bad judgment (I would think they would pull a operator from Team 17/18), but what do I know.
Last I checked, the SEALs deployment schedule is still 18 month work-up and 6 months combat, which is where the 18 month probationary period for new froggies plays in. SEAL missions have become so complex that the 18 month work-up is completely necessary, it wouldn't make much sense to drop a new frog into a platoon that's about to deploy (referencing Couch on that)

Yep, your correct sir, I am just an civilian sector ass-clown. But for what it's worth, which isn't much, I am the son of a 32 yr served USN MCPO who spent a good while teaching a SERE school in Florida that alot of SEALs attended.
Anyways, perhaps "operational" is a bad choice of words, but after the 26 wks of SQT (wiki is wrong btw, it says 15wks, iirc), the new SEALs are on a probationary period of up-to 18 months (according to a NSW PR officer I know), I believe if a platoon was in desperate need of an operator, he could be deployed downrange, although I think it would be in bad judgment (I would think they would pull a operator from Team 17/18), but what do I know.
Last I checked, the SEALs deployment schedule is still 18 month work-up and 6 months combat, which is where the 18 month probationary period for new froggies plays in. SEAL missions have become so complex that the 18 month work-up is completely necessary, it wouldn't make much sense to drop a new frog into a platoon that's about to deploy (referencing Couch on that)

Alright I don't normally comment on SEAL matters since I don't have a trident but here goes. What SERE school is in Florida? You don't make a very persuasive case about the military education you received from your father if you cite a school that I have never heard of. Are you talking about water survival for pilots??? Anyway SEALs have a long pipeline. All special operations forces have a long pipeline. Next topic.

Alright I don't normally comment on SEAL matters since I don't have a trident but here goes. What SERE school is in Florida? You don't make a very persuasive case about the military education you received from your father if you cite a school that I have never heard of. Are you talking about water survival for pilots??? Anyway SEALs have a long pipeline. All special operations forces have a long pipeline. Next topic.

NAS Pensacola/Eglin AFB, which is open water survival school, IIRC it operated more broadly when he had a gig there, I can't remember if SEALs attended there or not, but I remember knowing quite a few SEALs when we were in P-cola. But the one I was referring to is no longer operating, I can't remember the location right now but it was south/central Florida, but we are talking back in the '60s and '70s, and it wasn't a school that everyone attended. I'll get back to ya on that.

But anyways, I wasn't really trying to make a "persuasive case", just making a point that I'm not a complete military outsider as I spent many years on many different Navy bases, which doesn't really mean dick.

NAS Pensacola/Eglin AFB, which is open water survival school, IIRC it operated more broadly when he had a gig there, I can't remember if SEALs attended there or not, but I remember knowing quite a few SEALs when we were in P-cola. But the one I was referring to is no longer operating, I can't remember the location right now but it was south/central Florida, but we are talking back in the '60s and '70s, and it wasn't a school that everyone attended. I'll get back to ya on that.

But anyways, I wasn't really trying to make a "persuasive case", just making a point that I'm not a complete military outsider as I spent many years on many different Navy bases, which doesn't really mean dick.

It's funny that you call P'cola "SERE". I went there. It's not SERE. SEALs didn't attend the three day land survival package, aircrew did.

Did you teach there, or did your daddy? My father was a greenskeeper. Doesn't make me an expert in grass...

Back