Special Ops schools

cbiwv

Banned
Without turning this into a male organ measuring contest which U.S. Special Ops has the longest period of schooling before they are considered a member of the organization? Is it the Navy Seals? I thought I read somewhere that they do.

I can say unequivocally that MARSOC places dead ass last of the last in this catagory. A&S, ITC, SERE, TCCC, next deploying company. And for some of the "GrandFathers" you can skip the first two. After that, some of the team guys will not take post deployment leave or pre deployment leave just to fit in a school, then redeploy. Our system..........well, we have no system, is pretty fucked. That and there is no MOS or bonus so Big Marine Corp and MARSOC can't figure out why guys are burning out and leaving the Marine Corp all togeter.
****Sorry, Ranting a bit****

Without turning this into a male organ measuring contest which U.S. Special Ops has the longest period of schooling before they are considered a member of the organization? Is it the Navy Seals? I thought I read somewhere that they do.

Depends. Do you mean just the SOF school itself or are you including basic training, AIT/ Tech School/ A School (and for the Army guys jump school)?

Plus, are you talking about walking into the unit, on a probationary status, etc.?

Also, what job do you want? The 18B timeline is a lot different from the 18D timeline, but both are Special Forces qualified.

You are trying to quantify something that has a very broad scope.

I can say unequivocally that MARSOC places dead ass last of the last in this catagory. A&S, ITC, SERE, TCCC, next deploying company. And for some of the "GrandFathers" you can skip the first two. After that, some of the team guys will not take post deployment leave or pre deployment leave just to fit in a school, then redeploy. Our system..........well, we have no system, is pretty fucked. That and there is no MOS or bonus so Big Marine Corp and MARSOC can't figure out why guys are burning out and leaving the Marine Corp all togeter.
****Sorry, Ranting a bit****

If it makes you feel better I understand.

If we are excluding basic training/AIT... but not Airborne:

CCT:23-25 Months
PJ: 16 months
SF Medic: 20 months minimum
CAG: ASC + OTC = 7 months
SEAL: BUD/s (6 months) + SQT (4.5 months) = like 11 months ... although some SEALs might spend another 5-12 weeks in Pre BUD/s programs.

I think the 75th is dead last with 11 weeks (airborne included).

I got all that from wikipedia. And it "should" not include non-mandatory training, although most get sent to core schools while in house
i personally always thought it was PJ training, guess not.

What about SOWT in AFSOC? I was thinking the initial weather school is several months in length and much of the remainder is similar to the CCT pipeline if I'm not mistaken.

^ didn't even know they were SOF

SOWT; Special Operations Weather Team. Part of the Special Tactics Community. Assesment at lackland (4 weeks?), 6 months of weather school, Special tactics Training squadron at Hurlburt, Combat Control School segments at Pope. Takes 12-18 months (IIRC) or so to get through the current pipeline.

Ask Surgicalcric how long it took to dawn his "Green Beret"

You will have a new found appreciation for SF Medics. I'm betting he'd tell you to "Never quit" regardless of length of program and additional skill set training. And, I think anybody that went through that experience would tell you that donning the "Green Beret" was "just the start"

Amazing men.

Although some pipelines are longer than others, continued training doesn't stop once you are a member of whatever unit you are apart of. Marsoc and Recon still go to a lot of advanced schools after they are apart of their battalion.

If a persons decision on which course of action to follow, as it applies to the various disciplines inside SOF, hinges on the length of the pipeline I would that they not worry about SOF and stick to something which requires less dedication and resolution on their part.

We have enough guys in SOF already who need to be coddled and have the back patted at every gate...we need no more.

Crip

If a persons decision on which course of action to follow, as it applies to the various disciplines inside SOF, hinges on the length of the pipeline I would that they not worry about SOF and stick to something which requires less dedication and resolution on their part.

We have enough guys in SOF already who need to be coddled and have the back patted at every gate...we need no more.

Crip

Word.

Hmmmm... My first TS and SGM used size 10 Chippewas to 'back pat' in the 4th point of contact... and coddling was done with boiling water, just like an egg.

IMNSHO... anybody that makes it through the selection, training and acceptance period for any Special Operations Unit has nothing to be ashamed of, being a productive member of the Team is what it's all about.

Shit I almost spent as much time at SWC as I did in High School,lol. But I am a weirdo medic so your mileage may vary.

I don't know what unit has the most the required training before being considered operational,

The US Navy SEAL selection/training pipeline (current)
1. Enlistment to Navy
2. If applicant is entering Navy under the SEAL(SO) contract he will be enrolled into a prep program @ Great Lakes prior to Navy boot. Prep program is 2 months + standard Navy Boot
3. Now to Coronado, Bud/s orientation: 3 weeks
4. BUD/s First Phase w/ HELL WEEK
5. BUD/s Second Phase
6.BUD/s Third Phase
7. Graduate BUD/s(phases 1,2,3 = 6 months) but still not a SEAL yet
8. Attend US ARMY AIRBORNE school
9. Enrollment in SEAL qualification training/SQT after which the man gets his Trident, but he is still not a operational SEAL yet, first he must complete another 18+months of individual/platoon/special skill training in the Team he is placed, during which he may attend many other NSW/Joint training schools, for example NSW Scout/Sniper School, Camp Atterbury, Indiana
Selection for specialty teams, namely SDVT, can add many more months of required training.

Add that all up, it puts it at over 2 years before an operational SEAL is produced. Also note, over 40% of all SEALs are qualified combat corpsmen.

I don't know what unit has the most the required training before being considered operational,

1. Enlistment to Navy
2. If applicant is entering Navy under the SEAL(SO) contract he will be enrolled into a prep program @ Great Lakes prior to Navy boot. Prep program is 2 months + standard Navy Boot
5. BUD/s Second Phase
6.BUD/s Third Phase
9. Enrollment in SEAL qualification training/SQT after which the man gets his Trident, but he is still not a operational SEAL yet, first he must complete another 18+months of individual/platoon/special skill training in the Team he is placed, during which he may attend many other NSW/Joint training schools, for example NSW Scout/Sniper School, Camp Atterbury, Indiana
Selection for specialty teams, namely SDVT, can add many more months of required training.

Add that all up, it puts it at over 2 years before an operational SEAL is produced. Also note, over 40% of all SEALs are qualified combat corpsmen.

Correction, as of 2003, BUD/s Graduates no longer attend Army Airborne school, instead receive parachute training @ Navy's Tactical Air Operations School in San Diego, CA = 4.5 wks

1. Enlistment to Navy
5. BUD/s Second Phase
6.BUD/s Third Phase

That is some impressive stuff right there. My deepest respect to those who earn the Trident.

Back